Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: 2020 NFL Draft - OL Prospects

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I'm with you! I want a Center who is/has experience in that position. I think it's easier to find an OG, but I don't want to convert one. This is why I had hoped Bozemen won the job... Bc
    With Skura's future looking questionable, it's still very possible Bozeman might slide over to Center this year.

Mekari backs him up. Powers, Hurst, and mid round draft pick compete for the LG spot. With 3 other pro bowlers at LT, RT, & RG, and the most mobile QB in the game, I think that would be more than adequate.

Starting quality of the interior OL is a major problem.

Consider Yanda gone, or perhaps diminished and then gone soon, either to injury or retirement. Skura may go the way of Siragusa; we cannot count on him for 2020 in good form, in any case. Hurst may have turned himself into trade bait, which might not be a bad thing. The versatility is still there, but how good is he anywhere but LG and without his PEDs? Bozeman was not a great college C and is too unathletic to have a good ceiling at C at the pro level. He looks ok as an LG and backup C. Mekari has shown promise and there is hope for Powers eventually perhaps at RG.

These last guys give us good depth and some hope for starting quality, but that's all at this point.

The problem is solved by drafting Cesar Ruiz, who some are calling the best interior OL in the draft. He is rock solid, with pro comps of Mangold and Travis Frederick. We should be glad he is as young as he is, for that is what looks like will get him to slide to #28. He would be gone by #33 at the latest, I would think. (Burrow #1, Ruiz#33 - and the Bengals are transformed on offense).

Bozeman, Mekari, Powers and Hurst or draft replacement - all these guys will prosper best if they are flanked by high quality at T, which we have, and Ruiz in the middle.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Quote Originally Posted by tnsmith90 View Post
    With Skura's future looking questionable, it's still very possible Bozeman might slide over to Center this year.

Mekari backs him up. Powers, Hurst, and mid round draft pick compete for the LG spot. With 3 other pro bowlers at LT, RT, & RG, and the most mobile QB in the game, I think that would be more than adequate.
    I would have liked to have seen that LAST year.

Is there a chance that Ravens brass just don't see Bozeman as an NFL center? Not mobile enough? That they only see him as a G?
    (Maybe that's a stupid question: G requires mobility too, esp in Roman's offense.)

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post

Is there a chance that Ravens brass just don't see Bozeman as an NFL center? Not mobile enough? That they only see him as a G?
    (Maybe that's a stupid question: G requires mobility too, esp in Roman's offense.)
    I'd argue he needs more mobility at LG than at C i nthis offense.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I'd argue he needs more mobility at LG than at C i nthis offense.
    Right -- so the mobility he's shown, which is adequate at LG, ought to be enough+ at C. Yeah?

Right -- so the mobility he's shown, which is adequate at LG, ought to be enough+ at C. Yeah?
    I think his best chance at a long term starting position is 100% at C

But I wasn’t impressed with his mobility at LG. On designed pulls he did well bexause your end location is predetermined (that’s the nice thing about gap runs - I mean there’s always some improvising but not as much as zone). In zone combination blocks I just didn’t see enough.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Bozeman was a starter at C for three or four years at Alabama, also on a championship team. There is a reason he was drafted in the 6th round. He has had two years to show that he could play C at the nfl level. There is a reason Skura beat him out. We should be glad Bozeman has done so well at LG. The Bengals have been taking the same path with Billy Price, who was drafted in the first round.

Really good Centers are hard to find - some teams have been fiddling around with bad ones for years.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

I think he probably just got beaten out by Skura for that spot. Center is a position where knowledge, and experience matter a lot. Skura always had that advantage over him.

Plus, Skura had already established himself as an adequate starting NFL center. So, it's possible the coaches just thought he was "one of the best 5 guys" as they like to put it. If that's the case it meant that Bozeman, and Hurst were left to battle it out for that LG spot.

Moving forward, Bozeman probably still has a decent chance to stick at Center.

If Bozeman/Mekari/Draftee can be solid at center, and we can find solid production at LG, I think we will be in pretty good shape. I may be in the minority here on the board, but I really don't think a team needs a pro bowler at every position along the line. We already have 3 for next season. As long as the remaining 2 spots are filled by solid/average or better talent, I think the offense will be plenty good enough to challenge for a ring.

Blog Entries

As much as people like/love Ruiz, I would not draft him in round #1. Sure I'd spend a 2nd OR if we traded down from the 1st, but I'd rather go pass-rush (OLB/DE) or even WR with the Ravens 1st pick... Bc

P.S. - the wife and I are headed down to Panama for 9 days on vacation starting tomorrow morning. So, I'd like to thank GWNR for his assessments of OL Prospects. Very well done!

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    As much as people like/love Ruiz, I would not draft him in round #1. Sure I'd spend a 2nd OR if we traded down from the 1st, but I'd rather go pass-rush (OLB/DE) or even WR with the Ravens 1st pick... Bc

P.S. - the wife and I are headed down to Panama for 9 days on vacation starting tomorrow morning. So, I'd like to thank GWNR for his assessments of OL Prospects. Very well done!
    Safe travels Bc!
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

I thought Mekari played pretty well at C once Skura got hurt.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I thought Mekari played pretty well at C once Skura got hurt.
    Agreed for sure. I personalyl think he'd be a great LG if he can add some muscle.
    - Ray Lewis