Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 13 to 24 of 26

Thread: The Window

  1. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Balmer Merlin Hon
    Posts
    5,054
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: The Window

    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaCrow View Post
    It's been fairly common knowledge throughout the years that Tom Brady has left money on the table in order be a ring collector.
    In fact it's been fairly common knowledge that Mr. Bundchen's spouse makes waymo $$$ (should in fact be euros methinx) than he does & there are only so many banana republics for sale to be renamed as Bundchen-Bradystan. (ETA: Maybe a mid-size Dalmatian island would do: e.g., Bundchen-Bradiya, formerly known as Hvar...)(ETA2: Or how about one of the Greek Islands? Bundchen-Brady-Ios, usw.)

    And it's a fairly common suspicion that motherfucking Bob Kraft has figured out ways to compensate Puss-In-Cleats that don't show up on the salary cap.

    Don't cry to me, Tommy Tutu:
    The truth is, you've never been hurting.
    All through your great games, your Super Bowl years,
    You've spent them crying those crocodile tears...
    Last edited by lobachevsky; 02-15-2020 at 06:39 PM.
    SIX FEET APART - or SIX FEET UNDER.
    IT'S UP TO ALL OF US. DO YOUR PART!





  2. Re: The Window

    In fact it's been fairly common knowledge that Mr. Bundchen's spouse makes waymo $$$
    Everything you say may well be true, but that still doesn't negate the fact that Brady signed some very team friendly deals for New England specifically to provide cap relief. It doesn't change the facts concerning NEs ability to maintain more talent on their roster because they rarely set the market when paying for it. It doesn't change the fact that players see New England as a desirable place to play and are willing to give the team cap friendly deals because they know they have a better chance on average of getting a ring there than anywhere else.

    Furthermore, if you snivel because you're not the highest paid performer in your chosen profession, especially when your yearly salary is tantamount to hitting the lottery every year, then that's just run away greed and petty, egotistical bullshit. It's even more damaging when your out of control greed and ego place unreasonable demands on a strictly limited community pool of resources and others pay the price. I want to hurl every time I hear ,"They trying to take food off my table" and "I got to feed my family" from multi-millionaires to justify holding out for 28 million when you've already been offered 26. Call it business all you like, but it's a business that relies on teamwork and clever management to compete at the highest levels.

    Thankfully for us I think Lamar is a team first kind of guy who want to win championships. We'll know soon enough.





  3. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    27,362
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The Window

    This article may help the Ravens keep the window open...

    An Updated Look At The Ravens Cap Situation After Tony Jefferson's Release

    By Jakob Ashlin@JakobAshlin Feb 15, 2020, 2:37pm EST :

    https://www.baltimorebeatdown.com/20...ersons-release

    "Now, the Ravens are estimated to have $31.4 million in cap space, according to Over the Cap. That number could continue to rise. They could save another $6 million in cap space by moving on from cornerback Brandon Carr.

    In addition, they could save another $2.75 million by cutting recently suspended offensive lineman James Hurst."


    ... Bc





  4. #16

    Re: The Window

    Quote Originally Posted by ChattanoogaCrow View Post
    Furthermore, if you snivel because you're not the highest paid performer in your chosen profession, especially when your yearly salary is tantamount to hitting the lottery every year, then that's just run away greed and petty, egotistical bullshit. It's even more damaging when your out of control greed and ego place unreasonable demands on a strictly limited community pool of resources and others pay the price. I want to hurl every time I hear ,"They trying to take food off my table" and "I got to feed my family" from multi-millionaires to justify holding out for 28 million when you've already been offered 26. Call it business all you like, but it's a business that relies on teamwork and clever management to compete at the highest levels.

    This debate has been circling around these boards for a long time. But it's not a lottery. It's not blind luck. It's people getting paid because they perform a function that generates an insane amount of money per person, and they are the best in the world at it. Go to your job and take a pay cut so they can hire better people around you at your company.

    We have no right to decide how much money another person should have. Certainly not when we are talking about NFL players who are millionaires, and NOT talking about billionaire owners and other captains of industry. Why doesn't anyone ever say Steve Bisciotti should take less money so we can hire more scouts? Why doesn't anyone ever say Robert DeNiro should take less to be in a movie so he can have better co-stars?

    Lamar has worked hard and been blessed with ability to do something no one else on the planet can do. If he chooses to take less money, good for him. If he does not -- also good for him. He's earned it. And if EDC doesn't think he can field a competitive team while paying Lamar that much money, then he is free to NOT offer him a contract and let somebody else pay him.
    "Not bad for a running back."





  5. Re: The Window

    Why doesn't anyone ever say Steve Bisciotti should take less money so we can hire more scouts? Why doesn't anyone ever say Robert DeNiro should take less to be in a movie so he can have better co-stars?
    That option is available to any of them at any time and though I'm not sure about DeNiro I'll bet that were times during his career, especially early on, when Steve Bisciotti tightened his belt in order to grow his company. Business people make those types of sacrifices all the time. You sacrifice your personal disposable income to better your company. The only difference is, multi-millionaire professional athletes income battles are extremely public and they tend make it that way with their public comments.


    So whatever. As good as Lamar is, he still can't win a Superbowl by himself.





  6. #18

    Re: The Window

    Back on topic lol

    I think that we all have this fear that once the Quarterback gets paid, it’s all downhill. It’s all quite understandable considering what we had to watch from 2015-2018. There were a lot of factors that went into that as well. Joe never fully getting back to his peak performance, poor drafts, injuries.
    There’s no saying that all of those will breed a perfect storm of mediocrity once again. It seems to me that they’re already planning for the Lamar contract which is the exact opposite of how Ozzie handled Joe. Honestly looking back on it I sometimes wonder if they didn’t win in 2012 if they were prepared to let Joe walk.
    Anyway, I don’t see any “windows” here. That kind of thinking puts an expiration date on success and I just can’t see Steve,EDC, and Harbaugh not having the goal of becoming the next dynasty.





