Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens Expected to Franchise Judon

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Interested in how the Chiefs work a 20M+ per contract for Jones (assuming sign long term) and a 40M+ per contract for Mahomes and still manage to keep a competitive team. Certainly Mahomes will make up for a lot of shortcomings, but 60M+ for two guys...is kind of uncharted territory for any NFL team, is it not?
    Likely will be 4 guys taking up over $100 million in their cap...Mahomes/Clark/Jones/Mathieu. That doesn't include Tyreek Hill taking up $16+ million. They will be extremely top heavy and will have to draft well to keep up the rest of the roster...they likely will be similar to how the Colts structured their teams for most of the 2000 decade. Not a bad way to do it but they definitely will be relying heavily on the QB to play at all pro level throughout his contract(s) there (I have little doubt that he won't, Mahomes is incredibly special).
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I like Judon but I think the best way to get the most money out of the pass rush is:

- get a pass-rushing / disruptive DL

- replace Judon with someone that costs less...…..preferably a draft pick but a lower cost FA would work too or committee

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    I like Judon but I think the best way to get the most money out of the pass rush is:

- get a pass-rushing / disruptive DL

- replace Judon with someone that costs less...…..preferably a draft pick but a lower cost FA would work too or committee
    I think given the opportunity Tyus Bowser can take over for Judon. The question is who will take the reps he had backing up Judon. In my opinion if you can replace his reps with a draft pick or free agent (not big $$$ Alec Ogletree maybe???) then you can focus your money on the inside rush (Calis Campbell, Chris Jones etc.) then maybe draft a young guy in both areas.

If you resign Pernell Mcphee you can split his time with Jaylon Ferguson to keep his reps down. Then have the rookie split time with them........

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    I think given the opportunity Tyus Bowser can take over for Judon.
    Bowser is close to the last person I trust in this situation.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Bowser is close to the last person I trust in this situation.

Tyus Bowser Snap Counts: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...B/BowsTy00.htm
    Games Off. Def. ST
    Year Age Tm Pos No. G GS Num Pct Num Pct Num Pct
    2017 22 BAL 54 16 0 0 0% 161 15% 292 62%
    2018 23 BAL 54 15 0 0 0% 162 16% 260 58%
    2019 24 BAL 54 16 0 0 0% 390 40% 233 53%
    Career 0 713 785

Matt Judon Snap Counts: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...J/JudoMa00.htm

Games Off. Def. ST
    2016 24 BAL 91 14 0 0 0% 309 30% 112 24%
    2017 25 BAL LB 99 16 12 0 0% 787 72% 146 31%
    2018 26 BAL LB 99 16 8 0 0% 673 65% 118 26%
    2019* 27 BAL LB 99 16 16 0 0% 793 81% 85 19%
    Career 0 2562 461

Based on snap count alone I feel like he could. Bowser is decent in pass defense like Judon he may just need to beef up and become more stout in the run defense department. By no means do I think he will duplicate Judon's performance but based on the 80/20 rule. I feel like he could fit the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Chiefs say they are tagging Chris Jones. It sure doesn’t sound like they are looking to trade him like they did with Dee Ford last year. They want Jones and Frank Clark together for the long term.
    </3

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    Tyus Bowser Snap Counts: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...B/BowsTy00.htm
    Games Off. Def. ST
    2017 22 BAL 54 16 0 0 0% 161 15% 292 62%
    2018 23 BAL 54 15 0 0 0% 162 16% 260 58%
    2019 24 BAL 54 16 0 0 0% 390 40% 233 53%
    Career 0 713 785

Matt Judon Snap Counts: https://www.pro-football-reference.c...J/JudoMa00.htm

Games Off. Def. ST
    2016 24 BAL 91 14 0 0 0% 309 30% 112 24%
    2017 25 BAL LB 99 16 12 0 0% 787 72% 146 31%
    2018 26 BAL LB 99 16 8 0 0% 673 65% 118 26%
    2019* 27 BAL LB 99 16 16 0 0% 793 81% 85 19%
    Career 0 2562 461

Based on snap count alone I feel like he could. Bowser is decent in pass defense like Judon he may just need to beef up and become more stout in the run defense department. By no means do I think he will duplicate Judon's performance but based on the 80/20 rule. I feel like he could fit the bill.
    Especially when you consider that a lot of Judon sacks were scheme aided

If Judon gets the hybrid OLB/DE tag like Suggs did that'll take up about $18M of cap space. Good player but not at that price.

Quote Originally Posted by TDL1000 View Post
    If Judon gets the hybrid OLB/DE tag like Suggs did that'll take up about $18M of cap space. Good player but not at that price.
    Sure, I'd rather throw that kind of money at Clowney; or maybe Yannick.

BUT. There's no guarantee we get either one of those guys. Last thing I want is to lose Judon, and then not get one of those "more appealing" other free agents EITHER. Then we'd have a real problem.

10. Re: Ravens Expected to Franchise Judon

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    Sure, I'd rather throw that kind of money at Clowney; or maybe Yannick.

BUT. There's no guarantee we get either one of those guys. Last thing I want is to lose Judon, and then not get one of those "more appealing" other free agents EITHER. Then we'd have a real problem.
    Replace Judon with a top draft pick. The offense doesn't really need the draft picks, the defense does. But that top draft pick will not be as good as Judon, immediately. And the Ravens don't want to see a drop off in performance at the start of next year. Draft a DE/OLB have him become good by the start of 2021, and they won't need to spend big money on Judon in 2021. Focus on the front seven on defense in the draft.

Maybe try to get Clowney or whatever edger who is believed to be better than Judon. And, if the Ravens are able to get Clowney, they could drop the tag, or they could just let Judon go, or tag and trade? But tagging Judon doesn't necessarily mean that the Ravens will be keeping Judon. It just seems pretty reasonable to keep Judon at franchise tag price for one year.

The Ravens might want to draft someone exactly like Judon, physically. Some are suggesting that Judon's snaps can be easily taken by Bowser. Judon is 25 pounds heavier than Bowser. I would have to think that the player 25 pounds heavier will likely be the better run defender. I'm guessing that Bowser as a direct replace for Judon, the run defense will be not quite as good. I'd think that what the Ravens should want would be - as good as, or better. A raw, high sparq DE/OLB who is about the same size as Judon.

Blog Entries

JRP-
    In my view the more important/valuable position to add to the front 7 is a disruptive-pass rush DL

Also, Judon’s In house replacement doesn’t have to be a physical replica and play the exact same role on defense.

They pay the coaches and wink especially for a reason.
    They can scheme and use personnel in manner that protects Bowser/Uche from being a primary edge setter.

Just off the top, you could play J. Ward at SAM OLB and Ferguson at Weak OLB on run downs.

I just think given the way our team looks I'd rather have multiple pretty good pass rushers than a single high paid elite guy. Whether or not you view Judon as one of those elite guys is another question. And multiple of those pretty good guys (especially some older guys who used to be dominant but IMO still have some to give) will become available.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."