Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Free College and Cancelling Student Debt

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Not me, but I got a B.S. in Marketing and Management Information Systems from a major state institution in 2002. My parents, the government, my loans and everything all in for 5 years was around $110k including room and board all expenses, everything.
    I owed a measly $23k in student loan debt.

If I could trade back every ounce of knowledge I gained and income it directly provided, penny for penny i would. At $110k I grossly overpaid what it provided me with on a logical basis. I should have hung drywall and gotten an apartment with friends and had toga parties and did stupid shit for 5 years instead.

It’s a travesty that kids are now paying $80k/ur to find out what they want to do in life... go to UTI for 6 months and make $32/hr to start as a welder...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Think I was around there too, for double degree in music performance and information systems. Similar level of personal debt coming out due to partial scholarships and my parents taking plus loans. It has definitely worked out well for me as a software engineer though.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Yeah. The cost increase has been no joke. That's why I was curious. Most of the grad students I encountered at Penn state seemed to have assistantships though.

Most schools have those. When going for a doctorate the school pays a stipend to teach while covering tuition.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Most schools have those. When going for a doctorate the school pays a stipend to teach while covering tuition.
    Yeah. I think some of the masters students in my program were getting that too just because it was so new.

Last edited by Ortizer; 02-17-2020 at 12:30 AM.

Blog Entries

I graduated high school with $0 in debt. Beat that!

Think I was around there too, for double degree in music performance and information systems. Similar level of personal debt coming out due to partial scholarships and my parents taking plus loans. It has definitely worked out well for me as a software engineer though.

Oh for sure... that’s a profession that pays commensurate with earning a degree, aka a good investment,

I just haven’t used my degree. Not that it doesn’t have value, it just hasn’t for ME. I graduated and started in sales because it paid so much more than entry level marketing positions and never got out. I didn’t need to go to college to get into sales.

Oh for sure... that’s a profession that pays commensurate with earning a degree, aka a good investment,

I just haven’t used my degree. Not that it doesn’t have value, it just hasn’t for ME. I graduated and started in sales because it paid so much more than entry level marketing positions and never got out. I didn’t need to go to college to get into sales.

Yeah. That's fair. There are a ton of degree options out there, but only a small proportion she particularly useful is you only have a Bachelor's. I'm kind of in the same camp as Ditkas where I could see some subsidizing of college, but only for select programs.

Yeah. That's fair. There are a ton of degree options out there, but only a small proportion she particularly useful is you only have a Bachelor's. I'm kind of in the same camp as Ditkas where I could see some subsidizing of college, but only for select programs.

Let capitalism do its work, No reason a Hospital can’t offer student loan repayment while employed and balance paid off after 5 years of service. No reason to subsidize it up front if it’s conditional, do it on the back end.

Let capitalism do its work, No reason a Hospital can’t offer student loan repayment while employed and balance paid off after 5 years of service. No reason to subsidize it up front if it’s conditional, do it on the back end.

Pretty sure some places have started to do that. With that specific example, the military has some sick programs as well.

As far as Hospitals go...that would severely cut their profit. The CEOs of these Hospitals are business men/women. They only care about the bottom line...and their bonuses.

My wife is a CCRN Masters degree ICU nurse. They “reimbursed” her a whooping $3000 a yr! Um. Thanks for barely coving lab fees. Enjoy your $5million salary. Smh.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    As of now, she only wants to pay off current debt for people making less than a certain amount. Like 75k
    Yeah. That might be reasonable if they owed on community college debt and they also worked through their college years to help make the tuition and book costs.

Actually, it still wouldn't.

There is no such thing as a right to something when it is produced by the sweat of other people. Education and healthcare are not rights. You can make a case for a rich country to provide some level of these for all people but it is never a RIGHT. You don't have the right to the labor of others. EVER.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by DitkasSausage View Post
    Here is a shocker: I think that some college tuition should be subsidized. I've made this argument before:

I'm fine with a program that covers tuition for STEM programs (must be approved by NASA, GSA, or agencies that need these individuals). If you are attending college and choose a STEM field, the Fed will cover your tuition unless you get below a B+ GPA, and you must graduate. You must be an American Citizen. You also must work for a Government Agency for 3 years after college. If you meet those requirements, you will not owe one dime in tuition. The minute you break that contract, you owe the tuition in entirety. You clearly will qualify for student loans to cover that debt.

