Page 174 of 742 FirstFirst ... 172173174175176 ... LastLast
Results 2,077 to 2,088 of 8900

Re: OT - coronavirus

Looks like a great deal of posters have turned to the tried and true way to deal with this.

Get shit faced

I know you miss your wine ITT

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    ABC News reporting that over 750,000 people entered the US from China between December and February.
    I really could lay out a strong conspiracy theory argument about this which actually makes sense knowing the depths the China government can go.

I'll do It in a while, it is just a conspiracy theory so no one needs to get all pissy

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post
    State and local governments could've done a lot more to prepare for this without having even more checks cut to them by the feds. They were all completely caught with their pants down. They had no plans or procedures prior to this outbreak. None of them.

Every single one, when news was first starting to travel from China about this, carried on a business as usual attitude and "if it gets that bad we'll deal with it then when it gets here".
    I'm praying for your mom Jam. Sorry you are going through this.

Delta is spot on here. First, the people you should be most upset with are the Chinese government. They hid this Jam, and if they didn't keep our people out, which is fact, they were offered help early, this would be so much less severe.

Our government is broken because of both sides. No President, Congressman or Senator initiated a bill dealing with pandemics that have already shown they happen from histiry. Recent at that.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I think a vaccine will come, but we need to find a way to get us to that point. I don't see a vaccine coming anytime soon.
    Overall - and of course this doesn't mean current methods under trial will produce the same results:

9.6% of drugs entering phase I clinical testing will reach the market.

Following phases II and III, 30.7% and 58.1% of drugs fail, respectively.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6609997/

Let's hope current trials are the proverbial "exception that proves the rule."

lagunitas

Blog Entries

OT - coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by bst3975 View Post
    Overall - and of course this doesn't mean current methods under trial will produce the same results:

9.6% of drugs entering phase I clinical testing will reach the market.

Following phases II and III, 30.7% and 58.1% of drugs fail, respectively.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6609997/

Let's hope current trials are the proverbial "exception that proves the rule."
    Yep. Dr. Fauci has repeatedly stated that a vaccine that is FDA approved and on the market is between 1-1.5 years away.

That is an expedited timetable. It can typically take up to 10 years for a new drug to get through all of the phases of clinical trials and get FDA approval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Dirt1; 04-02-2020 at 10:15 PM.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Yep. Dr. Fauci has repeatedly stated that a vaccine that is FDA approved and on the market is between 1-1.5 years away.

That is an expedited timetable. It can typically take up to 10 years for a new drug to get through all of the phases of clinical trials and get FDA approval.

But that's under regular circumstances.

Blog Entries

OT - coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    But that's under regular circumstances.
    Agreed. The 1-1.5 year time frame that Dr. Fauci has repeatedly stated for a COVID-19 vaccine to be available is the expedited time frame. Under normal circumstances, it can take up to 10 years.

“When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Agreed. The 1-1.5 year time frame that Dr. Fauci has repeatedly stated for a COVID-19 vaccine to be available is the expedited time frame. Under normal circumstances, it can take up to 10 years.

And they can't expedite that even further? How far backwards do they have to bend to get it here sooner?

Blog Entries

And they can't expedite that even further? How far backwards do they have to bend to get it here sooner?
    As bst3975 stated, just because a vaccine enters phase I clinical trials doesn’t mean that it will make it to market. 1-1.5 years is a really fast time frame. I don’t know if they can responsibly speed it up any more. The last thing you want is for the FDA to rush a vaccine to market, and then find out that it causes major unintended health consequences.

Blog Entries

Dude, clinical trials are very expensive and very time consuming.

The fact that some companies are already looking to move into phase 2 is pretty ridiculous.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

As bst3975 stated, just because a vaccine enters phase I clinical trials doesn’t mean that it will make it to market. 1-1.5 years is a really fast time frame. I don’t know if they can responsibly speed it up any more. The last thing you want is for the FDA to rush a vaccine to market, and then find out that it causes major unintended health consequences.

We don't want a repeat of the Thalidomide disaster of the early 60's

The thalidomide disaster is one of the darkest episodes in pharmaceutical research history. The drug was marketed as a mild sleeping pill safe even for pregnant women. However, it caused thousands of babies worldwide to be born with malformed limbs. The damage was revealed in 1962.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thalidomide