Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 17-game schedule nearing resolution with NFLPA

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    100% agree. If they want to extend the season, having more players active on game day will allow more substitutions. If a guy has a minor injury he doesn't have to stay in and risk it getting worse just because the one other guy on the roster is also hurt (e.g. - Ravens really only have one tackle backup unless you count Yanda, but if you move him to tackle then all your Guards are in, et.).

Plus it opens up game plans more -- teams can create more different looks on O and D and I think that might make the game a little more interesting. The NFL has way too many dull games as it is. It's sad that after watching Lamar and this offense, most non-Lamar NFL football looks boring and lame. It would be nice if teams could opt between a 7 man O line, or 4 TEs in the game, etc. The expansion of sub packages, and the chess matches that would ensue, would be fascinating.
    NC, your post seems so reasonable/obvious, but I think (speculating here) the owners will use the number of active players (or roster expansion) as a bargaining chip of some sort as they work out a CBA that puts more $ in everyone's pockets. Except the fans of course... Bc

TNF games all need to be between teams coming off byes. Each team gets two byes. Gives both teams a few extra days rest, more time to install a d cent game plan and extra days of recovery after the game. Also four to six of the worst teams do not get TNF games based on last season records. Why watch trash games in prime time. The last week you don’t have TNF games anyways. You could get much better games by just dropping a few teams. So drop the first week and give TNF the kickoff game with SB champ.

Has this plan suggested how they would configure the 17th game, schedule-wise? Things are laid out pretty rationally right now, with 6 division games, 4 vs one AFC division, 4 vs one NFC division, and 2 games against the teams that finished in the same place in the standings as you did from the other two AFC divisions.

I would like to see them keep that format and add a "rival" game for this new 17th game. We'd play the Redskins every year, home one year, away the next. And in those years when we're already scheduled to play the NFC East, we play the Skins twice, home and away. It's not unprecedented, playing non-division rivals twice in the same year. The last year the Colts were here, we played home-and-home vs. Denver (Elway's rookie year) for some odd reason. MLB does something similar, as the O's and Nats play each other home-and-home every season. If nothing else good comes out of this, it would be fun to play those clowns every season.

Honestly I'm not I interested in another game

The good news is you wouldn’t have to watch it
    Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    Honestly I'm not I interested in another game

I never understood the reasoning of having a 53 man "active" roster during the year, yet only allowing 46 to be active on a game day.

What is the logic of that...what other sport allows you to have a full active roster on every off day of the season, but on game days, you are restricted and have to make 11% of them ineligible to play?

I can't think of any reason other than for gamblers who wait to bet until the "inactive" lists are put out an hour and a half before the games.

Increase the active roster by a few and get rid of the "inactive" lists.
    Last edited by Raveninwoodlawn; 02-19-2020 at 07:51 AM.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by one eyed bird View Post
    The good news is you wouldn’t have to watch it
    What a ridiculous retort. He as well as others here on the board obviously do have to watch it in order to keep up with this hobby. In order to actually be a fan of this sport you need to watch the games especially the end of the season when you’re likely fighting for a spot. The issue being taken is that the hobby now demands more of your time and attention when it was perfectly fine the way it was. It’s more effort being put forth by the fans for no added value.

So should we go back to a 12 game season, would take up less of our time to follow our team and there would be less injuries also, as far as my retort, he said he is not interested in another game, so why watch if there is no interest, also why watch or put forth the effort it takes to watch for no value, sounds like a waste of time so why do it if there is no value. What if we added the 17th game at the start of the season rather than at the end , would that help,
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    What a ridiculous retort. He as well as others here on the board obviously do have to watch it in order to keep up with this hobby. In order to actually be a fan of this sport you need to watch the games especially the end of the season when you’re likely fighting for a spot. The issue being taken is that the hobby now demands more of your time and attention when it was perfectly fine the way it was. It’s more effort being put forth by the fans for no added value.
    Last edited by one eyed bird; 02-19-2020 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    How do you come to the conclusion that there is "no added value" to the fan? I'm not really strongly for or against the idea, but one could reasonably argue that there is certainly value to adding a 17th game. I, like I assume everyone on here, enjoy watching the Ravens play, at the stadium or on TV. Adding another game adds another game I can watch and enjoy. I would've loved to have seen Lamar and company play another regular season game in 2019 - every game was a blast!

The reason I say there's no added value to the fan is because we play 16 games to figure out who the best teams are that get to go to the playoffs and compete. We can do that in 16, why extend it a game when we already know which teams are deserving? I don't know about you guys, but I was ready for the playoffs next year. I didn't need to see us stomp the Broncos or something. We knew who the best teams were at that point, it was time for us to go out and compete with them.

And I think the argument of if you don't like don't watch is intentionally obtuse. You know that if we want to follow the sport we have to watch the games unless you're a very casual fan, which none of us are. If the game schedule was a 24 game schedule do you think you might get a little sick of it? I know I would. But because I have invested in these teams I would probably begrudgingly keep up with the league still, I just wouldn't like it as much.

Value added directly reflects the law of diminishing returns which is a pretty well known law that is covered in just about every Econ or Math 101 class, but in case anyone isn't familiar with it, it's basically that at a certain point as you consume a good the value of each subsequent unit of consumption provides you less utility than the previous. If consumption continues, additional consumption will eventually reach levels of negative utility. The way it was explained to me years ago is if you are eating pizza. You get your first slice and it's amazing and you love it. Second slice is even better than the first one. Third slice oh man you're getting full and it's not quite as good as the other 2 slices. Fourth slice you're sick and you wish you'd stopped at 3. It's the same reason I don't watch baseball. I don't want to watch two hundred some odd games in a given season. It's just ridiculous in my opinion to ask fans to dedicate that much time to your sport in order to really keep up with it.

I think many fans are at their fourth slice of pizza by week 17 as it is. Especially fans of teams that have long been eliminated. Let's just move on to playoff football. Does that make sense? I think even if you don't feel you're on your 4th slice of pizza, maybe many fans aren't on their 4th slice of pizza, you can recognize that some are and that their argument at least makes sense.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jfoh View Post
    TNF games all need to be between teams coming off byes. Each team gets two byes. Gives both teams a few extra days rest, more time to install a d cent game plan and extra days of recovery after the game. Also four to six of the worst teams do not get TNF games based on last season records. Why watch trash games in prime time. The last week you don’t have TNF games anyways. You could get much better games by just dropping a few teams. So drop the first week and give TNF the kickoff game with SB champ.
    So much wrong here. First off, any team has a "half-bye" after a TNF game, so requiring both teams to be coming off byes means that they have one stretch of 11 days between games (Sunday to Thursday a week) followed by another stretch of 10 days between games. Not conducive to good play.

Not only that, but if the intention is to schedule at least one game per team at a "netural venue" well outside of CONUS (& I think that's pretty clearly true) then the byes need to surround any such games, otherwise jet lag & time-zone shifts will be a major if not determining factor in the games.

Also, excluding "4 to 6 of the worst teams" is one of those "please-don't-throw-me-in-the-briar-patch" situations - no one wants to play on Turrsdee night, why reward the bottom-feeders?

And finally, get off my yawn, I need a nap.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

I guess my diminishing returns would not kick in till around game 20 or so, much rather watch a 17th meaningful game than 2 meaningless preseason games, the NFL is betting there are more fans like me than you.I enjoy watching the games and the compation. But than again I enjoy that 3rd slice of pizza, so what do I know, thanks for the education in math 101