Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: The Food Thread/Cooking, BBQ'ing, Drinking, Eating, Dining Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    On all the flattop brands I researched it said you have to season it 1st before ever using it.

I watched videos, read directions but mine just looks spotty and burnt, It doesnt look like 1 solid coat like most videos look like.

I am going to try this $10 seasoning kit thing to see if it does the trick.
    How are you supposed to clean those things after cooking.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    How are you supposed to clean those things after cooking.
    Videos I watched just show people scrapping it clean when its warm but I ordered a kit that comes with a scraper, some kind of hard stone pads and scour pads for $20 from Walmart

Videos I watched just show people scrapping it clean when its warm but I ordered a kit that comes with a scraper, some kind of hard stone pads and scour pads for $20 from Walmart
    You supposed to wipe it down with oil when you're done using it? I'm sure you need to keep that thing covered.

This is without a doubt the best smoked chicken I have ever had. Smokin on the Boulevard over in Killen is now my favorite "restaurant". It's only take-out, they're open three days a week, and unless you have GPS going you'll drive right past it... but this is life changing. Smoked bologna is delicious too. They make an Alabama white sauce that is to die for. And the chicken salad is the fruit type with just enough sweetness to offset the smokey flavor of the chicken.

37 bucks, total, for two whole chickens, two pounds of bologna and a half a quart of chicken salad.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

5. Re: The Food Thread/Cooking, BBQ'ing, Drinking, Eating, Dining Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    This is without a doubt the best smoked chicken I have ever had. Smokin on the Boulevard over in Killen is now my favorite "restaurant". It's only take-out, they're open three days a week, and unless you have GPS going you'll drive right past it... but this is life changing. Smoked bologna is delicious too. They make an Alabama white sauce that is to die for. And the chicken salad is the fruit type with just enough sweetness to offset the smokey flavor of the chicken.

37 bucks, total, for two whole chickens, two pounds of bologna and a half a quart of chicken salad.
    Man, you musta been hungry.

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgemtnman View Post
    Man, you musta been hungry.
    Low carb diet, and we still have a whole chicken, all the bologna and half the chicken salad left.

But yes, yes I was.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

I drank it a lot 15 years ago, lol. I prefer it on tap. I think I got an urge on that one too and grabbed a 6 at the Bottle N Cork package store.
    Yeah man. That was the jam when I didn't want to cheap out in college. Lol.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I followed all the directions, I seasoned it up 4 different times before cooking on it but stuff still stuck way too much to it during cooking.

I am little pissed how my top looks currently. I ordered a cleaning kit and some kind of seasoning kit that supposedly helps give the top a better finish.

Overall its nice, cooks fast and what I expected but it made way more of a mess than aniticipated. First time cooking on a propane flattop so I imagine I have some bugs to work out.
    If it's like cast iron, cover it with a thin coating of flax seed oil and put it on a high heat for like fifteen minutes.

You supposed to wipe it down with oil when you're done using it? I'm sure you need to keep that thing covered.
    We have a cast iron griddle on our camp chef stove, and if you don't oil it, it'll rust even with the cover.

So I've been looking hard to replace my 20+year old Oklahoma Joe offset smoker. I've seen the same model, around $400 or so, plus at least $150 to ship. But I haven't been able to find one to actually touch and evaluate. I've found other Oklahoma Joe models in stores (Lowes), but they don't feel as sturdy as my old one. They were bought out by Char-Broil (apparently soon after I bought mine). It has to be assembled and a lot of the reviews talk about sealing it to prevent leaks and retain heat better.

In talking about some other options, Big Green Egg had come up and at the time I said I can't imagine paying that much money for one - for the size I would want, I'd be talking $800-$1,000. Well, now I think I'm going back on that statement. I've done a ton of research, and I think I'm going to go with a Yoder Cheyenne. Need to get the final cost, but will likely be $1,100 or so plus freight. But thinking about it there are a few major reasons:

Construction is all 3/8" and 1/4" steel. This thing weighs in at over 300 lbs!

It is one solid unit, with all components welded. No assembly required, no sealing of gaps required - there are none!

Lifetime warranty! Can't beat that.

Blog Entries

Awesome and simple cornbread recipe:

12T Unsalted Butter
    3 Eggs
    2.5C Buttermilk
    3C All Purpose Stone Ground Corn Meal
    2T Baking Powder
    3/4tsp Baking Soda
    2tsp fine grain salt
    Optional - 3T sugar

*If you're using salted butter, only use 1tsp of fine grain salt

Preheat oven to 375 and preheat a 10-12" cast iron pan in the oven.

Melt the butter in a sauce pan or in the microwave - you want to save ~1T to brush into the pre-heated cast iron pan. Brush the bottom of the pan and the sides. This will help the corn bread build up a nice crust on the bottom and it will help keep it from sticking to the pan after it's done baking.

Whisk eggs and buttermilk together until well-mixed.

Combine the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and mix together well.

When the oven and cast iron pan are heated to 375, combine the wet and dry ingredients and mix together well until you have a pancake mix consistency. Once this is mixed, add in the rest of the melted butter (~11T) and thoroughly mix.

Open the oven, slide the pan out on the oven rack, and pour all of the mixed ingredients into the pre-heated and buttered cast iron pan. Smooth the top out with a spatula or spoon. Depending on the size of the cast iron, the mixture will be approximately 2" thick. It will rise slightly in the oven while baking, but not much at all.

Bake at 375 for 25-30 min or until a fork/knife can be inserted into the middle and removed cleanly.

Pull out and let cool for a few min and serve warm.

I like a nice pepper jelly with my cornbread...something that has some nice sweet, spicy, and sour notes. However, a simply slice of salted butter on top is fantastic. My kids like this with a fruit jam.

I like this recipe because it's easy and it's not super sweet. It has that nice "crumbly" consistency that really good cornbread has, but it isn't overly dry.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I just made chicken vegetable soup. I had a really nice base going but f'd it up by adding the noodles to soon. Now I have a giant pot of starchy mush. Next time noodles separate. I usually stip kale stems off but was lazy this time and also did not see them and thought that had been done as it's a different brand. Another big mistake. Kale stems suck.

Lessons learned.

Make noodles separate and add as you eat or add them late and eat it all in one sitting, as in a big meal for many people.

Take the time to really get rid of the kale stems before tossing in the pot.

I'll end up eating it all and enjoying it but it could have been better.

In cooking It really is true that you get better by fucking up. Nothing reinforces good habits like screwing up a dish.