Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Chuck Clark - 3 year extension

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    Who?
    We going to do this again? I'll fight.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    People expected the cover 3 deep safety Earl Thomas fro Seattle. Simply put he did not play the deep third full time. He was asked to do a lot of different things he’s never done and to my eyes did fairly well. I expect him to do even better having a year under his belt in this new system.
    Earl Thomas played very well. I expect having a year of adjustment behind him will offset being a year older in 2020, and that he will play very well again. He can still cover a lot of ground to make tackles and protect against the deep ball. We will have a better pass rush in 2020 and I hope that leads to him playing more time patrolling the deep. He is also an ideal safety to have when you have a gambling CB like Marcus Peters. ET is intense and has a lot of pride - he didn't come here just to cash a check.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

What a steal lol holy shit EDC is a wizard
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Under 5M per year cap charge for a quality, ascending starting safety seems like an amazing deal to me. I guess Clark decided as a 6th round pick, 10M guaranteed in hand was worth 15M in the bush, so to speak. He'll still have another chance for big $$$ after this one too.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Woot!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

How does this effect our available spend for this year?

Quote Originally Posted by apple1088 View Post
    How does this effect our available spend for this year?
    I believe Ravor saying Clark was in line for the play escalator, making his pre-extension cap figure around $2m.

This extension does cut around $1-1.5m into the 2020 cap. However, in doing so, it keeps his 21/22/23 cap figures incredibly low. Given all the players still needing paid in upcoming years (Hump, Ronnie, OBJ, LJ, Mandrews), it's a smartly constructed extension.

Odd are very strong that he'll play through the duration of the contract.

I will sum up my reaction to this news thusly:

Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Jefferson is gone for sure. No need for him now.
    There was never any doubt in my mind. He's not that good and he's overpaid. Great guy, great teammate, but it's a no-brainer to cut bait, even if they hadn't extended Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I believe Ravor saying Clark was in line for the play escalator, making his pre-extension cap figure around $2m.

This extension does cut around $1-1.5m into the 2020 cap. However, in doing so, it keeps his 21/22/23 cap figures incredibly low. Given all the players still needing paid in upcoming years (Hump, Ronnie, OBJ, LJ, Mandrews), it's a smartly constructed extension.

Odd are very strong that he'll play through the duration of the contract.
    Quote Originally Posted by BHSU View Post
    1.5 Million is nothing to our salary cap when we realize he is our defensive captain
    But we're also going to save, what, $11M when they cut Jefferson? So we're still WAY to the plus side.

Blog Entries

We've seen the past two years what having the wrong guy calling your defense on field can do vs. what having the right guy calling it can do, so for me, this would have been worth it even if the contract was another couple million per year. They've also been spending too much on safety since Reed left, you can argue maybe they still are w/ Thomas being paid what he is (although he is playing to that contract IMO, at least last year), so being able to purge TJ's contract while keeping Clark for relatively cheap is nice.

This is the rare deal that absolutely nobody in this fan base should have any problem with.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    There was never any doubt in my mind. He's not that good and he's overpaid. Great guy, great teammate, but it's a no-brainer to cut bait, even if they hadn't extended Clark.
    He tweeted a congratulations to Chuck. It sucks because he really is the guy you want to root for. But I agree with you. It was an obvious move, and Chuck clark signing just made it a guarantee 100% lock.

I wish TJ the best.
    - Ray Lewis