Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Free College and Cancelling Student Debt

Quote Originally Posted by blah3 View Post
    Yep, all the loans/aid thrown at education has caused the cost to skyrocket. Well meaning plans that have a bigger problem then they were tryin to solve
    Seeing that most student loans are approved...why wouldnít colleges raise their costs. It was a no-brainer.

Whoís approving the loans? Whoís agreeing to pay the loans?

I used to work with a girl who went to college to be an elementary school teacher. She said her loan payment was almost $900/month. She complained about the high payment. It never occurred to her that she made a pretty stupid financial decision.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    Seeing that most student loans are approved...why wouldn’t colleges raise their costs. It was a no-brainer.

Who’s approving the loans? Who’s agreeing to pay the loans?

I used to work with a girl who went to college to be an elementary school teacher. She said her loan payment was almost $900/month. She complained about the high payment. It never occurred to her that she made a pretty stupid financial decision.
    Because that's not how education is perceived - nor, should it really be perceived as a stupid decision.

A stupid financial decision would be buying a $60,000 car when you only make $50K a year. A stupid financial decision would be opening up a credit card to pay off another credit card. :D
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

RIP #25

They're "taught" it's a good decision. That it's an "investment" in their future. Under the raw math it's not wrong, but the raw math doesn't pay the bills while they're trying to pay back the loans and everything else.

A lot of students should take college on a six or even eight year track, but culturally and societally we look at it as a single period in someone's life that should be finished in four or five years.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Because that's not how education is perceived - nor, should it really be perceived as a stupid decision.

A stupid financial decision would be buying a $60,000 car when you only make $50K a year. A stupid financial decision would be opening up a credit card to pay off another credit card. :D
    The ďIíll have to pay this backĒ part of applying for colleges SHOULD be part of the process. Especially now. Itís unfortunate, but...it is what it is. The perception needs to change.

Taking on insane debt to then major in something like philosophy isnít a shrewd life choice. Iím all for ďeducationĒ but the economics of it all are real. Somebody pays.

Seeing that most student loans are approved...why wouldnít colleges raise their costs. It was a no-brainer.

Whoís approving the loans? Whoís agreeing to pay the loans?

Getting an education that is required for you to get a job is not a stupid financial decision.
    The loans guarantees and grants doled out by the federal govt has skewed the marketplace for cost

Getting an education that is required for you to get a job is not a stupid financial decision.
    The loans guarantees and grants doled out by the federal govt has skewed the marketplace for cost
    If you want to be a teacher and agree to incur a shitload of debt from UNC that youíll struggle to pay back because teachers in NC are grossly underpaid and student loan payments are astronomical...thatís a smart financial decision? Especially with other less costly options available to pursue that same job.

Nah.

I agree that the government has fucked this all up and itís forcing people to not be able to do what they want in life. Again, the situation sucks.
    Last edited by ravenmaniac4life; 02-19-2020 at 12:51 PM.

It is a stupid financial decision to go in debt for more money than you'll make when you're required to pay it back.

Does college need to be cheaper? Yes. But if you can't afford it (especially with the job the degree will get you) go to a CC and then get an online degree or something. But 60k debt before you earn a dollar of the 50k a year teacher salary is a stupid decision.
    "Don't let your happiness depend on something you may lose." - C.S. Lewis

If you want to be a teacher and agree to incur a shitload of debt that you won’t be able to pay back because teachers in NC are grossly underpaid...that’s a smart financial decision? Especially with other less costly options available to pursue that same job.

Nah.
    Agreed. Just because the cost of college are unnecessarily high and need to be fixed doesn't eliminate the math..

If you want to be a teacher and agree to incur a shitload of debt that you wonít be able to pay back because teachers in NC are grossly underpaid...thatís a smart financial decision? Especially with other less costly options available to pursue that same job.

Nah.
    It is. Cause you will be able to teach for 30+ years and by the end youíll have a really good salary. Now you could argue that finding a cheaper school would have been beneficially, butís letís not try to make out like all higher education is a bad deal.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    if you can't afford it (especially with the job the degree will get you) go to a CC and then get an online degree or something.
    Yup

...letís not try to make out like all higher education is a bad deal.
    Iím not.

I went to college and it gave me the resources to allow me to have an insanely manicured and beautiful Bermuda lawn that causes people to stop and stare when they walk by. My student loan payments were well worth it :)

It is. Cause you will be able to teach for 30+ years and by the end you’ll have a really good salary. Now you could argue that finding a cheaper school would have been beneficially, but’s let’s not try to make out like all higher education is a bad deal.
    I don't think he is. I think his example spells it out. When you take out a shitload of debt and have a high payment and you don't make much, kinda hard to complain about that.