Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Baltimore Ravens @Ravens Offensive lineman James Hurst has been suspended for the first four games of the 2020 regular se

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Gotta find a better manager/chemist.

The manager needs to remind/make the player aware when a drug test is coming up.....the chemist/"trainer" better make sure the cycles are timed in conjunction with the drug tests.

Drug test is actually an intelligence test....

Blog Entries

Re: Baltimore Ravens @Ravens Offensive lineman James Hurst has been suspended for the first four games of the 2020 regular se

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

Drug test is actually an intelligence test....
    Especially the one at the combine.

I dont see why you guys think hurst gets cut. Boyle was a backup too and got suspended a bunch, that didnt make the ravens cut him. Hurst is really well liked within the organization and he plays all the positions. I dont think hes getting cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This Hurst suspension is likely to be an overwhelmingly good thing. If you think it's bad, then you really need to look at it in the correct light.

For starters, who cares if he failed a drug test?? It happens all the time. Stop with the childish kneejerkedness. Lots of players fail drug tests. He didn't smoke crack. He likely took the wrong supplement. This was a careless mistake that any pro athlete could make. The NFL banned GNC ads from the 2017 Super Bowl for that reason. Several GNC products that the average Joe takes daily could end up getting you suspended if you played in the NFL. Stop with the self righteousness.

Secondly, Nick Boyle got popped for PEDs twice in a year, missing 14 consecutive games, and the Ravens still didnt cut him. Its highly doubtful that Hurst would get cut over this. Boyle was one of 5 TEs on the roster at the time he was suspended (Maxx, Waller, Pitta, Gillmore the others). Cutting him would have incurred very little dead money, and they still didn't cut him. Hurst is the top backup at 4 of the 5 o-line positions. Cutting him creates a good chunk of dead money. If Boyle doesn't get cut, neither will Hurst.

The mistake most of you are making is not seeing how this is a great thing for the Ravens.

Let's look at it differently.

Hurst had a base salary of $4m. He doesn't get paid during the suspension, and it does not count against the cap, so right there our 2020 cap just gained $1m. It's a little more complicated than that, because you still have to figure in replacement cost, but any way you do the math, it's less money towards the cap that you have to allocate to a backup.

Additionally, since Hurst can't play until week 5. it opens up an extra roster spot. In an ideal world, you want 3-4 of your mid-to-low value roster players suspended to start every season. That means instead of a 53 man roster, you are functionally carrying a 57 man roster. In the Ravens case, they basically now have a 54 man roster to start the season, with Hurst now held in reserve as a Week 5 reinforcement. This is one less player who would be an agonizing cut under normal circumstances who we can now keep and not expose to waivers.

Finally, the suspension actually decreases the likelihood of Hurst getting cut. I don't think he was ever in danger given his decent play last year when called on, but he's even less so now. Prior to the suspension, his cap figure was $5.25m with $2.5 of dead money. Cutting him would save $2.75. Now cutting him saves $1.75. The options are either keep your most experienced, versatile online backup for 4.25 or cut him for 2.5. I think that's an obvious choice.

Doesn't this make his contract now fully non guarnteed?

If so release the man

6. Re: Baltimore Ravens @Ravens Offensive lineman James Hurst has been suspended for the first four games of the 2020 regular se

Quote Originally Posted by justifythegame View Post
    I dont see why you guys think hurst gets cut. Boyle was a backup too and got suspended a bunch, that didnt make the ravens cut him. Hurst is really well liked within the organization and he plays all the positions. I dont think hes getting cut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This. I would not be so quick to show him the door. The only way that should happen, IMHO, is if we land a rookie that we believe could step-in for Stanley for a game or two and play better than Hurst, which is a bit of a stretch for a year-one swing tackle likely to be drafted in the 3rd round or later. I love Stanley, but he isn’t exactly Cal Ripken or Lou Gehrig at LT.

Blog Entries

This makes the return of Yanda even more important

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/a...stars-of-2015/

So according to my math his revised cap hit for release would be 2.18m which means we would save 3.06m if we released him today.

Even if we keep him because of his 4 game suspension we gain an additional 1.31m in salary cap space from his docked pay and recouped bonus money

Blog Entries

Oh well

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Question Re: Baltimore Ravens @Ravens Offensive lineman James Hurst has been suspended for the first four games of the 2020 regular se

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Bad time for him to do this. He is very cuttable.

Wonder if the Ravens knew this was coming, and this was a reason for the Andre Smith signing?
    Hot, I think you're spot-on on both points. While I would rather have retained him due to his versatility and experience, I believe we save something like $2 million if he's cut. GWNR and I agree "Well that explains why Andre Smith was signed." I don't get it (???) Here's a player already on the cusp of release, and he must know today's medical techniques can detect PEDs, so why not just work-out the clean old fashioned way and let the chips fall where they may? ... Bc

Blog Entries

No reason to rush to judgement. They can cut him at any time if they feel they have better options

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

At least it’s just a meh depth guy