Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Free College and Cancelling Student Debt

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Absolutely.

The only trade I don't screw around with is electrical and that's because it terrifies me.
    For real. Not to mention snaking wires truly seems like a pain in the ass.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    While I agree that more kids need to learn a trade and it should still be taught in high school,you guys are forgetting one huge thing....kids are LAZY! Ask most people under 30 if they’d rather pay someone or cut their own lawn. I’d bet any amount 90% would rather pay someone else. Sadly this mentality starts with my generation. We were the first exposed to the “college is the only way “ idealism. Until we stop with this dumb shit , nothing is gonna change. We’ve allowed this to happen on our watch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Shit man. I already have my son doing chores and he’s 7. Lol.

He’s quite intelligent and good (naturally) in math. But he is not a fan of school. He would much rather be outside digging in the dirt.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Free college and canceling student debt are bad ideas, imo, but we do need to take a good hard look at our education systems and reform them.

The purpose of primary schooling shouldn't be to churn out good little office and factory drones. It should be to develop citizens capable of critical thinking and inculcated in the Enlightenment ideas and ideals on which this nation and Republic were founded.

In higher education, STEM degrees should be prioritized, but we also need to recognize that 1) not everyone is suited for college, and 2) we need people who are capable in the trade. Those STEM degrees ain't worth much if there's no one to build what they develop and design.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    Free college and canceling student debt are bad ideas, imo, but we do need to take a good hard look at our education systems and reform them.

The purpose of primary schooling shouldn't be to churn out good little office and factory drones. It should be to develop citizens capable of critical thinking and inculcated in the Enlightenment ideas and ideals on which this nation and Republic were founded.

In higher education, STEM degrees should be prioritized, but we also need to recognize that 1) not everyone is suited for college, and 2) we need people who are capable in the trade. Those STEM degrees ain't worth much if there's no one to build what they develop and design.

I agree with everything you've said here.

No one really cares about solving the education issue. Otherwise, we would be looking at the universities and asking why tuition is rising so fast. Instead of looking at lenders and wondering why they want to collect on loans

He’s quite intelligent and good (naturally) in math. But he is not a fan of school. He would much rather be outside digging in the dirt.

Crane Operators make bank. It is a swanky/cushy job in the construction field as well. Almost a pseudo-management level command of the job site and inferred respect from others as such.

That’s good genetics brother! My sons are basically the same. One went to college and now works on cars for a living and the other joined the Army when he graduated and he’s now transferring to the Navy.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Crane Operators make bank. It is a swanky/cushy job in the construction field as well. Almost a pseudo-management level command of the job site and inferred respect from others as such.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    No one really cares about solving the education issue. Otherwise, we would be looking at the universities and asking why tuition is rising so fast. Instead of looking at lenders and wondering why they want to collect on loans
    Supply and Demand.

Colleges can get away with charging ridiculous tuition rates because - for the last 20-30 years - it has been a foregone conclusion that one needs to go to college to succeed in life.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    That’s good genetics brother! My sons are basically the same. One went to college and now works on cars for a living and the other joined the Army when he graduated and he’s now transferring to the Navy.

GO NAVY.

No joke man - Navy saved my life. Gave me a career path and the discipline to get there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    Tuition keeps rising because more money keeps getting funneled towards schools. More student aid means rising costs. It's the most basic rule of economics: the more demand there is relative to supply the higher the cost.

Quote Originally Posted by bacchys View Post
    Tuition keeps rising because more money keeps getting funneled towards schools. More student aid means rising costs. It's the most basic rule of economics: the more demand there is relative to supply the higher the cost.

Yep, all the loans/aid thrown at education has caused the cost to skyrocket. Well meaning plans that have a bigger problem then they were tryin to solve