Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Hayden Hurst: What a Story!

Hmm. Well, I have had episodes of depression so bad that I wouldn't have minded dying. Not actively trying, just, if I died in a car accident or something, wouldn't have been the worst thing in my mind as opposed to staying alive. I'd come across as extremely lazy (who cares if I bathe?) or I'd engage in risky behavior (how close can I get to this fire?). So, I was diagnosed "passive suicidal". This is a thing.

So, having divulged that, a couple thoughts on your video Tony.

- Yes, it also runs in my family. Schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression. And all on one side of my family (which one I wish not to say). One particular member disappeared from the world and, to the best of my knowledge, was found dead of old age in a shack in the woods of Pennsylvania. This was several generations ago. There is without a doubt a bio-chemical aspect of it.

- Drug abuse, like Hayden implies, simply doesn't work in the long run. All it does is kill the pain away, kill your brain away a bit at a time. That said, for many people a simple prescription can make a lot of difference.

- Support also goes a really long way. But there's a line between getting genuine support and having a pity party. The former can be inspiring; the latter can be enabling.

- Ultimately, if you're reading this and suffering that much, you've got to be the one to turn yourself around. That starts with getting help, but that help won't magically make you feel better. It's a catch 22 I know. Why would I try to get better if I don't care in the first place? Consider starting your recovery as humoring yourself. Or there may be some other way to get your foot in the door - I couldn't say specifically - talking to people who've been through it, you may be able to get an idea.

- Finally, and this goes for everyone, don't assume that if a suicidal person gets better that it'll stay that way. It's like an addiction. There's a maintenance phase. It's part of that person's life.

We are elctro-chemical beings - slight changes in our chemistry create big changes in how we operate and view our world.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Hmm. Well, I have had episodes of depression so bad that I wouldn't have minded dying. Not actively trying, just, if I died in a car accident or something, wouldn't have been the worst thing in my mind as opposed to staying alive. I'd come across as extremely lazy (who cares if I bathe?) or I'd engage in risky behavior (how close can I get to this fire?). So, I was diagnosed "passive suicidal". This is a thing.

So, having divulged that, a couple thoughts on your video Tony.

- Yes, it also runs in my family. Schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression. And all on one side of my family (which one I wish not to say). One particular member disappeared from the world and, to the best of my knowledge, was found dead of old age in a shack in the woods of Pennsylvania. This was several generations ago. There is without a doubt a bio-chemical aspect of it.

- Drug abuse, like Hayden implies, simply doesn't work in the long run. All it does is kill the pain away, kill your brain away a bit at a time. That said, for many people a simple prescription can make a lot of difference.

- Support also goes a really long way. But there's a line between getting genuine support and having a pity party. The former can be inspiring; the latter can be enabling.

- Ultimately, if you're reading this and suffering that much, you've got to be the one to turn yourself around. That starts with getting help, but that help won't magically make you feel better. It's a catch 22 I know. Why would I try to get better if I don't care in the first place? Consider starting your recovery as humoring yourself. Or there may be some other way to get your foot in the door - I couldn't say specifically - talking to people who've been through it, you may be able to get an idea.

- Finally, and this goes for everyone, don't assume that if a suicidal person gets better that it'll stay that way. It's like an addiction. There's a maintenance phase. It's part of that person's life.
    For those unaware, what WNCRavensFan is talking about, there are variations. There is Passive Suicidal (How close can I get to this fire?). There is also 'Suicidal Idiation'. So, for the sake of example, someone tries to stick you up. Passive Suicidal would be when you basically dare them to pull the trigger. Suicidal Idiation is when you just tell them that you're not giving them your money, so they can just do what they need to do (i.e, if you're going to kill me, so be it).
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    We are elctro-chemical beings - slight changes in our chemistry create big changes in how we operate and view our world.
    Indeed. If one stays in a depression too deeply and for too long, it can alter one's DNA structure.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

WNC's point about the medication is a great one as well. After you've acknowledged that you need the help, there'll likely come a point where you're hesitant to get on the medication. However, you'll feel overwhelmed and eventually give in. That's not a bad thing. That's what it's there for. To help you..................temporarily. Where people mess up is that they fall so far into the woe is me, that they don't want to give up the crutch. The medication is there to help you, while you learn and develop better coping habits and lifestyle changes (Better diet, which makes a HUGE difference. Meditation is another example). Once those things are put into place, you won't need the medication anymore.

The problem is that if you're not willing to be the main workhorse in your own recovery, you'll fall in love with medications and things of the like, doing the work for you. So, while you may feel better in the short-term, in the long-term you're just deteriorating slowly.