Page 3 of 742 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: OT - coronavirus

There's a few critical issues around the sureveillance data. Mostly, there's a lot of under reporting of non-fatal or non-critical cases, which obviously take them out of the sample and push mortality and hospitalization rates up. So that's a major issue in all public health sureveillance data (Think about when you have the cold or even the flu - if you dont need to go to the doctor or hospital, you don't report it - same concept).

When I say "create conditions to isolate" it feeds into that common sense stuff. If you have a job that you can continue to do from the comfort of your own home then employers should be pushing to create those conditions. It limits exposure without going into shutdown mode. It's the fine line between doing enough and not doing too much.

The real issue with this virus is the transmission pattern, including asymptomic transmission pre-and-post virus are unclear and those are the basis of public health guidelines making ti really hard to give recommendations.

Common sense is the way to go.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Mass testing and creating conditions to isolate is the way to go.

It won't stop it and I dont think the goal is to stop it. I think it's to make it manageable. If you limit exposure you can limit the rapid incresae in cases that will stress health care systmes.
    That's why I would just close schools for the next three weeks and let adults work from home unless their job requires them to be present.

If schools stay open you'll have the soccer moms start freaking out every time someone associated with a school tests positive for coronavirus. Just be proactive about it.

Quote Originally Posted by DrUnk View Post
    Valid points, but I am at high risk, and a microbiologist, but the hysteria is getting out of hand. Not saying to ignore it, but the mainstream media has painted this as the the end. MERS did't wipe us all out, nor SARS, nor Ebola, nor Marburg, etc. Take precautions, but fear is overtaking common sense. Use some common sense, and practice hygiene, and stop hoarding toilet paper and everything else! :-)
    I still struggle with what I think the appropriate response should be. On the one hand, the cumulative public health impact will be high because of almost the perfect storm of a long incubation period, a high infection rate and a very wide spectrum of disease severity resulting in a large pool of minimally symptomatic infections that serves as an ongoing reservoir of virus. Even at low mortality rates, if we multiply the number of expected deaths by 4 (since historically 1/4 of acute respiratory distress syndrome patients die) the number of ventilators needed to support will be enormous. Given that potential, it appears that every effort should be made to minimize the rate of disease spread.

On the other hand, how do you justify shutting down the entire country to the 80% (just a guess on my part) who will have very mild symptoms? Not all of them have the option to work from home or practice social distancing or whatever buzzy word you want to apply to quarantining. What happens to the restaurant workers and hairdressers and the like if their livelihoods are taken away? not just for a week or two, but potentially months?

Either way, this pandemic is seems likely to have significant effects on the most medically and financially vulnerable members of society unless we find another way to mitigate its health impact.

Edit: agree with others that effective screening and targeted isolation program is the way to go, if possible.
    Last edited by Entropy; 03-11-2020 at 10:54 PM.

I gotta say, I love this board.

You guys and gals are amazing and I’m proud to be one of you.

The level of discourse on a variety of topics, the quality of the thoughts, the humanity and friendship of the posters.

The internet with its cancel culture and toxic cesspit of interactions can be a shitty lens through which to view the world.

Y’all give me hope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by DrUnk View Post
    I'm more concerned about my 401, or what's left of it...
    My 401k is in safer stuff too. Investment companies usually have funds you can choose based on when you plan to retire; my 401 is in T. Rowe’s 2020 fund, which has been shifting to less risky stocks & bonds for years.

This just happened with Fred Hoiberg getting sick at the Big Ten tournament.

https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/s...31638236917763
    @BleacherReport
    Nebraska coach Fred Hoiberg has left the game early to be taken to the hospital to get checked out after feeling sick, per @GoodmanHoops

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    How is everyone making it and have you made drastic changes?

Sporting events are starting to announce games with no fans. My company like many has halted all non essential travel.

March Madness, NBA, MLB, NHL with empty stadiums?
    My wife's school has extended spring break but a week. Aa county schools have stated they're prepared to teach online if needed.

We're preparing by going to Disney tomorrow. Will let you guys know how the impact seems there.

I do fully expect that my work office will go fully remote before we're back.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by QuothDaRaven View Post
    It isn’t overblown. It is a pandemic.

If you think it’s overblown you don’t understand the implications of a novel, dangerous, and easily transmissible pathogen into an immunologically naive population in the era of jet travel.

Even conservative fatality rate estimates are far above influenza, and the severity of illness it’s generating in healthy people without other illnesses is significant.

This is a serious respiratory illness in the SARS category (the virus’ actual name is SARS-CoV2, the illness it causes is Covid-19).

If you don’t believe any of that, if you think this is “just the flu” and it’s overblown... well, flu season puts significant strain on the US health system. Covid-19 isn’t being substituted in for the flu. It’s additive. So a system already operating at close to maximal capacity with healthcare-workers getting sick now has to find dozens, hundreds, thousands of beds for patients with severe bilateral interstitial pneumonia from coronavirus? How many ventilators does your local hospital have?

We are way behind the 8-ball. Only today they’re suspending sporting events and sending college kids home. Only today travel is being restricted. Way way way late.

Look at China. Screening tens of thousands of people. Quarantining an entire city of 12 million people. Building entire new hospitals to deal with the sick. Now their epidemic is waning because of how fiercely aggressively they’re “social distancing.” Korea has flattened the curve through aggressive screening protocols.

Now look at Italy. Or Iran. I’m serious, go read about it. Read about what’s happening to a healthcare system that’s overwhelmed.

If we can “flatten the curve” and slow down transmission enough to keep from getting overwhelmed, we have a chance. Otherwise if we don’t take the right steps, when the dust settles and the pandemic is over, pretty much everyone in America will personally know someone (or know OF someone) who got severely sick or died from Covid-19.

Vaccines and treatment regimens are in the pipeline. I don’t think it’s all doom and gloom. But I think the time to really get serious about this was more than a month ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    this guy viruses

one of the craziest stories of all time
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1919_Stanley_Cup_Finals

Hang in there yaal. I audit custodians at the hospital. I gotta go in 24 rooms a day with a clear solution to spray in 10 (high-touch) areas, then return the next day with a blacklight to see if the spray has been removed. Been getting good scores to those wondering, but I am taking all of the usual precautions. Pediatric units require staff to wear medical masks before entering rooms as of yesterday. Additionally for those who don’t know, each door tells of which precautions should be taken before entering a room. Proper hand hygiene, and proper use of personal protective equipment is listed on the door. My hospital hasn’t publicly announced that the virus is there yet, but higher-ups have said there are a few cases where it can’t be ruled out yet. Training staff to work a bio-containment unit occurred when we faced ebola and essential staff has been retrained. I thought it was interesting to know that the first patient confirmed goes into a isolation room meaning one patient in a room, with only access to people who enter with PAPRs, a protective suit with breathing apparatus. Next it would go to containing half of a unit, then if it goes to full pandemic mode, we will dedicate a full unit to it, with folks and doctors alike walking around in spaceman suits. If we run out of space there, we are planning to move all of the effected patients to a containment building with negative pressure, hopefully containing the virus. Hopefully, some of these precautions make you feel better like the did me. Not that I am not worried, but just some of the stuff I have seen working as a small ant at a hospital among giants.
    All ravens fans are right about something

I wasn't worried initially but looking at what's happening in Italy is worrisome. Normally I'm healthy but there's limited studies on how it could affect pregnant women/fetuses.

Glad I've been working from home since January. I wish my husband's office would let him do the same...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Btw there are 2 Corona threads here and they are NOT like each other lol

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk