Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

The Electoral College

I thought we had a thread on this, but maybe it's just part of another.

Anyway. I thought this was a short but to the point article on why it's needed.

The Electoral College Still Makes Sense Because We’re Not A Democracy

"Think of the Electoral College like the World Series. One person-one vote equates to the World Series Champions being determined by total number of runs scored. If the Dodgers win the first game 10-0, and the Yankees win the next four games 1-0, the Dodgers win the series. Even though the Yankees bested the Dodgers in four games, it doesn’t matter because the Dodgers scored 10 runs to their 4. One anomalous game decides the whole series. Without the Electoral College, a few heavily populated states decide the whole election."

Re: The Electoral College

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I thought we had a thread on this, but maybe it's just part of another.

Anyway. I thought this was a short but to the point article on why it's needed.

The Electoral College Still Makes Sense Because We’re Not A Democracy

"Think of the Electoral College like the World Series. One person-one vote equates to the World Series Champions being determined by total number of runs scored. If the Dodgers win the first game 10-0, and the Yankees win the next four games 1-0, the Dodgers win the series. Even though the Yankees bested the Dodgers in four games, it doesn’t matter because the Dodgers scored 10 runs to their 4. One anomalous game decides the whole series. Without the Electoral College, a few heavily populated states decide the whole election."
    I feel like we've discussed this a ton down here, but I'm always up for anything.

This baseball analogy is GREAT and spot on, btw.

Per the Constitution...America was designed by our founders as a Republic...which means that the EC is pretty straightforward. If we were a Democracy (we aren't), the EC wouldn't make sense. The founders could've made us a Democracy if they wanted to, but in their infinite wisdom...they knew that the new government would have to be different. We are. THIS is one of the many reasons why the US is the greatest human experiment of all time.

At its core, the EC system sets up disparity in representation so that the entire country isn't beholden to its most populated regions (Los Angeles, NYC, Chicago). What works in CA, NY, IL, or even TX isn't reflective of the union holistically. The EC means that the President has to appeal to the entire country and not just 3-4 states/3-4 cities.

Something else to consider... By abolishing a key aspect of the Constitution...it would make it a lot easier to rig national election results. I know illegal voting is a hotly contested topic down here and we've beaten that issue to death...but...importing people into the country to vote for a party/candidate that will promise them FREE healthcare and FREE college and FREE whatever would completely reshape the country as we know it. It would almost certainly guarantee that one political party stay in charge FOREVER. All they would need is more votes from more people. The easy solution would be to decriminalize illegal immigration. Don't think for a second that the political bureaucracy wouldn't do everything in their power to make that happen. They're already trying: https://dailycaller.com/2020/02/06/t...s-deportation/

Let's be honest. The only reason the EC is even an issue right now is because a Democrat isn't President. If Trump wins the popular vote in November, the topic won't be brought up again until a Republican wins the presidency in 2024.

Blog Entries

All one needs to do is look at a heat map of the 2016 election. Something like 80% of Hillary’s votes came from NYC, Chicago, and LA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    All one needs to do is look at a heat map of the 2016 election. Something like 80% of Hillary’s votes came from NYC, Chicago, and LA.
    youve said this a few times and it cannot be accurate.

The population of NYC is 8.5m. in total. meaning if everybody voted for her, and all 3 cities listed were that population (the others are less), theyd account for 25.5/65.8m votes for her. needless to say all of NYC is not of voting age, and not all voting for HRC.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

The Electoral College

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    youve said this a few times and it cannot be accurate.

The population of NYC is 8.5m. in total. meaning if everybody voted for her, and all 3 cities listed were that population (the others are less), theyd account for 25.5/65.8m votes for her. needless to say all of NYC is not of voting age, and not all voting for HRC.
    I think if you include surrounding areas of those major metropolitan hubs, you can start to see what I was referring to. The 80% might be an exaggeration, but generally speaking, it’s totally accurate.

It’s also directly representative of how and where she focused her campaign.

Last edited by wickedsolo; 02-12-2020 at 02:06 PM.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think if you include surrounding areas of those major metropolitan hubs, you can start to see what I was referring to. The 80% might be an exaggeration, but generally speaking, it’s totally accurate.

It’s also directly representative half how and where she focused her campaign.

Yeah. Los Angeles County and surrounding counties. It has more people than like 20 states or something
    Last edited by NCRAVEN; 02-12-2020 at 01:46 PM. Reason: sent from my phone

Alexander Hamilton, 1788

“It has been observed that a pure democracy, if it were practicable, would be the most perfect government. Experience has proved that no position is more false than this. The ancient democracies, in which the people themselves deliberated, never possessed one good feature of government. Their very character was tyranny; their figure deformity.”

I think it would work better if states awarded their electors either proportionally, or by district (one per rep, 2 go statewide to represent the senators). That way you can't ignore states completely.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    I think it would work better if states awarded their electors either proportionally, or by district (one per rep, 2 go statewide to represent the senators). That way you can't ignore states completely.

I like the model where they votes are awarded to the candidates who wins the most congressional districts in the state. That would change things a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I like the model where they votes are awarded to the candidates who wins the most congressional districts in the state. That would change things a lot.
    That would really make them campaign everywhere for some of the states

States splitting their electoral college votes reduces the influence of the state.

Blog Entries

That would really make them campaign everywhere for some of the states

It would be awesome