Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Speculation on Marshal Yanda

So first off, I respect the hell out of JZ - he's by far the best local reporter I follow across all 4 of my major teams. I find he's respectful, accurate and has the respect of the team.

I noticed this on twitter after he tweeted something about Judon:

1st reply:
    @DGillard54
    Replying to
    @jeffzrebiec
    Does your gut tell u yanda is done.?
    JZ reply:
    @jeffzrebiec
    ·
    2h
    Replying to
    @DGillard54
    I’ve been saying that for while now. No inside info just signs I observed throughout year and things I’ve heard.

My thoughts
    So I'm speculating on someones speculation so major caveat there. For as long as I've followed JZ he's always been respectful in the sense that he doesn't do any dirty reporting and it seems all the players love him (from what I've heard when he's around camp and practices). The way I took this, AND THIS IS ME SPECULATING, is that JZ has likely heard he's gone, but wants to let Yanda make the decision/announcement on his own terms.

Why do I think this?
    Well JZ could have report "I've heard..." that frame is completely different than saying it's his gut feeling and specifically noting no inside info.

I could be completely wrong and it is just speculation, but when I read it really just made me think Yanda is retiring.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Re: Speculation on Marshal Yanda

Certainly a strong possibility. Even if he doesn't, this will be an annual thing. Team needs to be planning on replacement...I think it's partly why Decosta mentioned OL being a need the other day.

Hope Powers is ready.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Yanda is an all time great Raven, and an all time great Guard in the NFL, and whenever he wants to hang em up I understand. The man is a machine. His legacy is cemented here IMO and he doesn't have to lift another finger for this team for me to consider him an all time great.

He just looked like he was having a blast last year, and he was playing as well as ever. My gut tells me he's down for one more trip. But who knows.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Blog Entries

Yanda might not know what he wants to do. Drew Brees wasn't sure and said he went back and forth for a while before deciding he still wanted to play. Witten retires and is completely miserable, comes back and now says he's going to play somewhere if the Cowboys don't want him. It's not always and easy decision for players. Yanda probably talked about it during the season and isn't sure yet what he wants to do.

Blog Entries

We are really close to a SB...nothing is guaranteed of course. Maybe the plan was to retire after 2019, but perhaps the lure of possibly getting another ring will pull him back. Not like we are a 4-12 team next year.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

He's got $7 million reasons to return. For an NFL player that has made a lot in his career, it may not seem like a lot, from our perspective for them. Yet, at the end of the day, $7 million dollars is $7million dollars, and he doesn't have any future employment opportunities for similar money. He might be able to make good money as an entrepreneur, but there will never be another opportunity in his life for that kind of guaranteed money.

Plus, this is a special team with a special kind of vibe that he clearly had a lot of fun with last season. Also, he's got a real shot at a ring, where he can go out on top like a legend, the way every man dreams of. Lastly, he is still playing at a very high level, as an All Pro caliber player. So, it's not like he's "tarnishing his legacy" by coming back.

Call me a blind homer, but I think he comes back for one more run!

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Yanda might not know what he wants to do. Drew Brees wasn't sure and said he went back and forth for a while before deciding he still wanted to play. Witten retires and is completely miserable, comes back and now says he's going to play somewhere if the Cowboys don't want him. It's not always and easy decision for players. Yanda probably talked about it during the season and isn't sure yet what he wants to do.
    Spot on.

People feel one way when they are beat-up, worn-down (and disappointed by a loss), and then another when they put distance from those things. How he feels in the next few weeks may not be the same as right now. And his actions with the pictures at the stadium with the family, etc. may merely have been his "what if" decision.
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post

So I'm speculating on someones speculation

I'll take "Things Football Fans Talk About In Late February" for $1,000 Alex.

The Ravens should draft interior o-line regardless of what Yanda decides to do. A draftee will be cheap, we need backups for the o-line rotation regardless, and it gives a chance to get a year under his belt before being pressed into duty.

If Yanda retires, so be it - they would already be planning for the future anyway. If he sticks around - awesome, we're a better team for it.

But no later than 2021, we need an heir for RG.

I think considering how the season ended and the fact we'll be a contender next season, it might be pretty attractive to give it one more go. It seemed like LJ really rejuvenated Yanda.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GirlsKickButt View Post
    I think considering how the season ended and the fact we'll be a contender next season, it might be pretty attractive to give it one more go. It seemed like LJ really rejuvenated Yanda.
    I agree.

No way he wants his last game to be that piece of garbage choke job game they had in the playoffs. Unfinished business!