Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Better to Be One And Done, or To Lose Super Bowl?

I’d bet I am much happier today than most San Fran fans. While the Ravens defeat in the playoffs was painful at the time, it’s much more painful to see your team come so close to winning it all, like the 49ers. Then to fail on the big stage and have that memory.
    Probably true for the players too.

Re: Better to Be One And Done, or To Lose Super Bowl?

Hard to say since they won their two Super Bowl appearances, but had SF been able to pull off the comeback in 2012 after the lights came back on, that would have been way worse than getting beat by the Titans in the divisional round.

I’d rather lose the Super Bowl, but I guess it’s about the same outcome isn’t it? A loss is a loss. The chiefs are the only team that will be remembered. At least until some future team or qb tries to chase the rushing records

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Re: Better to Be One And Done, or To Lose Super Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Hiker View Post
    I’d bet I am much happier today than most San Fran fans. While the Ravens defeat in the playoffs was painful at the time, it’s much more painful to see your team come so close to winning it all, like the 49ers. Then to fail on the big stage and have that memory.
    Probably true for the players too.
    I still would have wanted to make it to the Super Bowl. Oh sure I would have been downhearted today, but not as bad as I felt after being embarrassed by the Titans. If you feel that way, then why not hope to NOT make the playoffs so you won't be disappointed? ... Bc

5. Re: Better to Be One And Done, or To Lose Super Bowl?

Yeah I'd also rather lose the first game. The worst loss to date I've ever watched was the Patriots game in 2011 and that's because we were so close to getting to the SB, so I couldn't imagine what losing the SB itself feels like
    You guys wanna hear a funny joke?

DEAN PEES............That is all

I think in a close Superbowl, like the one we just witnessed between the 49ers and Chiefs, it's a lot harder to stomach knowing that your team was maybe just a few plays away from winning the entire thing. You start thinking of all the ifs, and's, or but's of maybe if they made just this one play our city owns another Lombardi and not the other guys. You start looking at the other guys with envy and jealously thinking that should be us. It's also a lot more difficult to achieve a better outcome the next season, because to improve on that, you need to win the whole damned thing. In the case of the Ravens, they blew the opening playoff game. It's easier to shrug it off saying the Ravens will do better next season; they simply weren't ready yet. To improve on the season would be to advance to the AFC championship, which is a more attainable goal than hoisting a Lombardi. I think psychologically it's more difficult to deal with coming that close to the end goal and watching it slip from your fingers, although in few years time I would think much higher of the team that gave it their all and came just short of a Superbowl victory, as opposed to the team that choked away the first playoff game against an inferior opponent.

Blog Entries

A Superbowl loss can be demoralizing. There are a lot of teams that lose in them and take years/decades to get back. I'd rather go one and done.

Blog Entries

Personally, the former.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

One and done motivates teams to gather and get better.

A Superbowl loss causes teams to blow up and have a hangover for years.

10. Re: Better to Be One And Done, or To Lose Super Bowl?

Id take the loss in the Super Bowl. At least there's some comfort of being the AFC Champion.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Choking away a 10 point lead in the 4th qtr of a super bowl would be tough to stomach. Hell, ask Seattle or Atlanta. Their flops against NE are cemented in football history and still dig at those teams. As another poster said, I'd still be bitter to this day about the lights debacle thing in 2012, if we hadn't come up with that goal line stand.

So... I guess if there's the horrendous choice, I'd pick gagging in the divisional round over choking in the SB. Just not sure an SB loss ever really goes away.

They both suck, so let's just win the Super Bowl next year.

Gimme the Super Bowl Loss. Atleast we made the dance. As much as the Bills would love a Super Bowl....I’m sure they don’t regret the 4 SB losses like they would having never been.

A loss like ours is way worse IMHO. We go 14-2. #1 seed. At home. And lose. Then the team that beat us gets blasted the next week. Makes you question the whole season. The SB is every teams goal. Win or lose atleast you’re in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk