Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Re: Backup QB next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    Let RG3 go. Roll with McSorley. Grab a UDFA outa college. The “style” qb we need to work the offense we currently have are plentiful in college now.

Don’t waste draft capital on a QB. It’s a back up. We all know if Lamar goes down ...we suck anyway. There are no Lamar’s available so why bother wasting a draft pick on a Tyrod Taylor type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No, actually, running QBs are the best.

Was Lamar a great thrower his first start in the NFL? I'd say no, not great. Sufficiently good.
    With Lamar at QB, the Ravens lost 3 games, and won 19. Won almost always. And some argue that happened because Lamar is so super good and special. I've always argued that running QBs are the best and Lamar is a top running QB, and top running QBs win a lot.

I'd argue that the Ravens can win with their system centered around running and top running QBs. You want Lamar there. You can't argue with 19-3. But you can argue with 0-2 playoff record. You do what you do in the regular season run a ton, have the QB run a ton, you have the best possible backup - runningwise - and the Ravens get to the playoffs. Maybe that backup QB, another running QB who ran for 1000+ yards in a season, a guy who can carry the ball a big percentage of the time, and get first downs that way, won't go 19-3. But 19-3 isn't really needed. 17-5 would take the Ravens to the playoffs. 15-7 would take the Ravens to the playoffs.

Lamar ran more frequently in 2018 than 2019. He didn't have a higher yards per carry in 2018, higher yards per carry in 2019. But more rushes per game in 2018. Lamar's passing became great in 2019, but wasn't great in 2018. Passer rating went from 84.5 to 113.3. Much better passer. But, same results. Win almost always in the regular season, and 0-2 in the playoffs.

You put a top running QB out there, the best running QB backup you can get, and you have him run, and you win almost always, maybe not as close to perfect as the Ravens have done since Lamar became starter, 19-3 is real close to perfect, but, 15-7 is kinda almost always. The offense, set up for a lot of running with a QB who is great at running, will win. Lamar wasn't Lamar in 2018, but he ran a lot, and the Ravens went 6-1.

I would not argue the Ravens don't win without Lamar. They go to the playoffs if they can get a QB who can get the results needed to win while running 26 times a game like Lamar did in his first game. Because I'm pretty sure the Ravens win a sufficient number of times to get to the playoffs with one of the top running QBs, the guys who ran as often, as well, as Lamar in college, the ones in that ballpark, I think the Ravens should definitely make it a real point to make sure they get their guys.

I don't agree with your core point, which seems to be - don't spend resources to get the right guy or guys because the Ravens are going to lose anyway without Lamar. I disagree and I mentioned before. Spend the draft picks, get the guys you want. One pretty big point is that day 3 picks, and we're talking about day 3 picks here, just aren't that valuable, especially on a team like the Ravens who really don't have a bunch of holes. 4th, 5th , 6th, 7th round picks don't have big Jimmy Johnson points attached to them, and the Ravens really don't need a whole bunch of day 3 picks sprinkled around their roster. They went 14-2 in the regular season, and most of the offense is coming back. I can't think of a starter on offense that isn't coming back. Almost everyone is coming back. The secondary looks quite good. There might be a loss on the front 7. I'd think that the Ravens could add more talent to the front 7 in the draft. They've got a decent number of picks in the first 3 rounds to add pieces of talent to the front 7. It seems reasonable to add another piece of talent to the oline, not really a need, but why not? Maybe theres an ex high school QB who got big, moved to oline, great athlete, very agile, but raw, hasn't learned oline blocking techniques that well because of the late transition to oline, so he wasn't great in college. Don't know who that guy is, but get that guy. And then, what, with the day 3 picks, 4-7. That's where you get the guys who are physically similar to Lamar, who would be playing Taysom Hill roles. And the Ravens can put those guys on the roster in spots like QB 3 or 4, WR 4 or 5 or 6, RB 4 or 5. Those versatile, Lamar-like running QBs can play special teams, gunners and KR/PR, WR, jet sweep, game day inactive, practice squad. You don't want to lose games if Lamar gets hurt because you didn't get the closest thing to Lamar you could get on day 3.

However, it's definitely possible that the Ravens could get all the guys they want by UDFA. Typically, I look at 6th round for those guys, but they could do it with UDFA. I'd go with 5th rounders, actually, just because of the value to the Ravens. Those players would be worth a 5th. Last year the Ravens got Trace, but I would've rather seen the Ravens get Easton Stick. Exceptional 3 cone, takes curves at high speed, and you can see that on the youtubes. But Easton Stick was taken in the 5th round, 166th, and the Ravens got Trace with a 6th 197. The Ravens can overspend on day 3, get the guys they want, and figure it out in training camp. I'd think the Ravens, a team that really doesn't have needs at QB FB TE RB or WR, but they have roster spots there, might want to have the closest players to Lamar they can get, and might want to have those players playing special teams and learning NFL-level QB and/or WR with outside running, jet sweep type stuff thrown in. The Ravens will discover the capabilities of Malcolm Perry, Lynn Bowden, Khalil Tate at QB/WR/SB/RB/KR/PR/ST. If they spend 3 picks in the last 3 rounds on all of those guys, they could find one Lamar-like Taysom Hill there. And one Taysom Hill is worth 3 day 3 picks. Taysom Hill didn't cost the Saints that, but he's worth that. If you look at his stats, they're pretty solid. 6 receiving TDs last year. Pretty solid. There's also this mystery stat called QBR, it might be total BS, but we know that the larger number is better, for whatever that's worth. Crazily, Taysom Hill had a bigger QBR (83.9) than Lamar had (81.1). Lamar led the league in that stat. Taysom didn't have enough snaps, or whatever they use for qualifying for rate stats, but Taysom's number was bigger.

