Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Harbaugh to Miss the Scouting Combine

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    haha its funny cause then you have people complain when we picked Hayden Hurst when guys like Derwin James and Termaine Edmunds were still available when we were up.
    I really don't think it's the same at all. Just 2 years ago, the Ravens were a middling team with no identity on offense and defense. This team was in dire need of play makers on both sides of the ball. Derwin James was looked at as play maker the Ravens could build the defense around. Hurst was a JAG with a low ceiling that would be added to the rest of the JAGs. He didn't move the needle. He was a reach because the Ravens desperately needed a Tight End. If Hurst were looked at as Gronk 2.0., I bet fans would have a very different opinion. The bottom line is in the first round you go after play makers you can build the team around; you don't reach for JAGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplenemesis View Post
    I really don't think it's the same at all. Just 2 years ago, the Ravens were a middling team with no identity on offense and defense. This team was in dire need of play makers on both sides of the ball. Derwin James was looked at as play maker the Ravens could build the defense around. Hurst was a JAG with a low ceiling that would be added to the rest of the JAGs. He didn't move the needle. He was a reach because the Ravens desperately needed a Tight End. If Hurst were looked at as Gronk 2.0., I bet fans would have a very different opinion. The bottom line is in the first round you go after play makers you can build the team around; you don't reach for JAGs.
    So all the tight ends that year were jags? Because he was considered right up there with Andrews and Gesicki going into the draft.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    haha its funny cause then you have people complain when we picked Hayden Hurst when guys like Derwin James and Termaine Edmunds were still available when we were up.
    Hated the Hurst pick. Didn't make much sense to me

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    So all the tight ends that year were jags? Because he was considered right up there with Andrews and Gesicki going into the draft.

We took HH 61 picks before Andrews, I wouldn't call that right with each other.

“I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    We took HH 61 picks before Andrews, I wouldn't call that right with each other.

I'm talking in all the pre-draft process. We got Andrews way later, but he and Hurst and Gesicki were like 1a,1b,1c for tight ends when reading up on the draft.

So saying we shouldn't have taken him first is reasonable, but saying we shouldn't have taken him period because he's a jag would imply so were the other top tight ends that year.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    I'm talking in all the pre-draft process. We got Andrews way later, but he and Hurst and Gesicki were like 1a,1b,1c for tight ends when reading up on the draft.

So saying we shouldn't have taken him first is reasonable, but saying we shouldn't have taken him period because he's a jag would imply so were the other top tight ends that year.

Ah I got ya