Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: The Food Thread/Cooking, BBQ'ing, Drinking, Eating, Dining Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    Have not made cream of crab. I'll have to check that out.
    Cream based soups in general are awesome.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Cream based soups in general are awesome.

Yep, but you can't go wrong with either type crab soup. Hope to go crabbing next week. Maybe I'll make some soup with the leftovers we don't eat after steaming.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    Yep, but you can't go wrong with either type crab soup. Hope to go crabbing next week. Maybe I'll make some soup with the leftovers we don't eat after steaming.
    I looked at the recipe. Basically dairy, old bay and crab. I'm sure it tastes delicious. I've been trying to be more healthy lately though and your standard crab soup is basically vegetable soup with some crab in it. If you don't overdo the salt the only unhealthy thing in it is probably the crab.

Would I guzzle that cream of crab soup like Homer Simpson guzzling BBQ sauce. Yes. The price in intestinal blowback for me would be high though.
    Last edited by BustOfPallas; 06-03-2020 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CarrollCoRaven View Post
    I love crabbing. I hadn't done it in years until about a year and half ago. I was at our place in Dewey late in the season by myself and decided to go to the spot I went as a kid, Savitches Ditch, just north of the Indian River Inlet. I bought a crab basket and some lines and chicken neck. We have an old net at the place. I drove down and sprayed the shit out of my legs with bug spray to try to ward off chiggers. Those things absolutely SUCK. I did not end up getting chigger bites.

I caught about 10 crabs. I got back to our place and realized what I thought was a complete steamer was just a pot. I went to giant and bought a big aluminum serving pan and poked it full of holes and wedged it in the big pot. Mixed up some course salt with Old Bay. Poured in some water and a can of Bud, dropped the crabs in my make shift steamer and liberally applied the mix of salt and old bay. They turned out good. I think I ate them with some Magic Hat 9.

I love crabbing. I hadn't done it in years until about a year and half ago. I was at our place in Dewey late in the season by myself and decided to go to the spot I went as a kid, Savitches Ditch, just north of the Indian River Inlet. I bought a crab basket and some lines and chicken neck. We have an old net at the place. I drove down and sprayed the shit out of my legs with bug spray to try to ward off chiggers. Those things absolutely SUCK. I did not end up getting chigger bites.

I caught about 10 crabs. I got back to our place and realized what I thought was a complete steamer was just a pot. I went to giant and bought a big aluminum serving pan and poked it full of holes and wedged it in the big pot. Mixed up some course salt with Old Bay. Poured in some water and a can of Bud, dropped the crabs in my make shift steamer and liberally applied the mix of salt and old bay. They turned out good. I think I ate them with some Magic Hat 9.
    Oh man. There's a beer I haven't had in a hot minute

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Oh man. There's a beer I haven't had in a hot minute

I drank it a lot 15 years ago, lol. I prefer it on tap. I think I got an urge on that one too and grabbed a 6 at the Bottle N Cork package store.

Just bought and picked up today a Blue Rhino Propane Griddle. Getting ready to cook some jerk chicken and veggies on it.

I have wanted one of these griddles for two years now. Lowes seemed to have the best deal, $300 put together already, with a lid.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    Just bought and picked up today a Blue Rhino Propane Griddle. Getting ready to cook some jerk chicken and veggies on it.

I have wanted one of these griddles for two years now. Lowes seemed to have the best deal, $300 put together already, with a lid.
    Nice.

Blog Entries

I drank it a lot 15 years ago, lol. I prefer it on tap. I think I got an urge on that one too and grabbed a 6 at the Bottle N Cork package store.
    My brother was in a pub yesterday in Fenwick Delaware and was told due to the Corona Virus they weren't serving draft beers. Delaware just opened up last week and is ahead of Maryland in that they are allowing restaurants at 30% capacity inside. He was sitting outside. Why couldn't they serve drafts in small growlers? What phase allows for draft beer in a mug?

Nice.
    I followed all the directions, I seasoned it up 4 different times before cooking on it but stuff still stuck way too much to it during cooking.

I am little pissed how my top looks currently. I ordered a cleaning kit and some kind of seasoning kit that supposedly helps give the top a better finish.

Overall its nice, cooks fast and what I expected but it made way more of a mess than aniticipated. First time cooking on a propane flattop so I imagine I have some bugs to work out.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    I followed all the directions, I seasoned it up 4 different times before cooking on it but stuff still stuck way too much to it during cooking.

I am little pissed how my top looks currently. I ordered a cleaning kit and some kind of seasoning kit that supposedly helps give the top a better finish.

Overall its nice, cooks fast and what I expected but it made way more of a mess than aniticipated. First time cooking on a propane flattop so I imagine I have some bugs to work out.
    It should season over time. You probably need to make sure you clean it and keep the top from rusting by wiping it down with oil and keeping it covered.

I am guessing you may have wanted to season it first before using it but I probably won't matter. After a couple uses it should become more nonstick.

Seasoning a carbon steel wok involves heating it, I think with some oil in it or a sheen of oil. I did not do this with mine but I don't get any sticking in it anymore. When I first used it it was a mess. If I buy another one I'll season it first.

It should season over time. You probably need to make sure you clean it and keep the top from rusting by wiping it down with oil and keeping it covered.

I am guessing you may have wanted to season it first before using it but I probably won't matter. After a couple uses it should become more nonstick.

Seasoning a carbon steel wok involves heating it, I think with some oil in it or a sheen of oil. I did not do this with mine but I don't get any sticking in it anymore. When I first used it it was a mess. If I buy another one I'll season it first.

On all the flattop brands I researched it said you have to season it 1st before ever using it.

I watched videos, read directions but mine just looks spotty and burnt, It doesnt look like 1 solid coat like most videos look like.

I am going to try this $10 seasoning kit thing to see if it does the trick.