Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Window

The Window

Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaCrow View Post
    The Patriots have been operating like this for the past 20 years. Belichick took the reins as head coach there in the year 2000. His first year there they posted a 5 and 11 losing record and the next year they won the Superbowl. The year after that they went 9-7, but have never won less than 10 in a season since. During Belichicks tenure they've been to 9 Superbowls and won 6 of them.

They've done that by being good at evaluating talent and negotiating contracts that benefit the team. As a rule, they lean more towards releasing fading talent a year early rather than a year late and they avoid fools gold and block buster contracts. And nothing breeds success like success. It's the reason talented players want to play there for reasonable contracts given market value. They've managed to hold their "window" open for 20 years. Hell, it looks like it's stuck open.

I don't see any reason why our Ravens can't do the same thing. I'm very optimistic about our future. Eric DeCosta seems like a pretty savvy guy. Harbaugh seems flexible and willing to try different things in order to put a winner on the field. And, I think winning is very important to Lamar. I think our future is bright.
    The Patriots have also done it by cheating and playing in a comically un-competitive division. Those are two things EDC won’t be able to replicate.
    "Chin up, chest out."

2. Re: The Window

Sooooo, lets say that on a more even playing field our Ravens go to only 6 Superbowls and only win 4 of them over the next 20 years; would you take it? I know I would. ;-)