Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: cool Gus Edwards stats

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    His YPC is even more impressive when you factor in the 17-56 (3.29 YPC) in garbage time in the 59-10 win vs Miami when they were mostly running basic dive plays with backups in the game, and 14-55 (3.93) in similar situation in the 45-6 blowout of the Rams. That's 31 of his 133 carries on the year.

Take those out and he's at 5.88 ypc. I know you can't just pick and choose like that, but I think it's fair to point those out since we can pinpoint a reason why his numbers were so poor in those games. They don't reflect what he does in competitive situations with the 1's on the field.

It's terribly disappointing to me he only got 3 carries in the playoff game. All it tells me is the Ravens want a different guy. They're OK with him for now as a backup, because you can't have exactly everything you want everywhere on the roster all the time. But for whatever reason, they don't want the ball in his hands in any kind of meaningful situation. I don't understand it.

So I don't see him being a Raven much longer. One more year at the most. He'll do very well somewhere else I'm sure. I love his speed and power but whatever the case, neither that nor his production is moving the needle for this coaching staff. It's really puzzling to me.

Only thing that comes to mind is in 2018 there were some mesh issues with him and Lamar; stat-wise those fumbles were all charged to Lamar, as I'm only seeing 2 career fumbles for Gus in 279 total touches. Is that really to blame? Two charged fumbles? I would think the mesh issue would have been fixed over this past offseason; I don't remember seeing it come up in 2019, and Lamar actually fumbled less times in 2019 than 2018 despite obviously playing a hell of a lot more snaps.

I don't understand it at all. But don't fall out of your chair shocked if we take another back in round 4-5. No matter what the depth chart may "officially" say, the reality will be Ingram, Hill, New Guy, Gus, in that order.
    Gus Edwards lacks versatility, if Gus Edwards is on the field, and a pass ply is called, its 10.5 vs 11 because he can’t block or catch for shit.., so he becomes a tell. Edwards on the field, we are running..,

Ingram can both catch and Block to a quite superior level. He makes our offense much less predictable and more dangerous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Gus Edwards lacks versatility, if Gus Edwards is on the field, and a pass ply is called, its 10.5 vs 11 because he can’t block or catch for shit.., so he becomes a tell. Edwards on the field, we are running..,

Ingram can both catch and Block to a quite superior level. He makes our offense much less predictable and more dangerous.
    jon, while I do agree that Gus is no threat in the passing game, he is hardly a "tell" as you're posted. If he is then in his two years as a Raven how did he amass 1,429 rushing yards on 270 carries? So according to you when Gus is in the Ravens backfield the opposition knows it's going to be a run play. If so, then how did he average 5.3 YPC? ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    jon, while I do agree that Gus is no threat in the passing game, he is hardly a "tell" as you're posted. If he is then in his two years as a Raven how did he amass 1,429 rushing yards on 270 carries? So according to you when Gus is in the Ravens backfield the opposition knows it's going to be a run play. If so, then how did he average 5.3 YPC? ... Bc
    Because we have the best run scheme in NFL history.,,,

Blog Entries

Please don't tell me you're diminishing what Gus has done because of the Ravens run scheme. If so, then perhaps any old RB can be plugged in. Right? ... Bc

but how much of that is where he is in his career? just about every RB is inadequate at blocking when they come into the league. seems to take them a couple years to become good at it. personally i think Edwards is right on schedule for both of these, and i'm thinking he'll probably make the same year-to-year improvements that RBs across the league make. teams draft RBs mainly on rushing abilities with a view to improving blocking as they develop. they don't draft great blocking RBs (unless you count FBs) and try to turn them into great rushers.

so how come Ingram only had 5.0YPC?

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Please don't tell me you're diminishing what Gus has done because of the Ravens run scheme. If so, then perhaps any old RB can be plugged in. Right? ... Bc
    I’d lean towards ...yes there BC. He’s one dimensional. He’s only a rusher. Pass pro is less than average and he’s not really a receiver.

I get “love” for our guys ...I really do ..but damn. Every year we “fans” fall in love with some average Joe on this team and beat the drum for more of “X” player.

Gus is a nice piece to spell Ingram. Period. He’s not nor will he be a lead back. If he was the offense wouldn’t have failed in the playoffs.

Be honest. Lamar stirs the drink. He’s the reason the offense works. Then add Ingram ...a household name who’s a good runner , blocker and receiver. Defense has to plan for both. What does Gus bring? Do you think any DC is worried about Gus beating them? Highly unlikely. He’s a good dude but he’s not worth paying big money. He’s easily replaced IMHO.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    I’d lean towards ...yes there BC. He’s one dimensional. He’s only a rusher. Pass pro is less than average and he’s not really a receiver.
    Lax, but then you're kind of saying any old RB can do what Gus does, but Gus can't do "X"
    I'd like to see any back-up RBs who are as effective carrying the football like he does.
    I'm not saying there aren't mind you, but they're not so easy to find. The Ravens found a cheap one in Gus and I am oh so glad he's our #2. Now Hill may excel, and bypass him, that's cool too, but let us not diminish Gus' role as of now... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by PTORaven View Post
    so how come Ingram only had 5.0YPC?
    Because he had a lot more carries. Generally efficiency drops as usage increases.

Look, I’m not saying Gus Edwards is awful, or a JAG, he’s simply an effective tool more so than a special complete player. He’s good at what he does, he has some value, maybe giant ceiling is Legarrette Blount and maybe that’s not a bad thing.