Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 111213

Cool Re: Ravens Expected to Franchise Judon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Love the idea of Schobert along with a rookie ILB from the draft to learn from him. The problem to all of this is that we can't trade Judon anywhere without him wanting to go there for the money they are willing to pay and we have zero control over those issues.
    Agreed! I’m just saying that in a perfect world that is what I would do! Judon would definitely have to agree to it!

Unfortunately the world is not perfect! Tomorrow the fun will begin and we will see how it will all play out!

Re: Ravens Expected to Franchise Judon

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Qtr, I don't think there will be anything "surprisingly high" about it. As the #6 pick in the 2016 draft he already started his career with a high rookie contract. IIRC he's in his 5th (Ravens option) year. Maybe more important, he's a Left Tackle and they are coveted by all teams... Bc
    I agree. He was first team all pro and will deservedly be the highest paid tackle.

By 'surprisingly high' I meant maybe $22M or more per season. I've seen people speculating that it won't cost much more than his 5th year option and hardly effect our cap space. They're the people who'll be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    Right now he is a FA. Once tagged he goes on their cap. Unless the cap figures included his tag they need the space. I didn't see a date on the team cap list.
    He’s officially been tagged. His tag number is already included in their cap space just like Judon. They don’t need to create anymore space for him.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I agree. He was first team all pro and will deservedly be the highest paid tackle.

By 'surprisingly high' I meant maybe $22M or more per season. I've seen people speculating that it won't cost much more than his 5th year option and hardly effect our cap space. They're the people who'll be surprised.
    I think you misunderstood people. A $13m first year cap number doesn’t mean a $13m/ average per year contract. 5/$125m could be fit into a $13m cap number for an extreme example.
    I actually think with the CBA agreed to, we will see a return of the long contract and get a somewhat flat-ish 6:/$125m with a first year cap hit around $16-17m. Probably around $70m guaranteed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I think you misunderstood people. A $13m first year cap number doesn’t mean a $13m/ average per year contract. 5/$125m could be fit into a $13m cap number for an extreme example.
    I actually think with the CBA agreed to, we will see a return of the long contract and get a somewhat flat-ish 6:/$125m with a first year cap hit around $16-17m. Probably around $70m guaranteed.

Maybe but it's got to be higher against the cap at some point and DeCosta doesn't seem to have much appetite for pushing costs back. He'd probably be more inclined towards a higher cap hit this year when we've got more space than usual, wouldn't he? Or am I misunderstanding again?

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Maybe but it's got to be higher against the cap at some point and DeCosta doesn't seem to have much appetite for pushing costs back. He'd probably be more inclined towards a higher cap hit this year when we've got more space than usual, wouldn't he? Or am I misunderstanding again?
    That’s a pretty flat structure...
    $16m in 2020
    $18m
    $20m
    $22m
    $24m
    $25m As a very simple ladder moving with cap inflation. There is no reason I know(new CBA pending) a contract couldn’t be structured in this manner.

For example EDC’s biggest recent FA contract, Earl Thomas, averages almost $14m annually and carried a first year cap hit of $7m, followed by $15m/16/17... one could argue Stanley’s far safer long term bet rams we would be more incentivized to kick the can down the road a bit for him as well...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    That’s a pretty flat structure...
    $16m in 2020
    $18m
    $20m
    $22m
    $24m
    $25m As a very simple ladder moving with cap inflation. There is no reason I know(new CBA pending) a contract couldn’t be structured in this manner.

For example EDC’s biggest recent FA contract, Earl Thomas, averages almost $14m annually and carried a first year cap hit of $7m, followed by $15m/16/17... one could argue Stanley’s far safer long term bet rams we would be more incentivized to kick the can down the road a bit for him as well...

With the way ETIII's contract is structured, the Ravens could basically cut him after this season and save money against the cap. If they keep him for the 2021 season, I think he would definitely be cut after that because the cap savings is like 12 mill or something.

Either way, the Ravens are keeping ETIII for this season guaranteed. If he continues to play well, then I can see him sticking around for next year as well. If he gets outplayed by Elliott or someone else? They can cut him.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    With the way ETIII's contract is structured, the Ravens could basically cut him after this season and save money against the cap. If they keep him for the 2021 season, I think he would definitely be cut after that because the cap savings is like 12 mill or something.

Either way, the Ravens are keeping ETIII for this season guaranteed. If he continues to play well, then I can see him sticking around for next year as well. If he gets outplayed by Elliott or someone else? They can cut him.
    Next year is still a pretty ugly dead cap hit even if there are savings but the following year is entirely possible. He would have to take a big step back to be cut this upcoming offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    He’s officially been tagged. His tag number is already included in their cap space just like Judon. They don’t need to create anymore space for him.

When I looked at the cap space site there wasn't a date it was posted. But that's OK, we traded for Campbell.