Most day 3 picks give you JAG level play, or don't make the team. The Ravens could come up with zero Taysom Hills or, if they spend 3 picks, they could end up with 3 Taysom Hills. The Ravens need backups who can do the running that Lamar can. The Ravens know they can win by having a great running, raw throwing running QB run a ton of times. That was 2018. If Lamar was hurt, the Ravens have an easy plan of action to follow, just do what Lamar did in 2018 - run often, run well enough, throw sparingly, adequately enough

So, yeah, I'd take all of Malcolm Perry, Lynn Bowden, Khalil Tate with day 3 picks. With trades, the Ravens would likely be able to turn a 4th into all 3 of those guys.

2. Re: Backup QB next year?

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Aaaaaah crap, you woke JohnnyOneNote from his hibernation. If he sees the shadow of a running QB it'll be six more weeks before we get any relief from the blizzard of verbiage....
    Yup, I got here the day after Lamar ran 26 times and said, wins are now to be expected.

Running QBs who run great are really hard to beat if they run a lot. Run first w/ running QBs is what you do.

And yes, you don't have to be a psychic to know that the combine and the pro days are right around the corner, and we should be able to look at those numbers and identify fast QBs with great 10 splits and 3 cones. Add that data to the QB rushing stats and see what you have.

3. Re: Backup QB next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    CBS Radio reporting that Tyrod will have a legit shot at being the starter for the Chargers next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That sounds reasonable to me, and Easton Stick as a backup there seems quite reasonable. The Chargers were planning ahead, I like Easton Stick. Taysom Hill like, size wise, doesn't have the speed, but has superior quickness, and won the FCS championship every year.

Maybe the Chargers get Jalen Hurts? QB room could be Tyrod, Jalen Hurts and Easton Stick.

Blog Entries

Re: Backup QB next year?

Quote Originally Posted by John Reglarperson View Post
    That sounds reasonable to me, and Easton Stick as a backup there seems quite reasonable. The Chargers were planning ahead, I like Easton Stick. Taysom Hill like, size wise, doesn't have the speed, but has superior quickness, and won the FCS championship every year.

Maybe the Chargers get Jalen Hurts? QB room could be Tyrod, Jalen Hurts and Easton Stick.
    Chargers are not going to fill seats of a new stadium, with Tyrod as their QB. I like the guy but no

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

I'd keep RGIII because he's relatively cheap and has experience in our offense. We have a strong surrounding cast, so I don't buy "if LJ8 goes down we will suck!" I would also keep McSorely for the same two reasons. This is a team built for the playoffs, so I wouldn't go with McSorely and a draft choice at this point, or sign another washed-up up veteran QB either. It's status quo QB-wise for me... Bc

6. Re: Backup QB next year?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Chargers are not going to fill seats of a new stadium, with Tyrod as their QB. I like the guy but no
    I don't know what all the LA teams are going to do about attendance. Attendance is different than wins. There were no teams in LA for quite some time because the thinking was that people in LA don't care all that much about football.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I see no value in RGIII. I'd cut him today and go with McSorley.
    But what exactly are we saving?

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    We would be saving some salary cap and a position (on the 53) that we would otherwise not have - for a guy who's going to be baby sitting a 3rd year quarterback who doesn't need baby sitting

Scrooge McDucks here want to squeeze every dime out of the salary cap! News to 24x7 members: our team will have gazillions of cap space available, even if Judon is tagged.

The most important position on any NFL team is the QB. Griffin is cheap insurance against an injury to Jackson. McSorley is just a question mark who didn't even demonstrate confidence in the coaching staff to be put in for occasional trick plays. Moreover, the savings on Griffin would be minimal, and the replacement would be one of a 4th TE, an extra body on the lines, a 7th WR, etc = all low priority.

In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Scrooge McDucks here want to squeeze every dime out of the salary cap! News to 24x7 members: our team will have gazillions of cap space available, even if Judon is tagged.
    All the Scrooge McDucks feature that the only players that should be paid above the NFL minimum are the ones in the HOF - Ogden, Ray Lewis and Ed Reed - nobody else deserves more than the minimum. Hell, next year Lamar will only be worth his rookie pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    $2M in cap. If they cut Hurst and don't pick up the option on Carr with the release of Jefferson they would have an extra $17.75M in cap space. I think that's right?

There's no reason to move on from RG3 at this point. The savings are relatively minimal and you have a huge ? in McSorley. With that being said, I think there absolutely is a chance that he's not on the team come week 1. If McSorley shows some improvement throughout camp and preseason, that's the time you move on from RG3. No sense in doing it now.