Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

The Food Thread/Cooking, BBQ'ing, Drinking, Eating, Dining Etc.

We don't have one of these so I thought I'd start one.

I bet there are a lot of good cooks/chefs on this board that might want to share or talk about some of the things they are doing in the kitchen or on the grill.

I also imagine there are a lot people that know of great restaurants and bars and want to share them with other posters.

For me a latent cooking gene has gone off and I've have been making a lot of traditional Asian dishes i.e. Chinese and Thai stir fry as well as popular Indian snacks and curries. I have a recipe for an Indian deep fried chicken appetizer that is out of this world. I first made it and ate it while watching Lamar destroy the Jets and want to post some pics next time I make it. I've been baking a lot too since for my girls because they love having something sweet to snack on when they get back from swim practice.

So I hope this thread can be a good place for the seasoned kitchen pros, enthusiastic novices and power diners to talk about and share what they are eating and making.

Re: The Food Thread/Cooking, BBQ'ing, Drinking, Eating, Dining Etc.

We did actually, it just died. Lol

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    We don't have one of these so I thought I'd start one.

I bet there are a lot of good cooks/chefs on this board that might want to share or talk about some of the things they are doing in the kitchen or on the grill.

I also imagine there are a lot people that know of great restaurants and bars and want to share them with other posters.

For me a latent cooking gene has gone off and I've have been making a lot of traditional Asian dishes i.e. Chinese and Thai stir fry as well as popular Indian snacks and curries. I have a recipe for an Indian deep fried chicken appetizer that is out of this world. I first made it and ate it while watching Lamar destroy the Jets and want to post some pics next time I make it. I've been baking a lot too since for my girls because they love having something sweet to snack on when they get back from swim practice.

So I hope this thread can be a good place for the seasoned kitchen pros, enthusiastic novices and power diners to talk about and share what they are eating and making.
    Post the recipe next time you make it. Jets fan tears and all. Sounds ballin.

Ha ha. That sucks. I can find it and resurrect it. Mods can whack one or the other.

Ha ha. That sucks. I can find it and resurrect it. Mods can whack one or the other.
    Nah. Let's start fresh.

So it's not exactly cooking, but I'm going to try and brew a blonde Irish red ale tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Nah. Let's start fresh.

So it's not exactly cooking, but I'm going to try and brew a blonde Irish red ale tomorrow.

I have not brewed in a long time. I was doing it when my kids were little. Oddly I seem to have less time now then I did when they were completely helpless.

I still have the stainless steel and a lot of gear so maybe one day...

What's the recipe? Please share.

I have not brewed in a long time. I was doing it when my kids were little. Oddly I seem to have less time now then I did when they were completely helpless.

I still have the stainless steel and a lot of gear so maybe one day...

What's the recipe? Please share.
    Same. Kids activities in the way. Lol.

10lbs golden promise
    0.75lb crystal 60
    0.5lb victory

Mash at 152

1 oz East Kent Goldings for 60 minutes
    1 oz East Kent Goldings flameout

WLP Irish Ale Yeast

"dry hop" with 1/4lb coffee to replace the roastiness from the roasted barley

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Same. Kids activities in the way. Lol.

10lbs golden promise
    0.75lb crystal 60
    0.5lb victory

Mash at 152

1 oz East Kent Goldings for 60 minutes
    1 oz East Kent Goldings flameout

WLP Irish Ale Yeast

"dry hop" with 1/4lb coffee to replace the roastiness from the roasted barley

What's the total cook time? I did recipes where the grain was more for flavor and used cans of liquid malt. I never did an all grain batch. 10 lbs is a fu**ing lot of grain!?! What type of rig do you have to do that? That sure ain't no cheese cloth/grain bag amount of grain. I remember a couple times my grain was even dry in the middle which was like wtf.

I'm gearing up to make Kung Pao. I got all my veg and aromatics chopped and my chicken is nice and velveted. I am trying to decide on sauce. I saw Jet Tila use just cornstarch, chicken stock, oyster sauce and tuong ot chilli sauce. Most of the other recipes I've seen rely on soy sauce, vinegar/vinegars, sugar, sometimes chilli sauce and sometimes rice wine with cornstarch.

Updated: I ended up blending two sauces and it turned out well. Jet Tilas did not have the sour and the other one did not have the savory. Together they were pretty good and I ended up with a lot of gravy which is key.

I bought an Iwatani butane burner and will never look back. Electric ranges suck. I have gas to my house but don't have it in my kitchen. Gas rules. The little butane burner is hot as F. I just got it and it makes all the difference in the world. I tried cast iron and you can get it hot and it holds heat but you can't control heat as well because you cant really take it on and off the stove and it has an inertia due to the amount of material that needs to heat up etc.
    Last edited by BustOfPallas; 03-08-2020 at 06:46 AM.

Blog Entries

Big time home brewer.

We also cook a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I'm surgical on the grill. Peppercorn steak, carne asada, ribeye. Medium rare cooked and chicken livers seared to perfection.

What's the total cook time? I did recipes where the grain was more for flavor and used cans of liquid malt. I never did an all grain batch. 10 lbs is a fu**ing lot of grain!?! What type of rig do you have to do that? That sure ain't no cheese cloth/grain bag amount of grain. I remember a couple times my grain was even dry in the middle which was like wtf.

I'm gearing up to make Kung Pao. I got all my veg and aromatics chopped and my chicken is nice and velveted. I am trying to decide on sauce. I saw Jet Tila use just cornstarch, chicken stock, oyster sauce and tuong ot chilli sauce. Most of the other recipes I've seen rely on soy sauce, vinegar/vinegars, sugar, sometimes chilli sauce and sometimes rice wine with cornstarch.

Updated: I ended up blending two sauces and it turned out well. Jet Tilas did not have the source and the other one did not have the savory. Together they were pretty good and I ended up with a lot of gravy which is key.

I bought an Iwatani butane burner and will never look back. Electric ranges suck. I have gas to my house but don't have it in my kitchen. Gas rules. The little butane burner is hot as F. I just got it and it makes all the difference in the world. I tried cast iron and you can get it hot and it holds heat but you can't control heat as well because you cant really take it on and off the stove and it has an intertia due to the amount of material that needs to heat up etc.
    Use a 15 gallon pot with a propane burner. Will either Mash in a 9 gallon pot or a cooler.

The other night my 11 year old son said he was going to cook a steak dinner.

I got home to a perfectly skillet seared med-rare ribeye with shrimp in a butter/turmeric sauce.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock