Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Backup QB next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Minion View Post
    There's no reason to move on from RG3 at this point. The savings are relatively minimal and you have a huge ? in McSorley. With that being said, I think there absolutely is a chance that he's not on the team come week 1. If McSorley shows some improvement throughout camp and preseason, that's the time you move on from RG3. No sense in doing it now.
    If they move on, it'll be via trading him to someone desperate

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

We need a speed burner at backup. How about Phillip Rivers or Tom Brady, Hee! Hee!

Let's case out the potentials (excluding injury):

Scenario #1: McSorely has a great camp/pre-season. Action: release RG3 since McSorely can handle the job.

Scenario #2: McSorely has a bad camp/pre-season. Action: release... McSorely? A late-pick second-year player not showing anything early doesn't really justify a roster spot.

Scenario #3: McSorely shows solid potential but "isn't ready yet". Action: keep both RG3 and McSorely with the hope that next year RG3's contract is not renewed and McSorely becomes the #2 QB.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert Raven View Post
    Granted it was bad weather and the Steelers D aren’t slouches, but RG3 did very little to inspire much confidence that his skills aren’t eroding to the point of below average QB. I like McSorely but not as the backup. Not with the high expectations going into next season.
    Well your backup QB is almost certainly going to be a below-average QB. If he was in the top 16, he'd be starting somewhere. In fact, your backup QB is probably not in the top 32. If you have the 33rd best QB in the NFL as your backup, you're doing pretty darn well.

Where RGIII fits in that I don't know, but I do know we won that Steelers game. And that's all I'm looking for in a backup. Give me a chance to win if the starter is out for a game or three. If it's more than three, we're probably screwed anyway.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Well your backup QB is almost certainly going to be a below-average QB. If he was in the top 16, he'd be starting somewhere. In fact, your backup QB is probably not in the top 32. If you have the 33rd best QB in the NFL as your backup, you're doing pretty darn well.

Where RGIII fits in that I don't know, but I do know we won that Steelers game. And that's all I'm looking for in a backup. Give me a chance to win if the starter is out for a game or three. If it's more than three, we're probably screwed anyway.
    C’mon Hot. The Steelers game? Man that was against a beaten team with the 3 rd string QB in. Let’s be real. Just like any team with a Franchise QB ...if Lamar goes down ..we’re screwed. We just need someone to hold the spot for a game or two and maybe some mop up in the 4 th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    C’mon Hot. The Steelers game? Man that was against a beaten team with the 3 rd string QB in. Let’s be real. Just like any team with a Franchise QB ...if Lamar goes down ..we’re screwed. We just need someone to hold the spot for a game or two and maybe some mop up in the 4 th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That team was 8-5 with backup QBs coming in to that Ravens game. And Rudolph was actually benched for Hodges. They were also one of the best defenses in the NFL, and RGIII was playing without our starting LT, RG, top RB, and top receiving target (all four Pro Bowlers I might add.)

They were only a beaten team because we beat them. They were a borderline playoff team with everything to play for. It’s not like we’re talking about RGIII beating the Bengals here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by HotInHere; 02-17-2020 at 01:38 PM.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by Teavo View Post
    Let's case out the potentials (excluding injury):

Scenario #1: McSorely has a great camp/pre-season. Action: release RG3 since McSorely can handle the job.

Scenario #2: McSorely has a bad camp/pre-season. Action: release... McSorely? A late-pick second-year player not showing anything early doesn't really justify a roster spot.

Scenario #3: McSorely shows solid potential but "isn't ready yet". Action: keep both RG3 and McSorely with the hope that next year RG3's contract is not renewed and McSorely becomes the #2 QB.
    Assuming no surprises/injuries, I am OK with this plan. RG III is not the be-all/end-all, but he is serviceable for a few games IMHO. With any back-up you have the desire to bridge a short hiccup, but rarely do you expect them to carry the day. These coaches did it with Lamar, but it is a hard task.
    RG is not great, but right now I would stay the course.
    Captain Offense

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Hi Lax, I do believe the Steelers had a shot at a playoff berth. So it isn't as if they weren't playing for something. I would not cut RG III for two reasons (1) as of now he's our best chance to win if (God forbid!) LJ8 got injured, and (2) he's not that much of a Cap $avings anyway. A 3rd, but perhaps minor reason, is that he seems a good mentor to LJ8 as our QB grows and matures... Bc

Last fall, Filmstudy pointed out that while McSorley played fairly well in the preseason, it became pretty evident that he couldn't gain the edge on the option keep against NFL speed with any regularity. Not saying that is dispositive to this question (and frankly I don't know if RG3 can, or even who is faster between the two), but McSorley isn't going to make people respect the option, to the extent that's something that the team is looking for in a backup.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravensintennessee View Post
    Last fall, Filmstudy pointed out that while McSorley played fairly well in the preseason, it became pretty evident that he couldn't gain the edge on the option keep against NFL speed with any regularity. Not saying that is dispositive to this question (and frankly I don't know if RG3 can, or even who is faster between the two), but McSorley isn't going to make people respect the option, to the extent that's something that the team is looking for in a backup.
    McSorley was a rookie with no experience. Obviously he didn't get faster but more experience in how to run helps. Understanding the blocking is key. You can see that with Taysim Hill. I'd like to see how McSorley looks in preseason before thinking he can't make those plays

Quote Originally Posted by ravensintennessee View Post
    Fwiw, he never really went for the edge in college. It would be Barkley or Sanders, and on keeps he would go up the middle.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

$2.5 mil for a competent backup is pretty good in today's NFL