Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 92
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    7,821

    Re: The Food Thread/Cooking, BBQ'ing, Drinking, Eating, Dining Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    What's the total cook time? I did recipes where the grain was more for flavor and used cans of liquid malt. I never did an all grain batch. 10 lbs is a fu**ing lot of grain!?! What type of rig do you have to do that? That sure ain't no cheese cloth/grain bag amount of grain. I remember a couple times my grain was even dry in the middle which was like wtf.


    I'm gearing up to make Kung Pao. I got all my veg and aromatics chopped and my chicken is nice and velveted. I am trying to decide on sauce. I saw Jet Tila use just cornstarch, chicken stock, oyster sauce and tuong ot chilli sauce. Most of the other recipes I've seen rely on soy sauce, vinegar/vinegars, sugar, sometimes chilli sauce and sometimes rice wine with cornstarch.

    Updated: I ended up blending two sauces and it turned out well. Jet Tilas did not have the source and the other one did not have the savory. Together they were pretty good and I ended up with a lot of gravy which is key.

    I bought an Iwatani butane burner and will never look back. Electric ranges suck. I have gas to my house but don't have it in my kitchen. Gas rules. The little butane burner is hot as F. I just got it and it makes all the difference in the world. I tried cast iron and you can get it hot and it holds heat but you can't control heat as well because you cant really take it on and off the stove and it has an intertia due to the amount of material that needs to heat up etc.
    Try carbon steel. Similar qualities to cast iron without as much mass.

    Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk





  2. #14

    Re: The Food Thread/Cooking, BBQ'ing, Drinking, Eating, Dining Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Try carbon steel. Similar qualities to cast iron without as much mass.

    Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    My wok is carbon steel. It's not the most expensive one out there but it got me going. After a couple months it's seasoned pretty well now too.

    Do you have a big bag to mash so you can lift it out of your wort at towards the end? As I said I've never done all grain brewing but think if start making beer again I will probably try this. I still have the stainless steel pot, soda keg, CO2 and all that stuff up in my garage collecting mouse turds, lol.

    Once my second leaves for college this year I may start back at it.

    I have good memories of sitting in my garage with the door just cracked with some friends, the guys that got me started home brewing and one was my customer from Missouri, brewing and drinking and eating junk. Making beer was a great excuse to drink beer. My wife was in side with my little ones and at that time they were little. 6 and unders. Back when they used to say "Dadddyyyy!" like they were happy to see you, lol. Now it's grunts and insults Ha ha ha! I'm exaggerating but you get the idea.
    Last edited by BustOfPallas; 03-08-2020 at 07:00 AM.





  3. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    7,821

    Re: The Food Thread/Cooking, BBQ'ing, Drinking, Eating, Dining Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    My wok is carbon steel. It's not the most expensive one out there but it got me going. After a couple months it's seasoned pretty well now too.

    Do you have a big bag to mash so you can lift it out of your wort at towards the end? As I said I've never done all grain brewing but think if start making beer again I will probably try this. I still have the stainless steel pot, soda keg, CO2 and all that stuff up in my garage collecting mouse turds, lol.

    Once my second leaves for college this year I may start back at it.

    I have good memories of sitting in my garage with the door just cracked with some friends, the guys that got me started home brewing and one was my customer from Missouri, brewing and drinking and eating junk. Making beer was a great excuse to drink beer. My wife was in side with my little ones and at that time they were little. 6 and unders. Back when they used to say "Dadddyyyy!" like they were happy to see you, lol. Now it's grunts and insults Ha ha ha! I'm exaggerating but you get the idea.
    So I put the grain in a second vessel for mashing rather than biab. I am debating getting one of the electric all in one units you can use inside though. May be worth checking out if you're just getting back into it.

    The big ones are:
    Mash and boil
    Robobrew
    Grainfather
    Anvil Foundry

    There's also the digimash that came out recently which is cheaper but less full featured

    Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk





  4. #16
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    7,821

    Re: The Food Thread/Cooking, BBQ'ing, Drinking, Eating, Dining Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    My wok is carbon steel. It's not the most expensive one out there but it got me going. After a couple months it's seasoned pretty well now too.

    Do you have a big bag to mash so you can lift it out of your wort at towards the end? As I said I've never done all grain brewing but think if start making beer again I will probably try this. I still have the stainless steel pot, soda keg, CO2 and all that stuff up in my garage collecting mouse turds, lol.

    Once my second leaves for college this year I may start back at it.

