Page 704 of 742 FirstFirst ... 702703704705706 ... LastLast
Results 8,437 to 8,448 of 8900

Re: OT - coronavirus

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    Maybe Europe and AA county need to talk, because they are selling different info

My sons got a group of friends he hangs with. And another sun group that they mix with sometimes. A boy from the sun group tested positive. My sons friend tested positive Sunday (results came last night). I called AA CO and was asked when my son last was with the positive. I said Tuesday. They said no need to test until Sunday. Was told it takes 4 days from contact to positive test showing up. I was then told that just because you test positive, doesn’t mean you are contagious. Apparently, you can touch the virus on June 1, not test positive til June 4. Be contagious for 10 days. It could still test positive for 3 months. So a negative test might not mean anything. Maybe a negative test means you have the virus, but aren’t contagious yet, or. Maybe you test positive, but haven’t been contagious for months.
    mate of mine 100 percent has it. Every symptom going including loss of smell and taste.

Has been tested twice and both negative.

Hes young, mid 20s, fit, sporty and its a very very bad flu to him

He said he wouldnt be going to work anyway even if he didnt have to isolate for 14 days as is the rule here

To put this into perspective.

The death rate in the US to covid. Covid related. Or dying of something, and being tested positive for covid is .000597 % of the population. That means the survival rate is .999403%
    That's not how survival rates work... Have to catch it before you can survive it.

I mean if a building explodes you count the people in it that survive as survivors. Not the guy sipping a coffee on his patio a mile away.

Now if you want to say that's your risk of dying from it, then you can disregard this.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I don't think you can say this. I'm sure suicides, drug and alcohol related issues and deaths due to violence will be up. This thing, or rather our draconian reaction to it, is causing misery, economic destruction and despair. It's creating illness.. Not covid, our reaction to it. Not to mention the lasting achievement gap, and lingering mental health issues of people that were previously healthy/functioning. Not for all but some, including my youngest, are lost without the structure and daily interaction with friends.

For other kids, like my college freshman, getting covid is like a game of duck duck goose. No one wants to get it simply because they don't want to go in the penalty box... then you can't hang out drink, go out, have fun etc.. There is no fear of actually dying from it. College kids in our peer group that have tested positive have had no symptoms or sniffles/cold like symptoms.

We know this one nutty family where the daughter got it and was looking at the college stats they were posting, this is at Emory, and went on Instagram and shamed them for "her" case not showing up in the daily dashboard. She comes from a fucking nutty liberal democratic family of activist types.... I was worried she was going to turn herself into the most hated kid in school with her grandstanding like that.
    Heart disease could be a wash with quarantine weight gain for some.

Oh crap. The danger rate is now up to .05 for my age.
    It was nice knowing you then. That sucks.

The fact that there are people, that still, with a straight face, can pretend that the reaction wasn’t more harmful than the virus astounds me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    The fact that there are people, that still, with a straight face, can pretend that the reaction wasn’t more harmful than the virus astounds me.

Too many years of "if it saves even one life, it's worth it" nonsense.

No. it isn't.

I'm sure we could save quite a few lives by wrapping everyone up in bubble wrap, duct taping them to a wall so they couldn't harm each other, and feeding them a prescribed diet with a tube.

Thanks for bringing a reasonable perspective to this discussion.

Werent you all for it back at the start?

You even got covid if iirc

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Werent you all for it back at the start?

You even got covid if iirc
    Yup, so I feel I can talk from experience...

The first 30 days or so of shut down we’re warranted... it’s now been 6 months...

So Pennsylvania, the state I live in, maxes out around. 150 deaths per day from mid April to mid May, and has been under 20 for a seven day rolling average since Early July, but I still cant sit at a bar... and any restaurant that wants to serve alcohol can only have 25% capacity... and everyone must buy food...

So many industries DESTROYED, for what? Political gain... our Governor killed more Pennsylvanians on purpose(Forcing nursing homes to take COVID positive patients) than likely would have died with no shut down at all...

Yup, so I feel I can talk from experience...

The first 30 days or so of shut down we’re warranted... it’s now been 6 months...

So Pennsylvania, the state I live in, maxes out around. 150 deaths per day from mid April to mid May, and has been under 20 for a seven day rolling average since Early July, but I still cant sit at a bar... and any restaurant that wants to serve alcohol can only have 25% capacity... and everyone must buy food...

So many industries DESTROYED, for what? Political gain... our Governor killed more Pennsylvanians on purpose(Forcing nursing homes to take COVID positive patients) than likely would have died with no shut down at all...

As did many state governors.

Read an interesting statistic yesterday.

42% of all Covid deaths are attributable to Nursing Homes and Assisted Living Facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by owknows View Post
    As did many state governors.

Read an interesting statistic yesterday.

42% of all Covid deaths are attributable to Nursing Homes and Assisted Living Facilities.
    Real question, had we chosen not to have a lock down, not worn masks, nothing, but instead aggressively tested and protected everyone/everything entering a nursing home would we have lost 200k Americans? I highly doubt if...

Real question, had we chosen not to have a lock down, not worn masks, nothing, but instead aggressively tested and protected everyone/everything entering a nursing home would we have lost 200k Americans? I highly doubt if...

I would think you're correct... and certainly the impact to the people's lives and livelihoods would have been trivial.

This disease seems to be about people densely packed in enclosed spaces re-breathing each other's exhalations.

Personally, I think it was prudent for older and vulnerable folks to avoid public transportation and indoor public venues.

Otherwise, I don't think any of the Draconian measures did a damned thing.

I think every country had to lockdown initially. No one knew what this was and all the evidence we had was from italy and it was effectively war time medical treatment. Picking who to treat and let die.

After that though there is only a few countries in the world that have got it correct. Germany is one.

They have a virtully perfect track and trace system and have testing capacity to match it.

It also helps that their population i suppose are all in on it. That makes it easier.

Here in the UK we dont have the testing capacity. We have people will a standard cold having to isolate (incl their whole household) for 2 weeks missing work or missing school because they cant get tested.

Our track and trace app of course went to some buddy buddy of the government who has made millions on the contract and it completely flopped and doesn't work so that cant be used.

Even if it could, half the population wouldnt do it anyway so thats totally out the window.

And like usa, we pushed out older patients from hospitals to nursing homes to make bed room, without testing them for covid first. Guess what, alot of them had it and brought it into the homes killing thousands.

We also didn't shut down our borders either.