XFL and the NFL Draft

I thought about putting this in the XFL thread, but I think it merits its own discussion.

What does anyone know or think about how the XFL could affect the NFL draft?

Theoretically, we could draft a guy in the 5th round as a backup QB, but he might get an offer to start for an XFL team. So we would effectively lose our 5th round pick, wouldn’t we?

I don’t know if there are any agreements in place between the leagues. I’m old enough to remember when the USFL pulled some big coups getting guys like Hershel Walker to play there. XFL has discussed signing college freshmen and sophomores. They’d be picking off guys before the NFL even had a chance at them. I’d bet a lot of freshmen would rather go get paid to display their talents to the NFL.

Then, let’s look at the other side of it. Let’s say a player goes from college and kicks ass in the XFL. Is he then draft able? Or could he just come in to the NFL as a free agent, services to the highest bidder?

Many questions and there don’t seem to be a lot of answers out there.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Re: XFL and the NFL Draft

NFL draftees are not likely to go straight to the XFL because of low salaries and the contract year is December through May. So they would try to stick with an NFL team first, then go to the XFL as a second option. For all but QBs, it makes the most financial sense as the NFL minimum is $495,000 and the XFL average is $55,000 with roster and win bonuses. The XFL is not going to get into a bidding war for high profile players...yet. XFL QBs can make up to $500,000, so the NFL is still probably the best option.

XFL has talked about signing players before they are draft eligible. I know of one example (below), but he is draft eligible this year and did not play NCAAF in the fall. Likely, needed to get some more tape for the draft. The announcers were talking about a former West Virginia cornerback who would be draft eligible after the XFL season. So, I guess it depends on the graduating class. Most of the XFL players will be unrestricted free agents.

XFL players can leave for the NFL at the end of the XFL season.

Blog Entries

I see a couple of guys who may be able to catch on with an NFL team, but not many. Maybe not any. I'd guess whatever that player's status is (likely UDFA) he could be signed by an NFL team.

If a guy gets drafted by the NFL out of college, even in low rounds, I'd believe he'd do everything possible to stick in the NFL. Some guys would make more with a regular job than XFL pays.

The NFL has a free farm league with college football

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

4. Re: XFL and the NFL Draft

Players aren't choosing the XFL over the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    Players aren't choosing the XFL over the NFL.
    Yeah, but I could see some players forgo college to play XFL instead.

This will of course be more of a conversation in about 2 years I think, when would be freshmen this year have 2 years of XFL experience under their belts.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I see a couple of guys who may be able to catch on with an NFL team, but not many. Maybe not any. I'd guess whatever that player's status is (likely UDFA) he could be signed by an NFL team.

If a guy gets drafted by the NFL out of college, even in low rounds, I'd believe he'd do everything possible to stick in the NFL. Some guys would make more with a regular job than XFL pays.

The NFL has a free farm league with college football
    The XFL may not pay more than a regular job, but it definitely pays more than the NCAA does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Chin up, chest out."