Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Tony Grossi Suspended

I've never understood folks invoking Freedom Of Speech when someone gets fired, suspended or gets their ass whooped. If the DOJ or some other federal agency TOLD ESPN that they needed to suspend Grossi, then we'd have an issue. But if you pop off or let you true feelings be heard - on camera or not, hot mike or not, and get caught, then 10 times out of 10, there will be consequences unless you are independently wealthy. And even then, there are still consequences - bare minimum being that like minded people will think you identify with them(which may or may not 100% true) and folks that have a different viewpoint will view all your words and actions (past and present) differently going forward.

All of which is perfectly fine - just don't bitch about it afterwards. Everyone is absolutely free to say whatever they want. And everyone that hears it is free to judge them for it. As far as derogatory names or words, no point in complaining in 2020. If you haven't learned by now that there are thoughts and words that you shouldn't share because of the ramifications - I just don't know what to tell you.

Always assume every gun is loaded and every mic is hot.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Always assume every gun is loaded and every mic is hot.
    Amen...

Also, never assume everyone in the room thinks like you - even if they look like you.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I thought it was funny as hell; guess that's just me...

[FONT="]Grossi, 63, believed he was off the air when he made the comment. After being presented with all the quarterbacks the Browns have passed on in recent years, Grossi responds by saying, “And who do we got? A f---ing midget.”[/FONT]
    IOW an "Uncle Don" moment?
    It's been many years since I had a chance to listen to Kermit Schafer's blooper records, but one that stands out in memory was his recreation of a legendary closing by radio kids show host "Uncle Don" Carney of WOR in NYC. After Carney had wrapped up his usual signoff telling his listeners to be good, listen to mommy & daddy, etc. etc. , he said to his sound man (NB: I'm paraphrasing), "Are we off the air?" After a muttered assent in the background, Carney allegedly continued, "Good - that oughta hold the little bastards for the night."

But the legendary line was apparently a legend in fact: the incident in question never happened. (Source.)
    BTW, Goombah Grossi getting is getting no more than his long-overdue just desserts (with compound interest) for decades-long dissing of Art Modell. He can rot in hell as far as I'm concerned.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Blog Entries

Personally, I found the insult to just be corny.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    "Fucking midget" should be Mayfield's permanent nickname here.
    Dyslexophile that I am, I'd settle for "mucking fidget." Faker "Mucking Fidget" Maynotfield.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Dyslexophile that I am, I'd settle for "mucking fidget." Faker "Mucking Fidget" Maynotfield.
    Hence now and forevermore, Baker Mayfield shall be known as the Mucking Fidget!

So it is written, so it shall be

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Which means as long as one person finds your words offensive and get a group of other like minded individuals to agree then you will be ostracized unfairly.
    When has the world not worked that way?

Guy may be a jerk but I am sure plenty on here have said 10x worse and were it to be played on the air unbeknownst to them, they would feel different.
    No, I don't think we'd feel different. If it affected our employment, we'd feel stupid for making the same mistake this idiot made.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

I just can't stop laughing at all the fuckery that surrounds that franchise.

Mayfield should be a sponsor for the organization "Little People of America"

Grossi is a waste of oxygen and carbon. Seriously.

The use of the M-word is unacceptable.

THAT being said, dude had a point: Mayfield is a turd.

As always, here I am: laughing at the Browns.

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    When has the world not worked that way?

No, I don't think we'd feel different. If it affected our employment, we'd feel stupid for making the same mistake this idiot made.
    I personally feel that it becomes a pretty slippery slope when free speech outside the workplace gets someone fired. Obviously this guy was at work and should've known better.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Which means as long as one person finds your words offensive and get a group of other like minded individuals to agree then you will be ostracized unfairly.

It would be better to defend and idiot's right to be an idiot than damning everyone who does not think like you.

I dislike Mr. Grossi implicitly. I don't feel what he said was worthy of a suspension.

People give too much power to words when it suits their purpose.
    Agreed I do think what he said was inappropriate (which he knew and was why he thought he was making the comment off air) and he should have apologized any of the actual listeners who were offended but a suspension?

Just another example of outrage culture run amok. Maybe 10 listeners heard the original comment but because of the age we live in it's gets passed around from outrage fetishist to outrage fetishist and all of sudden 1 million people are offended on twitter demanding his suspension.