  7. #19

    Re: The Window

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepercreepermd View Post
    Back on topic lol

    I think that we all have this fear that once the Quarterback gets paid, it’s all downhill. It’s all quite understandable considering what we had to watch from 2015-2018. There were a lot of factors that went into that as well. Joe never fully getting back to his peak performance, poor drafts, injuries.
    There’s no saying that all of those will breed a perfect storm of mediocrity once again. It seems to me that they’re already planning for the Lamar contract which is the exact opposite of how Ozzie handled Joe. Honestly looking back on it I sometimes wonder if they didn’t win in 2012 if they were prepared to let Joe walk.
    Anyway, I don’t see any “windows” here. That kind of thinking puts an expiration date on success and I just can’t see Steve,EDC, and Harbaugh not having the goal of becoming the next dynasty.
    Ozzie had a much worse situation in 2013 with an expensive QB, roster holes to fill, and no cap space. Nevertheless, he rebuilt steadily with younger players and had us one Elam-missed-tackle away from the AFCCG in 2014, and narrowly missing the playoffs in 2016 and 2017.

    We have had a continuous window for quite a while and are now in better shape than we ever have been. The roster has gotten steadily younger and the cap will allow us to get even a little stronger before we have to adapt to Lamar's big payoff. I am sure EDC will do what he can to cushion that financial transition.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

    (AFCCG, January 2013)





  8. #20

    Re: The Window

    Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    Ozzie had a much worse situation in 2013 with an expensive QB, roster holes to fill, and no cap space. Nevertheless, he rebuilt steadily with younger players and had us one Elam-missed-tackle away from the AFCCG in 2014, and narrowly missing the playoffs in 2016 and 2017.

    We have had a continuous window for quite a while and are now in better shape than we ever have been. The roster has gotten steadily younger and the cap will allow us to get even a little stronger before we have to adapt to Lamar's big payoff. I am sure EDC will do what he can to cushion that financial transition.
    Great point. Interesting you bring up Elam, as he was the poster boy for bad draft picks in that time frame. (He also had a pick in the XFL this weekend, but I digress.)

    You add in the horrible luck for the franchise in the Ray Rice and Dennis Pitta situations which really crippled them from a cap perspective, and it's amazing they were able to stay as competitive as they did during that time.
    "Not bad for a running back."





  9. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    27,362
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: The Window

    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Great point. Interesting you bring up Elam, as he was the poster boy for bad draft picks in that time frame. (He also had a pick in the XFL this weekend, but I digress.)

    You add in the horrible luck for the franchise in the Ray Rice and Dennis Pitta situations which really crippled them from a cap perspective, and it's amazing they were able to stay as competitive as they did during that time.
    Hot, I totally agree except for Ozzie's astonishing try to cut Boldin's $alary for 2013. He was Joe's go-to guy and performed under the most stressful of circumstances. IIRC Ozzie tried to cut his $6 MM to $4 MM and Boldin (correctly) balked at it. He went on to have 3 more productive years with the 49ers. A grand mistake by Ozzie... Bc





  10. #22

    Re: The Window

    Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Great point. Interesting you bring up Elam, as he was the poster boy for bad draft picks in that time frame. (He also had a pick in the XFL this weekend, but I digress.)

    You add in the horrible luck for the franchise in the Ray Rice and Dennis Pitta situations which really crippled them from a cap perspective, and it's amazing they were able to stay as competitive as they did during that time.
    The secondary was also ghastly in 2013-2014 with injuries to Webb and Jimmy, and having to go with Elam, Brooks, the Will Hill debacle, the Asa, Chykie, Melvin show. We have thankfully gone from hell to heaven in that sector. I suspect what kept us in fighting shape in those years was the quality players we still had close to their primes - Flacco, Yanda, Osemele, Ngata, Suggs, Steve Smith in 2014.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

    (AFCCG, January 2013)





  11. #23
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Albuquerque
    Posts
    13,521

    Re: The Window

    Ravens have a history, especially during the Harbaugh era, of reloading and never truly rebuilding. Hasn't always been successful (playoff drought), but it shows this organization doesn't believe in throwing all their eggs in one basket to chase a championship during an arbitrary window time frame. The goal has always been to develop a yearly contender in the mold of the Patriots. I don't see that changing.
    Follow me on Twitter:https://twitter.com/Dade_view

    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

    "The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller





  12. Re: The Window

    The Patriots have been operating like this for the past 20 years. Belichick took the reins as head coach there in the year 2000. His first year there they posted a 5 and 11 losing record and the next year they won the Superbowl. The year after that they went 9-7, but have never won less than 10 in a season since. During Belichicks tenure they've been to 9 Superbowls and won 6 of them.

    They've done that by being good at evaluating talent and negotiating contracts that benefit the team. As a rule, they lean more towards releasing fading talent a year early rather than a year late and they avoid fools gold and block buster contracts. And nothing breeds success like success. It's the reason talented players want to play there for reasonable contracts given market value. They've managed to hold their "window" open for 20 years. Hell, it looks like it's stuck open.

    I don't see any reason why our Ravens can't do the same thing. I'm very optimistic about our future. Eric DeCosta seems like a pretty savvy guy. Harbaugh seems flexible and willing to try different things in order to put a winner on the field. And, I think winning is very important to Lamar. I think our future is bright.





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Link To Mobile Site