Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Besides a top tier add at reciever, should the coaches give some already on the roster a fair chance

Brown, Boykin, Hurst and a promising WR draftee will all be clamoring for targets, and Lamar will surely not forget about Andrews and Snead. And we will continue to be a run-heavy team even without Lamar taking off.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Blog Entries

Re: Besides a top tier add at reciever, should the coaches give some already on the roster a fair chance

Quote Originally Posted by rhapsody View Post
    Brown, Boykin, Hurst and a promising WR draftee will all be clamoring for targets, and Lamar will surely not forget about Andrews and Snead. And we will continue to be a run-heavy team even without Lamar taking off.
    rhap, They'll all be wanting more targets, but like babies that want mother's milk. there's just some much to go around. The positive I see is that LJ will have multiple acceptable options to throw to. That should cost opposing DCs nightmares to defend... Bc

3. Re: Besides a top tier add at reciever, should the coaches give some already on the roster a fair chance

If we don't get a top tier wide receiver (I'm warming up to trading for Diggs), we're going to be sitting frustrated like we did this post season when we couldn't score more than 12 points against Tennessee. A rookie wide receiver in this years draft is not going to get us past Kansas City or Tennessee in the playoffs. The two superbowls the Ravens won had a Shannon Sharpe and an Anquin Bolden. Our window of opportunity for a superbowl won't stay open forever.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by simplesimon View Post
    If we don't get a top tier wide receiver (I'm warming up to trading for Diggs), we're going to be sitting frustrated like we did this post season when we couldn't score more than 12 points against Tennessee. A rookie wide receiver in this years draft is not going to get us past Kansas City or Tennessee in the playoffs. The two superbowls the Ravens won had a Shannon Sharpe and an Anquin Bolden. Our window of opportunity for a superbowl won't stay open forever.
    Another receiver would be nice.

BUT.

I think we clearly had absolutely everything we needed to beat the Titans last year............we just lost our identity for that game.

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    I love Brown so far as I think he's just scratching the surface. Snead is Snead and hopefully Boykin will improve.

That being said, several WRs on the roster and practice squad showed a bunch of promise and made plays in training camp every day but haven't had any shot to see if they break out in real games. Jaleel Scott is my biggest example. We need a big possession guy and that's exactly what he is. There were several games where he could have come into real games late with big leads to see if he could be something. Not allowing him a chance will never give an answer to that question of whether he could help the team. Maybe he's better than Boykin or Roberts etc... but we'll never know unless given the chance.

Monster could be a great shifty solid guy with great hands and Wesley could show something.

I realize there are only so many reps and spots to go around, but there were plenty of times to have Scott active and give him some plays.

Any thoughts on this or is it just wishful thinking that one of our answers are already here. Plenty of players throughout the years in the league sat for a few years but shined when given the opportunity.
    Sounds like the 2013 stuff where people (and the staff/FO) went that route with guys that showed minimal production during games.

I'm not saying Scott or Boykin can't get there, but the odds are severely against Scott...there are very, very few NFL starting WR's that start their careers with 2 full seasons practically of being inactive, we've been through this many times before with low drafted WR's makings some plays in camp and becoming the fans great hope and then, nothing...and even Boykin...he certainly has talent, but he really needs to get with an WR coach this offseason when he's not with the team to learn all the intricacies/techniques on how to play WR at this level.

I don't think they need another star WR, but they do need more talent there IMHO and not put all their eggs in the Jaleel Scott/Boykin basket or we'll likely be in a 2013 scenario where we are frustrated none of the guys took the next step.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

I would have liked to see them give Scott more opportunities last year especially given they rotated the receivers all year long and nobody outside of Brown really stood out, and they also had ample time to play younger guys with how often they were up by multiple scores later in games. The guy was a 4th round pick, he should be able to contribute something, he wasn't some 7th round long shot like Tommy Streeter or Aaron Mellette.

Mostert, Wesley, guys like that are real long shots and I wouldn't count on them, but Scott should get more opportunity.

Having said that, I've been very vocal about where I think this WR group stands overall. It's not good enough, and people who think it is are only kidding themselves. Do we need the Julio Jones, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham type? Not necessarily. But they need more than they have right now. Otherwise I think their cap is where they ended up last year. Blitz through the regular season and get clamped down on in the playoffs when things get tighter because they only have one viable option outside.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Boykin and Brown will be the starters next year. Both hit 1,000 yards.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Boykin and Brown will be the starters next year. Both hit 1,000 yards.
    I'll be amazed if they hit 600 and 900 respectively. We'll have another 1,500 from our TEs and maybe another 500-700 from our Snead/drafted WR/RBs.

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    I'll be amazed if they hit 600 and 900 respectively. We'll have another 1,500 from our TEs and maybe another 500-700 from our Snead/drafted WR/RBs.
    I'm holding on to my faith.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    I love Brown so far as I think he's just scratching the surface. Snead is Snead and hopefully Boykin will improve.

That being said, several WRs on the roster and practice squad showed a bunch of promise and made plays in training camp every day but haven't had any shot to see if they break out in real games. Jaleel Scott is my biggest example. We need a big possession guy and that's exactly what he is. There were several games where he could have come into real games late with big leads to see if he could be something. Not allowing him a chance will never give an answer to that question of whether he could help the team. Maybe he's better than Boykin or Roberts etc... but we'll never know unless given the chance.

Monster could be a great shifty solid guy with great hands and Wesley could show something.

I realize there are only so many reps and spots to go around, but there were plenty of times to have Scott active and give him some plays.

Any thoughts on this or is it just wishful thinking that one of our answers are already here. Plenty of players throughout the years in the league sat for a few years but shined when given the opportunity.
    if they go WR in rounds 1 or 2 it will tell you everything you need to know about who they already have on the roster (Boykin)

Blog Entries

TBH I don't believe the current coaching staff is competent to either recognize or develop potential talent at WR. From Harbaugh all the way down. If they need an impact WR they're going to have to pay for a known quantity a la Sharpe or Boldin.

That may sound worse than it is. So long as the team identity is ground&pound, short passes to TEs, move the chains & eat clock to keep the D fresh & finish in the RZ, there's not much for a homerunhitting WR to do but block downfield (which most any receiver with home-run potential hates anyway). Don't care what the over/under would be on the number of weeks till the grumbling starts, I'd take the under.

IMO the Crows would get a lot more mileage out of a precise routerunner with reliable hands who can stick the out patterns & help Lamar grow into throwing them dependably - think Derrick Mason 2.0.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Quote Originally Posted by ninetysixer View Post
    if they go WR in rounds 1 or 2 it will tell you everything you need to know about who they already have on the roster (Boykin)
    Not necessarily. It would tell you that there are a lot of good receivers in this draft and we liked the value. It's a position we need to strengthen and this draft seems like a smart place to do it. There isn't a team in the league that wouldn't benefit from more talented receivers. Some teams just have bigger needs.