Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

cool Gus Edwards stats

I posted this in the thread about Todd Gurley, but it didn't generate any discussion, possibly because that thread was kind of pointless and possibly a joke thread.

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    Gus has averaged 5.29yds/carry on 270 attempts over his first two seasons. You wanna know how many RBs have averaged more yards a carry over their first two seasons (minimum 250 carries total) in the ENTIRE HISTORY of the NFL? Six. You wanna know who those running backs were? Jamaal Charles, Clinton Portis, Hoyle Granger, Jim Brown, Gayle Sayers, and Chris CJ2K Johnson. I'm not saying Gus is the next Jim Brown or Gayle Sayers, but what I'm saying is that you've got a #2 running back giving you comparable production...oh yeah and he cost under $600k last season.
    So I'm wondering what people think, cause it seems to me like he's hardly getting an attention. And of course he's been helped by a great line and a dual-threat QB, but still...7th best average in THE ENTIRE 100 year history of the NFL. could he reach the level of some of those other backs? do you think he goes 5+ yds/carry again next season? does he deserve to be the #1 now? or at least a 50/50 split with Ingram for carries next season?

also, just how cool is it for him to make this list through his first two years? personally i think it's awesome. this isnt one of those "he rushes 100yds/game in prime time home games after october" kind of stats. this is THE stat for RBs, and he's having one of the best starts to a career in NFL history. very cool

Re: cool Gus Edwards stats

I'm really proud of Gus. He's a really good back. Very low variance back. He's going to have a role on this team for a long time I feel.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Love me some Gus Edwards. Great guy. Your stats make the play calling in that divisional round game even more puzzling. Will be interesting to watch this group of RB's next year.....I'm thinking Justice Hill emerges into a Ray Rice type back, and i dont believe i am alone.

Blog Entries

The lack of Gus against the Titans was absolutely ridiculous.

Gus should be getting a lot more touches.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Three carries in the playoffs when Ingram clearly didn't have it is all you need to know. Production doesn't matter when the coaching staff doesn't have "big truss" in a guy.

He will be tendered as an ERFA, because the Ravens always tender ERFA's. But he will probably be fighting for a roster spot next year. He will be somebody else's 1,300 yard back sometime between now and the end of the 2022 season.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Three carries in the playoffs when Ingram clearly didn't have it is all you need to know. Production doesn't matter when the coaching staff doesn't have "big truss" in a guy.

He will be tendered as an ERFA, because the Ravens always tender ERFA's. But he will probably be fighting for a roster spot next year. He will be somebody else's 1,300 yard back sometime between now and the end of the 2022 season.
    I'd be very surprised if this is how it unfolds
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    But he will probably be fighting for a roster spot next year.

you realize that teams keep 3-4 running backs, right? and he's clearly the #2 and will be competing to be the #1 or at least 50/50 snap count split with Ingram next year? the only way he misses the roster is injury.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The lack of Gus against the Titans was absolutely ridiculous.

Gus should be getting a lot more touches.
    I agree 100%, especially after his work in the last game vs. the Steelers (21 carries for 130 yards/6.2 YPC). Both he and Hayden Hurst should have seen more action in the Titans game... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    The only way he misses the roster is injury.
    Or if someone else offers him a contract that the Crows won't match. Lots of teams out there can read the same stats the OP posted; a few of them have people who can actually understand them. And with 31 other franchises on the hunt for talent, there is (almost) always at least one that sees player X on the Ravens' RFA list as the answer to their burning need & has the cap flexibility to pay him more than the home team will. EdC seems to have imbibed or inherited Ozzie's fondness for collecting draft picks, so the cut point may not be that high - as a former UDFA, not sure what Gus would bring on an "original round" tender, but even that is likely to be >$2M, a lot more than he's costing now, & a 2nd-round tender upwards of $3M.** Hard to believe Eric wouldn't just let Gus walk.

Which confuses me about as much as it confuses (some of) the rest of you - what's the weakness in his game that makes Harbaugh so unwilling to use him (3 carries vs TEN??) &, by all appearances, the team so apparently uninterested in re-upping him before it gets to the Tender Trap? Is he less-than-optimal at pass-catching out of the backfield, or selling Lamar's ball fakes, or blocking, or what? Is he a "locker-room cancer" (or maybe just an irritating rash)? Youth wants to know, & old age is pretty damn curious as well...

**I haven't been able to dig up the official numbers, sorry. If anyone's got 'em or a link to 'em, post 'em.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Or if someone else offers him a contract that the Crows won't match.
    Wrong. He is an ERFA (exclusive rights free agent) this upcoming season, not RFA or UFA. the Ravens only need to tender him the minimum salary contract (according to the CBA) and even that can be non-guaranteed, and he's prevented from negotiating a contract with any other team. So in a couple years you would be correct, but for this season he's all ours, unless the Ravens fail to pay him the minimum salary (prob ~$600K again i'm guessing), and once again i'm saying there's zero percent chance of this happening. as long as he doesn't tear an ACL or pull a Ray Rice, he will be playing in purple and black come September.

**I haven't been able to dig up the official numbers, sorry. If anyone's got 'em or a link to 'em, post 'em.
    Were you asking for the numbers I used? Here's the link to the list: http://pfref.com/tiny/MSIis

Impressive names on there. I included all RBs with 5+ YPC in their first two seasons (minimum 250 carries across those two seasons)

Is he less-than-optimal at pass-catching out of the backfield, or selling Lamar's ball fakes, or blocking, or what? Is he a "locker-room cancer" (or maybe just an irritating rash)? Youth wants to know, & old age is pretty damn curious as well...
    My hunch is that it was a combination of Ingram's experience (which is a factor in blocking and fumble risk as well) and the deceptiveness of that handoff from Lamar to Ingram. But I would be fairly surprised if the snaps weren't more evenly split this season (as long as Edwards maintains a higher YPC than Ingram), and possibly Edwards challenging for the starting role by midseason. I think Ingram will be the #1 out of camp regardless of how the two do (unless Ingram just implodes or something), but I just don't see any gaping flaws in Edwards game.