Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Eric Weddle on retirement & post-career

From The Athletic:

‘I’m a Raven’: Eric Weddle on retirement, a post-career in Baltimore and Lamar Jackson’s future
    By Jeff Zrebiec - 3h ago
    https://theathletic.com/1603330/2020...-lamar-jackson
    Interview format:
    There’s some things that I can do on the side like scouting. (Ravens GM Eric) DeCosta and I always talked about that, whenever I was done, to do some stuff on the West Coast and fly out every few months and meet with them or whatever. That’s always a possibility right now that I could do that on the side if that offer comes about. Coaching, whether it’s NFL or college, it’s hard for me to look at those things because I’m just now enjoying retirement. How long is it going to be? I couldn’t really tell you. I know that it will be at least a year or two, where I really don’t even want to listen to those opportunities because it’s not really plausible right now. But I know eventually, I’m going to want to do something and I’m going to want to be the best at it. When the timing is right, where that avenue will take me, we’ll see. But all those things that you mentioned, coaching, management, they are all options. It just depends on where I want to see myself.

Q: Let’s go with a hypothetical. DeCosta and/or John Harbaugh ask you to work for the Ravens in some capacity. When the time comes, is that something that could interest you?

Of course. There’s no doubt. Everybody knows how much I loved that place and how much joy and happiness it brought, and how much I tried to give to them. I think they admire that and how I helped that organization and team to build what it is now. I had a strong hand in a lot of those guys. That’s obviously something that is there, and of course, I’d be open and honored to have those conversations if they ever happen.

I don't want to steal ALL of Zerb's thunder. Some of the other questions are: toughest QB he ever faced, how do you reply to people who say that Lamar's play isn't sustainable, best teammate, what do the Ravens have to do to get to the SB, etc. Weddle is forthright and engaging. Fun read.

Re: Eric Weddle on retirement & post-career

Coincidentally...

Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries

bring him in as an assistant coach

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    bring him in as an assistant coach
    Absolutely! The guy is cerebral.

Sent from my SM-J337P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bawlamer View Post
    Absolutely! The guy is cerebral.

Sent from my SM-J337P using Tapatalk
    In the article he said he would be interested in scouting part time for the Ravens out west. That's great news.

Oh yeah, I thought there was a very good chance he would return here as a coach or a scout after retirement. Hope it works out for him after he enjoys some time away from the game with his family, however long that may be.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

It's a good piece. I remarked in another thread that Eric called Judon a top priority to retain and that his value is under-appreciated because he plays the run and drops into coverage for 30% of passing situations.

I don't envision Weddle as a coach or even full fledged scout. I would see him as a West Coast cross-checker, where the team would give him a select list of players their scouts have identified for him to watch film on and visit, just to add another level of verification.