The college programs MUST be vetted in order to qualify.

We have a serious lack of good STEM people in the Federal Government, and there are threats this nation faces that we need the best and brightest in Government. If we really have morons at the top thinking Russia "hacked" our election, then we need this sooner than later. We don't need our best and brightest working at Google or Facebook. If you are a company that wants to pick off this top level talent... that is fine... you can elect to pay their tuition then in order to bring them over to your company. Tech companies have been poaching top talent from places like NASA, the CDC, the FBI & CIA. Now those agencies are littered with the people that Big Tech didn't want.

I do NOT support paying for someone's kid to smoke pot for 5 years and get a liberal arts degree. That is asinine... anyone with any ability to think should be against that.
    I think subsidizing medical school for nurses, PAs, and doctors is good also, with the proviso they work off their debt (they get paid but at much less than a doctor would make) at free clinics operated in or near ERs that often handle uninsured people. These free clinics would lessen the pressure on ERs to handle colds and minor injuries that are now handled in the ER. After some time the person would be done (5 or 10 years) and be free to make all the money they could.

Blog Entries

Almost? When did it become 1999 again... it’s 2020 most Starbucks Baristas have a bachelors degree...

Guidance counselors nationwide screwed over a whole generation of kids that graduation HS roughly 1990-2016 into thinking everyone needed to go to college. A whole generation of kids talked out of trades, useful jobs, talked into useless degrees.

Damn right man. It's disgusting. You basically push college on a bunch of kids that just wrapped up 13-14 years of school...so now they get to go do 4+ more years...but now they have the option to take classes that are interesting to them. Most 18 year olds are not thinking about their career - they're focused on what's in front of them and that's being on their own for the first time making decisions. College also rarely translates into real-world $$$ for people. I highly doubt an 18 year old is going "my parents are paying $50K for this...I better make the most of it and get a good ROI for them...".

Not me, but I got a B.S. in Marketing and Management Information Systems from a major state institution in 2002. My parents, the government, my loans and everything all in for 5 years was around $110k including room and board all expenses, everything.
    I owed a measly $23k in student loan debt.

If I could trade back every ounce of knowledge I gained and income it directly provided, penny for penny i would. At $110k I grossly overpaid what it provided me with on a logical basis. I should have hung drywall and gotten an apartment with friends and had toga parties and did stupid shit for 5 years instead.

It’s a travesty that kids are now paying $80k/ur to find out what they want to do in life... go to UTI for 6 months and make $32/hr to start as a welder...

I agree. I went to college, majored in political science (a completely useless degree), came out with a shit load of student debt because no one explained that shit to me and my parents (while good people) never went to college and weren't exactly on the up-and-up in terms of economics...

I enlisted in the Navy after college. I learned more in the Navy than I ever did in college. The Navy gave me a career path - not college. I dont regret going to college, but in looking back on it, other than meeting my wife, I don't see it as a reason for me being where I am today. For those reasons, I kind of wish I had enlisted right out of high school.

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    My kid is a sophomore. Smart kid. But he doesn’t like school. If he gets looked at for lacrosse, I will encourage him to go to college. Otherwise, I have already started to plant the seed of a plumber or electrician. Own your own business in less than 10 years. I told him he could have all the money I have saved for college if he wanted to get a trade
    We are taking the same approach with our kids. I would also encourage the military as I got a lot out of it and I think the military would be good for most young adults. Discipline, accountability, and respect are things that are sorely lacking in many younger adults these days.

I also think college is going to be totally different for my kids. Sure, the 4-year institutions will still be around....I dont see Harvard or Yale going under anytime soon. However, I think as colleges become more and more expensive and class themselves out of being an option for most of middle-America, online schooling will become a lot more robust. It already has in some respects. University of Md University College, for example, has some really great accredited online programs in cyber security, MBA programs, etc. Plus, I think this will be a better option for most kids because they can live at home still if they want, save $$$, work, and get a degree.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.