Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Free College and Cancelling Student Debt

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Gov Involvement = Gov Control

Gov Control = Fewer Liberties and Personal Control
    I have struggled with this because while I do agree with it... there are some things that I cannot go FULL LIBERTARIAN on. I am in favor of abolishing the entire Department of Education. It is ridiculous, and education standards have fallen since they were implemented. I actually typed out why the Fed should subsidize per student in each state, but that has not worked either because then schools just lower standards so that kids don't fail out. It seems funny, but the only way to actually IMPROVE school standards is if the FED penalized states per student haha. Schools would have to put in more rigid requirements in order to TRY and fail kids lol. It is kind of funny but it is the reality and sort of proves why ANY funding on a per/student basis is not going to work.

Education is a tough one man... maybe it should just be fully privatized. Best schools producing best students would receive donations from their highly educated workforce they produce. If you were a crappy school, then your teachers wouldn't make squat. If you were a good school, people would travel to you and attend your school. More students = more revenue for expansion = higher teacher pay. The textbook industry would no longer be getting big ass government checks and oversight which has turned them into propaganda books.

I honestly cannot think of one thing that government money improves. When you start to think of a policy... and really think it through, you realize that government money actually encourages failure. My college proposal would be really the only one that I can think of, but it requires the student to contribute to the FED....
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead

Quote Originally Posted by DitkasSausage View Post
    Here is a shocker: I think that some college tuition should be subsidized. I've made this argument before:

I'm fine with a program that covers tuition for STEM programs (must be approved by NASA, GSA, or agencies that need these individuals). If you are attending college and choose a STEM field, the Fed will cover your tuition unless you get below a B+ GPA, and you must graduate. You must be an American Citizen. You also must work for a Government Agency for 3 years after college. If you meet those requirements, you will not owe one dime in tuition. The minute you break that contract, you owe the tuition in entirety. You clearly will qualify for student loans to cover that debt.

The college programs MUST be vetted in order to qualify.

We have a serious lack of good STEM people in the Federal Government, and there are threats this nation faces that we need the best and brightest in Government. If we really have morons at the top thinking Russia "hacked" our election, then we need this sooner than later. We don't need our best and brightest working at Google or Facebook. If you are a company that wants to pick off this top level talent... that is fine... you can elect to pay their tuition then in order to bring them over to your company. Tech companies have been poaching top talent from places like NASA, the CDC, the FBI & CIA. Now those agencies are littered with the people that Big Tech didn't want.

I do NOT support paying for someone's kid to smoke pot for 5 years and get a liberal arts degree. That is asinine... anyone with any ability to think should be against that.
    Ic and military will do that to some extent once you're employed/enlisted respectively

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    If the GOV makes college free. The next step is to make it mandatory. All that will do, is cause smart business to expect a masters to get hired at w well paying job. Soon, college will just be called grades 13-16
    We're almost there as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post

Community college tuition should be free for for kids with a certain gpa. Heavily subsidized for everyone else. If you are going to make it free it has to be rationed and makes sense to use high school GPA to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    Community college tuition should be free for for kids with a certain gpa. Heavily subsidized for everyone else. If you are going to make it free it has to be rationed and makes sense to use high school GPA to do that.
    My student loan debt came out to around 2k dollars total with multiple degrees. The first semester of my first master's I had to pay out of pocket. Everything else was always paid through scholarships or by stipends from the university.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    My student loan debt came out to around 2k dollars total with multiple degrees. The first semester of my first master's I had to pay out of pocket. Everything else was always paid through scholarships or by stipends from the university.
    How long ago tough?

How long ago tough?

I started my master's 21 years ago, a little before the federal government made college so expensive.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Almost? When did it become 1999 again... it’s 2020 most Starbucks Baristas have a bachelors degree...

Guidance counselors nationwide screwed over a whole generation of kids that graduation HS roughly 1990-2016 into thinking everyone needed to go to college. A whole generation of kids talked out of trades, useful jobs, talked into useless degrees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long ago tough?

Not me, but I got a B.S. in Marketing and Management Information Systems from a major state institution in 2002. My parents, the government, my loans and everything all in for 5 years was around $110k including room and board all expenses, everything.
    I owed a measly $23k in student loan debt.

If I could trade back every ounce of knowledge I gained and income it directly provided, penny for penny i would. At $110k I grossly overpaid what it provided me with on a logical basis. I should have hung drywall and gotten an apartment with friends and had toga parties and did stupid shit for 5 years instead.

It’s a travesty that kids are now paying $80k/ur to find out what they want to do in life... go to UTI for 6 months and make $32/hr to start as a welder...

Lol. In the wise words of Judge Smales “ the world needs ditch diggers too”.

My kid is a sophomore. Smart kid. But he doesn’t like school. If he gets looked at for lacrosse, I will encourage him to go to college. Otherwise, I have already started to plant the seed of a plumber or electrician. Own your own business in less than 10 years. I told him he could have all the money I have saved for college if he wanted to get a trade

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    I started my master's 21 years ago, a little before the federal government made college so expensive.
    Yeah. The cost increase has been no joke. That's why I was curious. Most of the grad students I encountered at Penn state seemed to have assistantships though.