Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: The Food Thread/Cooking, BBQ'ing, Drinking, Eating, Dining Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Don’t know if any of you guys have Joule or a sous vide device, but I absolutely love using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    just started using a sous vide in the past 6 months -- cool way to cook!

How does everyone prefer to do their deep frying? All ideas welcome. I use a small wok and peanut oil normally over my electric range. Warmer weather is here so outside cooking now is an option. So any batch size/method/preferences would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    How does everyone prefer to do their deep frying? All ideas welcome. I use a small wok and peanut oil normally over my electric range. Warmer weather is here so outside cooking now is an option. So any batch size/method/preferences would be appreciated.
    Regarding Deep Frying, If its a turkey or large qty I have Masterbuilt propane burnder 30 QT pot. Paid like $70 for them, so far I am on my 2nd one in three years as the last one timer battery compartment broke and had to buy a new one.

These things are great but suck at same time, the stupid safety button, needing to press it every 12 minutes is quite tiresome. I need to buy one without that aspect.

Indoors I will use a pot and oil but my main go to is Phillips air fryer. That thing gets used quite often, so much healthier and cooks fast. Love that thing.

Recipes: during the quarantine I am now eating Corned beef brisket for 3rd time in two weeks due to Giant incredibly low price, I bought 4 lb briskets for literally $2.50 they were marked so I stocked up. Wife makes a good one.

I do majority of the cooking but she likes to tackle this one.

recently I made Jambalya, just using Andoiue Sausage, Shrimp.

Just two days ago grilled some Flank steak and potatoes on the grill. Wednesday is my sons Birthday and we were going to order some carry out from either Outback or Texas Roadhouse my son loves steak and my wife asked him where he would like and he said neither, I only want the steak Dad knows how to cook!
    thought that was nice.

One of my favorite steak recipes is Flank Steak roll ups.
    Buy decent size Flank steak, butterfly it, spread Tomatoe puree all over the inside, put cookes Onions and Mushrooms on top of that, then a whole pack of Antipasto meats Salami, proscuito, coppa etc.. & then Provolone cheese slices. Roll it up, either tie it with twine or use Skewers to hold it together.

Throw it in a pan, brown the meat on all sides and then toss it in the oven for about 30 minutes.

Its ridiculously good

My wife normally does a deep cast iron skillet with avocado oil or canola oil

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    Regarding Deep Frying, If its a turkey or large qty I have Masterbuilt propane burnder 30 QT pot. Paid like $70 for them, so far I am on my 2nd one in three years as the last one timer battery compartment broke and had to buy a new one.

These things are great but suck at same time, the stupid safety button, needing to press it every 12 minutes is quite tiresome. I need to buy one without that aspect.

Indoors I will use a pot and oil but my main go to is Phillips air fryer. That thing gets used quite often, so much healthier and cooks fast. Love that thing.

Recipes: during the quarantine I am now eating Corned beef brisket for 3rd time in two weeks due to Giant incredibly low price, I bought 4 lb briskets for literally $2.50 they were marked so I stocked up. Wife makes a good one.

Just two days ago grilled some Flank steak and potatoes on the grill. Wednesday is my sons Birthday and we were going to order some carry out from either Outback or Texas Roadhouse my son loves steak and my wife asked him where he would like and he said neither, I only want the steak Dad knows how to cook!
    thought that was nice.

Buy decent size Flank steak, butterfly it, spread Tomatoe puree all over the inside, put cookes Onions and Mushrooms on top of that, then a whole pack of Antipasto meats Salami, proscuito, coppa etc.. & then Provolone cheese slices. Roll it up, either tie it with twine or use Skewers to hold it together.

Throw it in a pan, brown the meat on all sides and then toss it in the oven for about 30 minutes.

Its ridiculously good
    We got an air fryer and it is fantastic. That and the instant pot have been great pickups.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post

thought that was nice.

Its ridiculously good
    We have an air fryer as well. I was afraid to get one because I thought it would be this big useless thing taking up space in my kitchen. It turns out it is a big useful thing taking up space in my kitchen. I have trained my kids to use it to reheat the garbage they eat i.e. mac-n-cheese bites, chicken nuggets, pizza rolls. I got it so my wife could cook vegetables like cauliflower, squash, root veges. It's her go to for that now. I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface of it's uses.

I like to use peanut oil for frying food. It adds a nice flavor to food. I was forced to use canola oil recently due to hording and did not like it at all compared to peanut oil. I use a little mini wok for frying indoors.

Easter dinner - drunk and dirty smoked beef tenderloin. It was delicious.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Picked up a Green Mountain Grill pellet grill today with the WiFi technology. Pretty stoked.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Love to cook Thai curries. Use Nittaya panang curry paste - have to get it mail order from Thailand. Maesri massaman paste can be found on Amazon. Best coconut milk to use is Chaokoh.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bynight View Post
    Love to cook Thai curries. Use Nittaya panang curry paste - have to get it mail order from Thailand. Maesri massaman paste can be found on Amazon. Best coconut milk to use is Chaokoh.
    I had a bad experience with a coconut milk based curry last time I ate out. I read a rule of thumb about what to avoid when when ordering Thai and the heavy coconut milk recipes were 1 on the list. Some dishes are hard to screw up and better choices than others. Pad Thai is one of them and it doesn't sit on your stomach like a bowl full of spicy coconut milk does. Some of the soups are better than others as well. The first spoonful or two of a coconut based curry is delicious but you end up feeling like that fat guy in Monty Pythons "Meaning of Life".
    Last edited by BustOfPallas; 04-27-2020 at 05:52 PM.

I had a bad experience with a coconut milk based curry last time I ate out. I read a rule of thumb about what to avoid when when ordering Thai. Some dishes are hard to screw up and better choices than others. Pad Thai is one of them and it doesn't sit on your stomach like a bowl full of spicy coconut milk does. Some of the soups are better than others as well. The first spoonful or two of a coconut based curry is delicious but you end up feeling like that fat guy in Monty Pythons "Meaning of Life".
    To me a coconut based curry is pure bliss. I don't like overly spicy so tone it down. The same is true of indian curries. Love chicken tikka masala.

Quote Originally Posted by 2bynight View Post
    To me a coconut based curry is pure bliss. I don't like overly spicy so tone it down. The same is true of indian curries. Love chicken tikka masala.
    I've not made Tikka Masala. Tikka Masala does not usually have coconut milk in it. If I'm not mistaken it is tomato based with cream although I'm sure some folks substitute coconut milk for the cream.

I make a Vindaloo that is very tasty and the particular gravy recipe I follow has about 1/4 cup of coconut milk but that I don't think that's standard for that recipe either. 1/4 cup is not a lot. It's when you have a LOT of coconut milk you are ingesting incredible amounts of fat.
    Last edited by BustOfPallas; 04-28-2020 at 08:29 PM.