Page 1 of 12 123 ... LastLast

Should Preseason be cancelled?

Due to coronavirus of course.. but also I think this would create the interesting opportunity of seeing what the regular season would be like without a preseason.

Pros: less injuries, more excitement for week one

Cons: not giving undrafted players as much of a chance as well as players working off any rust.

The rust I'm not so worried about.. these guys are professionals and the best and most dedicated players are still going to come out ready to go. It's the hidden gems that are missing out but they'd still have some opportunity at training camp.

This is still a bit far away but still I think the NFL will start getting ready to discuss.

Blog Entries

Re: Should Preseason be cancelled?

No

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    No
    So you want guys putting themselves at risk of a virus to play a meaningless exhibition game?

We are talking August, good gravy ,some peoples intelligence never ceases to amaze me!

The overreaction is crazy. Preseason is 6 months away. Training camp in 5. Let's see how all of this progresses before we go jumping the gun. Absolutely no reason for the NFL to be discussing this at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed bird View Post
    We are talking August, good gravy ,some peoples intelligence never ceases to amaze me!
    August is only 5 months away. Even the swine flu in 2009 lasted for over a year and coronavirus is a lot worse than that was.

Quote Originally Posted by Minion View Post
    The overreaction is crazy. Preseason is 6 months away. Training camp in 5. Let's see how all of this progresses before we go jumping the gun. Absolutely no reason for the NFL to be discussing this at this point.
    Quothdaraven said it best

To people still thinking this is an overreaction

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post
    It isn’t overblown. It is a pandemic.

If you think it’s overblown you don’t understand the implications of a novel, dangerous, and easily transmissible pathogen into an immunologically naive population in the era of jet travel.

Even conservative fatality rate estimates are far above influenza, and the severity of illness it’s generating in healthy people without other illnesses is significant.

This is a serious respiratory illness in the SARS category (the virus’ actual name is SARS-CoV2, the illness it causes is Covid-19).

If you don’t believe any of that, if you think this is “just the flu” and it’s overblown... well, flu season puts significant strain on the US health system. Covid-19 isn’t being substituted in for the flu. It’s additive. So a system already operating at close to maximal capacity with healthcare-workers getting sick now has to find dozens, hundreds, thousands of beds for patients with severe bilateral interstitial pneumonia from coronavirus? How many ventilators does your local hospital have?

We are way behind the 8-ball. Only today they’re suspending sporting events and sending college kids home. Only today travel is being restricted. Way way way late.

Look at China. Screening tens of thousands of people. Quarantining an entire city of 12 million people. Building entire new hospitals to deal with the sick. Now their epidemic is waning because of how fiercely aggressively they’re “social distancing.” Korea has flattened the curve through aggressive screening protocols.

Now look at Italy. Or Iran. I’m serious, go read about it. Read about what’s happening to a healthcare system that’s overwhelmed.

If we can “flatten the curve” and slow down transmission enough to keep from getting overwhelmed, we have a chance. Otherwise if we don’t take the right steps, when the dust settles and the pandemic is over, pretty much everyone in America will personally know someone (or know OF someone) who got severely sick or died from Covid-19.

Vaccines and treatment regimens are in the pipeline. I don’t think it’s all doom and gloom. But I think the time to really get serious about this was more than a month ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

just canceled the spring sessions and MLB just ceased their season.

March Madness is going to have to cancel - that is a HUGE money maker for college, much more than football...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Quothdaraven said it best

To people still thinking this is an overreaction
    I'm not saying that we shouldn't be preparing and fighting this, but the overreaction in this thread in particular is ridiculous. Cancel something 6 months away over something that literally no one knows anything the full impact? If it's still rampant at that time, then sure, but there's 0 reason the NFL should even consider this right now. I'm not saying to ignore this and treat it as just another sickness, but the hysteria is so over the top.

Quote Originally Posted by Minion View Post
    I'm not saying that we shouldn't be preparing and fighting this, but the overreaction in this thread in particular is ridiculous. Cancel something 6 months away over something that literally no one knows anything the full impact? If it's still rampant at that time, then sure, but there's 0 reason the NFL should even consider this right now. I'm not saying to ignore this and treat it as just another sickness, but the hysteria is so over the top.
    I never said cancel it right now but that the NFL should start talking about it in preparation. If it's still this prominent by July (if not more) I think its an easy decision at that point.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

IT'S MONTHS AWAY! How long do you think this is going to last?

Blog Entries

If coronavirus is still as big an issue 3-4 months from now that this needs to be discussed, society as a whole is going to have a lot more to be concerned about than whether or not PS games need to be canceled imo.