Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Besides a top tier add at reciever, should the coaches give some already on the roster a fair chance

TBH I don't believe the current coaching staff is competent to either recognize or develop potential talent at WR. From Harbaugh all the way down. If they need an impact WR they're going to have to pay for a known quantity a la Sharpe or Boldin.

That may sound worse than it is. So long as the team identity is ground&pound, short passes to TEs, move the chains & eat clock to keep the D fresh & finish in the RZ, there's not much for a homerunhitting WR to do but block downfield (which most any receiver with home-run potential hates anyway). Don't care what the over/under would be on the number of weeks till the grumbling starts, I'd take the under.

IMO the Crows would get a lot more mileage out of a precise routerunner with reliable hands who can stick the out patterns & help Lamar grow into throwing them dependably - think Derrick Mason 2.0.
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Re: Besides a top tier add at reciever, should the coaches give some already on the roster a fair chance

Quote Originally Posted by simplesimon View Post
    (I'm warming up to trading for Diggs).
    I think this is a bad move if you're talking about trading a first round pick (as has been proposed in other places). Diggs just signed a huge contract and brings a $14M cap hit with him. The Ravens could sign a top tier FA for that kind of money and keep their first round pick, or they could use the pick on one of the WRs in a deep draft class and save a ton of cap space to be used elsewhere. To me, both of those options are better than trading for Diggs.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    The Ravens could sign a top tier FA for that kind of money and keep their first round pick, or they could use the pick on one of the WRs in a deep draft class and save a ton of cap space to be used elsewhere. To me, both of those options are better than trading for Diggs.
    I like the second option better. If the draft is loaded with quality WRs and we have plenty of picks it just doesn't make sense to spend big money on the position.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    I like the second option better. If the draft is loaded with quality WRs and we have plenty of picks it just doesn't make sense to spend big money on the position.
    I'm with you QtR. I think (correct me if I'm wrong) the Ravens currently have 9 draft picks : Our 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (plus a 3rd round Comp Pick), three 4ths, a 5th and a 7th. If so, in a high quality/quantity WR draft, I'd rather spend a high pick on WR than spend mega-buck$ on a FA WR. Spend that money on upgrading our pass-rush instead... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    TBH I don't believe the current coaching staff is competent to either recognize or develop potential talent at WR. From Harbaugh all the way down. If they need an impact WR they're going to have to pay for a known quantity a la Sharpe or Boldin.

That may sound worse than it is. So long as the team identity is groundŁ, short passes to TEs, move the chains & eat clock to keep the D fresh & finish in the RZ, there's not much for a homerunhitting WR to do but block downfield (which most any receiver with home-run potential hates anyway). Don't care what the over/under would be on the number of weeks till the grumbling starts, I'd take the under.

IMO the Crows would get a lot more mileage out of a precise routerunner with reliable hands who can stick the out patterns & help Lamar grow into throwing them dependably - think Derrick Mason 2.0.
    I've thought they should have changed WR coaching a few years ago. I forgot his name but he moved to Tight End coach this past year. When looking at a common denominator for failure he kept coming up. That and not swinging at high picks enough.

The Perriman and Walker thing bothers me. These guys didn't seem to have the correct guidance to succeed here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    I've thought they should have changed WR coaching a few years ago. I forgot his name but he moved to Tight End coach this past year. When looking at a common denominator for failure he kept coming up. That and not swinging at high picks enough.

The Perriman and Walker thing bothers me. These guys didn't seem to have the correct guidance to succeed here.
    Booby Engram is who you are thinking of

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Booby Engram is who you are thinking of
    Shit, he lost a daughter I think. Didn't he want to leave for a standard pass offense?

8. Re: Besides a top tier add at reciever, should the coaches give some already on the roster a fair chance

Quote Originally Posted by simplesimon View Post
    If we don't get a top tier wide receiver (I'm warming up to trading for Diggs), we're going to be sitting frustrated like we did this post season when we couldn't score more than 12 points against Tennessee. A rookie wide receiver in this years draft is not going to get us past Kansas City or Tennessee in the playoffs. The two superbowls the Ravens won had a Shannon Sharpe and an Anquin Bolden. Our window of opportunity for a superbowl won't stay open forever.
    The Ravens went 14-2 in the regular season, and then the playoffs came and the Ravens decided to pass instead of doing what they were so great at.

If the Ravens simply continued to run, and acted like a normal team (when you're the better team, continue to do what got you there, but with a bit more conservative, winning 3 out of 4 games in not good enough in the playoffs, etc) they would've run.