    I have good memories of sitting in my garage with the door just cracked with some friends, the guys that got me started home brewing and one was my customer from Missouri, brewing and drinking and eating junk. Making beer was a great excuse to drink beer. My wife was in side with my little ones and at that time they were little. 6 and unders. Back when they used to say "Dadddyyyy!" like they were happy to see you, lol. Now it's grunts and insults Ha ha ha! I'm exaggerating but you get the idea.
    Used this for the grain. Covered in blankets to maintain temperature.

    Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk





  5. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    7,821

    Re: The Food Thread/Cooking, BBQ'ing, Drinking, Eating, Dining Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    My wok is carbon steel. It's not the most expensive one out there but it got me going. After a couple months it's seasoned pretty well now too.

    Do you have a big bag to mash so you can lift it out of your wort at towards the end? As I said I've never done all grain brewing but think if start making beer again I will probably try this. I still have the stainless steel pot, soda keg, CO2 and all that stuff up in my garage collecting mouse turds, lol.

    Once my second leaves for college this year I may start back at it.

    I have good memories of sitting in my garage with the door just cracked with some friends, the guys that got me started home brewing and one was my customer from Missouri, brewing and drinking and eating junk. Making beer was a great excuse to drink beer. My wife was in side with my little ones and at that time they were little. 6 and unders. Back when they used to say "Dadddyyyy!" like they were happy to see you, lol. Now it's grunts and insults Ha ha ha! I'm exaggerating but you get the idea.
    Boiled in this one, and then finished product

    Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk





  6. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    53,869
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The Food Thread/Cooking, BBQ'ing, Drinking, Eating, Dining Etc.

    I need to brew something. I brewed an all grain smash IPA last summer, but I had to dump it. Just turned out badly.

    I built a mash tun out of a Home Depot orange cooler. I have a chugger pump for filling the mash tun with hot water for the mashing/sparging phases.

    For boiling I use a 10-gal Bayou Classic on a propane burner.

    For fermenting, I use Fermonster plastic carboys. I used to ferment in glass carboys, but theyíre heavy and Iíve broke a few before moving them around. I made a makeshift fermentation chamber out of an old coffin freezer, a heat lamp, and a dual temp controller.

    I got out of the bottling game a long time ago and built a two tap keezer.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

    RIP #25





  7. #19

    Re: The Food Thread/Cooking, BBQ'ing, Drinking, Eating, Dining Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Boiled in this one, and then finished product

    Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Very nice! Color looks juse awesome. Probably would taste pretty good right now but where's the fun in drinking beer w/out alcohol Hahahahah! I remember after the first fermentation if the wert tasted good you were in perfect shape. If it tasted like ass you were done, lol.

    I think one of those indoor rigs would be great. Locate it near a window so any off gassing can go outside. Very cool man.





  8. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    7,821

    Re: The Food Thread/Cooking, BBQ'ing, Drinking, Eating, Dining Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I need to brew something. I brewed an all grain smash IPA last summer, but I had to dump it. Just turned out badly.

    I built a mash tun out of a Home Depot orange cooler. I have a chugger pump for filling the mash tun with hot water for the mashing/sparging phases.

    For boiling I use a 10-gal Bayou Classic on a propane burner.

    For fermenting, I use Fermonster plastic carboys. I used to ferment in glass carboys, but theyíre heavy and Iíve broke a few before moving them around. I made a makeshift fermentation chamber out of an old coffin freezer, a heat lamp, and a dual temp controller.

    I got out of the bottling game a long time ago and built a two tap keezer.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's basically what my keg dispensing system is.

    I still have one glass carboy that hasn't broken and a fastferment. Inadvertently killed my better bottles by leaving pbw in too long. Hoping to get stainless next. The Anvil ones seem slick but affordable.

    Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk





  9. #21

    Re: The Food Thread/Cooking, BBQ'ing, Drinking, Eating, Dining Etc.






  10. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Pasadena, MD
    Posts
    7,821

    Re: The Food Thread/Cooking, BBQ'ing, Drinking, Eating, Dining Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by RFChuck View Post
    What's the rub?

    Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk





  11. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    53,869
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The Food Thread/Cooking, BBQ'ing, Drinking, Eating, Dining Etc.

    Donít know if any of you guys have Joule or a sous vide device, but I absolutely love using it.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

    RIP #25





  12. #24

    Re: The Food Thread/Cooking, BBQ'ing, Drinking, Eating, Dining Etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    What's the rub?

    Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    Olive oil, S&P, and various herbs (think this time it was sage, rosemary, garlic, thyme and parsley)





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Link To Mobile Site