Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
We are not just drafting for this year. In a couple years we are going to be losing guys like Marcus Peters, Hayden Hurst, Earl Thomas, Marshal Yanda, and Mark Ingram. Having someone who we can develop who may be able to play -- CHEAPLY -- in 2022 is huge. In fact, if we don't get some of those people, we are going to see a major drop-off from this team as we lose a lot of talent we won't be able to afford to keep.

You find those replacements all over the draft. Our 2022 starting RG could be a fifth-round pick we take in 2022. Our starting FS could be a sixth-round pick we take in 2022. Those picks are very valuable, especially for where this franchise is right now.
Useful and valuable are different. You can take a 3rd round pick and turn it into a lot of 3 day picks. If you like picking players in the 6th and 7th rounds, you can get a lot of 6th and 7th rounders with 1 3rd round pick.

The Ravens have a pretty full roster on the offense side. You mention Hurst. Do the Ravens have a roster spot for another TE right now? Maybe they do? But I see Hurst, Boyle, Andrews and Ricard coming back next year. And that's exactly what the Ravens had last year.

The Ravens are in a fairly interesting place in that they went 14-2 last year, and they don't have a lot of players leaving, especially on offense. And, they seem to have a lot of picks. I can't think of a starter on offense who is leaving. And most of the rest are probably staying as well. We're talking offense here. It seems reasonable to add another OL. I can't identify a specific need, but why not add another good OL? Often, these OLs can play more than one position, so add someone and figure it out later.

I dunno, if you want day 3 picks, you can get a lot of them pretty cheap. Things that you can get a lot of pretty cheap don't seem all that valuable to me. They might be useful, but the facts are that players taken in the 6th and 7th rounds generally don't stay in the NFL long. That's just a reality. So, if you're throwing yet another pick at the backup QB postition, it really isn't a big deal. If you throw a day 3 pick at the QB position every year, this just shouldn't be seen as a big deal. And when you don't have a lot of holes to fill, you're going to be cutting someone.