Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Baltimore Ravens @Ravens Offensive lineman James Hurst has been suspended for the first four games of the 2020 regular se

Now we know why he played a bit better

Re: Baltimore Ravens @Ravens Offensive lineman James Hurst has been suspended for the first four games of the 2020 regular se

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

Drug test is actually an intelligence test....
    Good point. How can these guys fail this crap with all they have in knowledge.

If dude is this mediocre ON PEDS...dump his ass. Draft younger better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On a Jets fan forum they reckon Alex Lewis as about their best Olineman and worth about 2 M per year. Joe Douglas knows the Ravens players well - why not trade Hurst to the Jets for a 7th rounder? Douglas will surely get better player(s) in the draft, but Hurst could have been an improvement at G for them last year.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

No reason to cut him today. He does not count against the 53 man roster until week five and you just saved 1 million in cap space. There is no post June 1 designation this year so any cap hit from cuttin ghim has to be all in this year. Same cap outcome if you cut him the day you form your 53 man roster. For that matter you could wait up until the fourth week and then cut him.

Why would you do that you want to know? INJURIES. He is a backup across the line. If either tackle or guard goes down he is a plug and play answer. He knows the system and is well liked. Cut him today because he pisses you off by testing positive for PEDs and then you have a player go down in camp or the first four weeks of the season and you are screwed. You cut your best, in house, long term backup. I am not cutting his ass, I now own his ass. For that matter you could even trade him if another team has a lineman go down with injuries early in the season. The timing needs to work out right but it very well could happen. Keep him, save 1 million in cap already and either keep him when he comes back or trade him for a late round pick if another team needs a lineman week four or five.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    This Hurst suspension is likely to be an overwhelmingly good thing. If you think it's bad, then you really need to look at it in the correct light.

For starters, who cares if he failed a drug test?? It happens all the time. Stop with the childish kneejerkedness. Lots of players fail drug tests. He didn't smoke crack. He likely took the wrong supplement. This was a careless mistake that any pro athlete could make. The NFL banned GNC ads from the 2017 Super Bowl for that reason. Several GNC products that the average Joe takes daily could end up getting you suspended if you played in the NFL. Stop with the self righteousness.

Secondly, Nick Boyle got popped for PEDs twice in a year, missing 14 consecutive games, and the Ravens still didnt cut him. Its highly doubtful that Hurst would get cut over this. Boyle was one of 5 TEs on the roster at the time he was suspended (Maxx, Waller, Pitta, Gillmore the others). Cutting him would have incurred very little dead money, and they still didn't cut him. Hurst is the top backup at 4 of the 5 o-line positions. Cutting him creates a good chunk of dead money. If Boyle doesn't get cut, neither will Hurst.

The mistake most of you are making is not seeing how this is a great thing for the Ravens.

Let's look at it differently.

Hurst had a base salary of $4m. He doesn't get paid during the suspension, and it does not count against the cap, so right there our 2020 cap just gained $1m. It's a little more complicated than that, because you still have to figure in replacement cost, but any way you do the math, it's less money towards the cap that you have to allocate to a backup.

Additionally, since Hurst can't play until week 5. it opens up an extra roster spot. In an ideal world, you want 3-4 of your mid-to-low value roster players suspended to start every season. That means instead of a 53 man roster, you are functionally carrying a 57 man roster. In the Ravens case, they basically now have a 54 man roster to start the season, with Hurst now held in reserve as a Week 5 reinforcement. This is one less player who would be an agonizing cut under normal circumstances who we can now keep and not expose to waivers.

Finally, the suspension actually decreases the likelihood of Hurst getting cut. I don't think he was ever in danger given his decent play last year when called on, but he's even less so now. Prior to the suspension, his cap figure was $5.25m with $2.5 of dead money. Cutting him would save $2.75. Now cutting him saves $1.75. The options are either keep your most experienced, versatile online backup for 4.25 or cut him for 2.5. I think that's an obvious choice.
    Good analysis. Ravens didn't even cut Waller and his resume was really thin as a position player.
    The Andre Smith signing will help us as a backup at T but won't provide Hurst's versatility inside

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    On a Jets fan forum they reckon Alex Lewis as about their best Olineman and worth about 2 M per year. Joe Douglas knows the Ravens players well - why not trade Hurst to the Jets for a 7th rounder? Douglas will surely get better player(s) in the draft, but Hurst could have been an improvement at G for them last year.

Why should The Ravens trade a veteran offensive linemen that can play multiple position on the offensive line? That just doesn't make sense especially since James Hurst has shown to be quite serviceable at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    Why should The Ravens trade a veteran offensive linemen that can play multiple position on the offensive line? That just doesn't make sense especially since James Hurst has shown to be quite serviceable at times.
    If Andre Smith is fine being a backup why not just allow him to play backup swing? We have plenty of guard depth

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    His serviceability has value but in the larger picture of the cap and the coming of the Lamar payoff, Hurst is a JAG who might be well replaced by a fourth round OT. EDC is already thinking, I am sure, about where he can save money soon and down the line in the next couple of years, so that Lamar can get paid and a solid structure with quality players does not have to get broken up. Hurst is not a major piece in that context, and if we can save money on the minor pieces without losing quality, we should try to do that. Bozeman, Powers and Skura are good for the interior, and there is good reason this year to look for an OT in the fourth round.

Another reason to draft the OT, is that EDC may not be able to hold on to Orlando Brown in 2022.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...stars-of-2015/

So according to my math his revised cap hit for release would be 2.18m which means we would save 3.06m if we released him today.

Even if we keep him because of his 4 game suspension we gain an additional 1.31m in salary cap space from his docked pay and recouped bonus money
    I would be shocked if they claw back bonus money

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    I would be shocked if they claw back bonus money

They are required to under the CBA. At least for the first four games of his suspension they also have the option of voiding all future guarntees (if they included the boilerplate language in his contract) I think the eagles did that for Lane Johnson if memory serves.

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    His serviceability has value but in the larger picture of the cap and the coming of the Lamar payoff, Hurst is a JAG who might be well replaced by a fourth round OT. EDC is already thinking, I am sure, about where he can save money soon and down the line in the next couple of years, so that Lamar can get paid and a solid structure with quality players does not have to get broken up. Hurst is not a major piece in that context, and if we can save money on the minor pieces without losing quality, we should try to do that. Bozeman, Powers and Skura are good for the interior, and there is good reason this year to look for an OT in the fourth round.

Another reason to draft the OT, is that EDC may not be able to hold on to Orlando Brown in 2022.
    Does saving the money this year matter given there will shortly be a new cba?