Lamar threw the ball to Mark Andrews somewhere around 6 inches too high. If Lamar had thrown the ball 6 inches lower, it wouldn't have bounced off of Mark Andrews hands and get intercepted. Better yet, run the ball and there would've been no int.

You seem to want more passes, more chances of interceptions, when the Ravens were last year, and should be again, the best running team in NFL history. The problem wasn't the pass game, it was the fact that the Ravens passed, riskily, when they didn't have to, and went for it on 4th down, riskily, when they didn't have to. Adding another expensive "I need the ball" WR is going to tend to push the Ravens away from where they are the best, running.

9. Re: Besides a top tier add at reciever, should the coaches give some already on the roster a fair chance

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I would have liked to see them give Scott more opportunities last year especially given they rotated the receivers all year long and nobody outside of Brown really stood out, and they also had ample time to play younger guys with how often they were up by multiple scores later in games. The guy was a 4th round pick, he should be able to contribute something, he wasn't some 7th round long shot like Tommy Streeter or Aaron Mellette.

Mostert, Wesley, guys like that are real long shots and I wouldn't count on them, but Scott should get more opportunity.

Having said that, I've been very vocal about where I think this WR group stands overall. It's not good enough, and people who think it is are only kidding themselves. Do we need the Julio Jones, Mike Evans, Odell Beckham type? Not necessarily. But they need more than they have right now. Otherwise I think their cap is where they ended up last year. Blitz through the regular season and get clamped down on in the playoffs when things get tighter because they only have one viable option outside.
    1) the ball went off of Mark Andrews fingers, thrown a tiny bit high. INT. I'm not sure how a different WR would've solved that problem. Just a tiny bit high. And, if it was a run, it would've have happened.

2) Lamar dropped back to pass, was sacked and fumbled. Again, a different WR wouldn't have solved that, but if that was a run play, that wouldn't' have happened.

3+4) going for it on 4th down, unnecessarily. If it was a punt, no problem, a different WR wouldn't have solved that.

The Ravens were the best running team in NFL history and if they just continued doing that in the playoffs, they would've won. No expensive WR is going to help, a more "balanced" team just means a more generic team, a team easier for defenses to stop.

Lets say the Ravens should add a new WR 4, 5 or 6, cheaply, day 3. I'd want that "WR" to be able to carry the ball outside. Hollywood Brown might be someone the Ravens might have doing that, but he's not the most solidly built, he's probably best used as a WR who mostly runs routes. Maybe this new WR 4+ could be a replace for De'Anthony Thomas? Perhaps this WR 4+ is also a backup QB? Perry, Bowden, Tate? Typical starting lineup being QB, RB, TE, TE/FB, WR, WR. The Ravens have 4 good ones at TE/WR. And they have at least 3 good ones currently at WR. Snead signed. Rookies Brown and Boykin getting at least a little better and maybe Boykin gets significantly better. I would think that Snead, Brown and Boykin would be taking 75%+ of the WR snaps and fill in with college running QBs who played some WR in college, Perry, Bowden, Tate.

I bought a used smartphone with a broken glass screen. New a few years ago it was a $800 phone. I bought it for $32. The screen still works, but I could put $10 into it, fill in the missing chunks of glass with LOCA UV glue and add a screen protector. I could also spend $100+ to get a new screen put in by pros. Not going to do that. Too expensive.

The Ravens have a perfectly functioning offense. There are a couple of tiny chunks missing that could be filled in cheaply with a day 3 college running QB like Malcolm "LOCA" Perry or Lynn "UV Glue" Bowden. No expensive "replace screen" WR is needed. Spend on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    TBH I don't believe the current coaching staff is competent to either recognize or develop potential talent at WR. From Harbaugh all the way down.
    You're talking about the old days, before Harbs poached David Culley last offseason.

This is. Deep wr class but if any of the Bama wr fall down to us I’m taking them. Each is a different set of skills but each could quickly do what Hollywood did last year.

In expect Hollywood to step up in his second year and hit 1,000 yards, Boykin should increase to 450-500 yards. Andrews and the inter TE should be 1500 yards combined. Snead 350 yards and 5td. If a rookie has the production if Hollywood from last year, 575 yards and 7td I’d be thrilled. You are looking at 4,000 yards plus passing when you add in the rb.

So if a Bama wr drops down get him, if not grab one in the second or third round. After that draft defense all you want with maybe a late o lineman.

Every year we think our practice squad will be the wr holy grail