Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Besides a top tier add at reciever, should the coaches give some already on the roster a fair chance

I love Brown so far as I think he's just scratching the surface. Snead is Snead and hopefully Boykin will improve.

That being said, several WRs on the roster and practice squad showed a bunch of promise and made plays in training camp every day but haven't had any shot to see if they break out in real games. Jaleel Scott is my biggest example. We need a big possession guy and that's exactly what he is. There were several games where he could have come into real games late with big leads to see if he could be something. Not allowing him a chance will never give an answer to that question of whether he could help the team. Maybe he's better than Boykin or Roberts etc... but we'll never know unless given the chance.

Monster could be a great shifty solid guy with great hands and Wesley could show something.

I realize there are only so many reps and spots to go around, but there were plenty of times to have Scott active and give him some plays.

Any thoughts on this or is it just wishful thinking that one of our answers are already here. Plenty of players throughout the years in the league sat for a few years but shined when given the opportunity.

Re: Besides a top tier add at reciever, should the coaches give some already on the roster a fair chance

They are in practice every day. The staff knows what they have. All indications it's Meehhhh

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Re: Besides a top tier add at reciever, should the coaches give some already on the roster a fair chance

They should give Hurst a fair chance

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

4. Re: Besides a top tier add at reciever, should the coaches give some already on the roster a fair chance

I don't think the Ravens should make a top tier add at WR.

Top tier anything tends to be expensive.

Top tier WRs often whine and complain for the ball, and when they don't get it, they sulk and cause troubles.

The Ravens are a run team. I'd bet this year they're going to put 4 back on the field at the same time and 2 ends on the field at the same time.

They have Lamar, one of the backs, who I'd expect to get a lot of snaps at the QB position. They have 2 very good RBs, Ingram and Edwards, with Hill likely to improve, at the RB spot.
    They have 4 big TEs or FBs, who are all very good, 2 spots on the field for them, typically, and I'd like to see them on the field. So, you have 4 of the 6 spots pretty much covered with QB, RB, TE and TE/FB. 2 spots on the field for WR. Ravens, have, signed already and ready to go, Hollywood, Boykin and Snead. I'm going to assume that Snead stays solid and that Hollywood and Boykin improve. I'd think that the WR group should include a new situational role player and/or special teams player and/or versatile weapon, etc. But I don't really see adding a WR who is intended to get a lot of snaps. I'd think that Hollywood and Boykin should be getting more snaps. Seth Roberts got about half the snaps. I'd guess that the Ravens should get a role player who gets about 30% of the snaps. Hollywood might go from 50 to 60% or more. Boykin from 40 to 50% or more. If they keep Roberts, which I have no idea about, he'd likely lose snaps to Hollywood and/or Boykin, and go from 50 to 30.

I don't want to see the TE/FB spots losing snaps to another WR. I'd like to see the very good TE/FBs getting more snaps, not fewer.

The Ravens should be making sure that the defense remains solid, and if they let a good front 7 guy leave, they'll need to replace that guy with someone good or a draft pick.

It's a good thing the chiefs didnt listen to you 🤦*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    I'm for that before the others. 250 and hitting over 19 mph with great hands is rare

Maybe someone like Jaleel isn't a good fit with Lamar because it seems like he prefers targeting guys who can get separation, like Andrews and Brown. He only seemed to target more covered receivers on broken plays and without any other options.

Maybe that means we'd be better of targeting a faster receiver in the draft rather than one of those contested catch/ possession guys.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    As my friend Ort :

Hurst was developing chemistry with LJ8 in 2018 Training Camp, until the injury bug hit him. It does take time to heal and start anew. Hurst was starting to show that in 2019. I'd luv to see what dual (Andrews and Hurst) TEs can do in 2020... Bc

P.S. - from the OP "Monster could be a great shifty solid guy with great hands and Wesley could show something."
    LOL BearArms, it's Sean Modster.

I know folks say well the coaches see him in practice, and he must not be any good in practice or he would play more. Problem is that practice in the NFL is no longer similar to games. The CBA took away how practice used to be. Some guys are gamers and don't practice as well and turn it on in games. We don't really know what the deal is with Jaleel Scott. I think it was absolutely criminal that he didn't get time in these blowout games last year in which there were a lot.

And frankly I'm not 100% confident in Harbaugh's judgement on player's playing time especially at WR.

I'm not a Harbaugh hater but we have had some players that didnt get much of an oppurtunity here or were not as good here and have gone elsewhere and played better lately (used to be total opposite, they were good here went somewhere else and were terrible IE Ed Hartwell).

So i cant just assume that a guy like Scott sucks when he doesn't get playing time. He may well suck but I want to be able to judge a guy based off of in game

Quote Originally Posted by Ravensforce83 View Post
    I know folks say well the coaches see him in practice, and he must not be any good in practice or he would play more. Problem is that practice in the NFL is no longer similar to games. The CBA took away how practice used to be. Some guys are gamers and don't practice as well and turn it on in games. [B]We don't really know what the deal is with Jaleel Scott.[B] I think it was absolutely criminal that he didn't get time in these blowout games last year in which there were a lot.

[B]And frankly I'm not 100% confident in Harbaugh's judgement on player's playing time especially at WR.[B]

I'm not a Harbaugh hater but we have had some players that didnt get much of an oppurtunity here or were not as good here and have gone elsewhere and played better lately (used to be total opposite, they were good here went somewhere else and were terrible IE Ed Hartwell).

So i cant just assume that a guy like Scott sucks when he doesn't get playing time. He may well suck but I want to be able to judge a guy based off of in game
    Good post. I get the impression that Harbaugh pigeon-holes WRs early and leaves it at that. We seem to give vets preferences over draftees, and high picks over lower ones, and short shrift to UDFAs. When Marty was OC, we seemed to have 12-15 WRs in camp. I had the impression that they were afraid to evaluate and went with the "safe" evaluation, i.e. "I can't be criticized for going with the guy we invested more in".

Tim White looked very good as a WR over a number of months but was made to earn his roster place by being a good returner. Unfortunately, he was a better receiver than returner and EDC lost him off the practice squad. The Jets picked him up. They don't have particularly good receivers but White was forced to take throws from backup QBs who don't deserve to be in the league (and now aren't), and to earn his roster spot by winning the returner job. Well, he's not a great returner, so he was cut. Now, White has been signed by New Orleans to their practice squad. We'll see if he gets a chance through injuries to others; at least he is in a good organization. If we run low on receivers during 2020, I would steal White for our 6th receiver spot.

Chris Moore improved in 2017 and looked really good in 2018, but it is clear Harbaugh does not want him to be a receiver with the Ravens. Over several years, Moore has not gotten the targets he earned. Why did Moore take a back seat to Scott and Lasley - and Perriman? Because those fucking three can't play on the sacred ST! Now, we have Marquise, Boykin and a high draft choice coming, probably, who will be getting the targets (and deservedly so). So, if Moore stays with the Ravens, it will be as a quality STer and emergency WR.

The fact is, receivers need a lot of targets and practice and game experience, and if you have too many, you are forced to concentrate on a few and let the others slide. And our OCs seem to have avoided making an evaluation based on talent, rather than rank.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

they will all get their chances in the pre-season. any WR hoping to make the team would be wise to track down a special teams guy and work on that in the offseason (not just returning but coverage and blocking), cause our coverage and return teams were a big weakness last season. with the run game and TEs being such an important part of the offense, i wouldn't be surprised if the easiest way for a #5+ WR to make the team is to stand out on ST. also, and this is speculation on my part from watching lots of football, but i would imagine that the skillset you work on for special teams probably translates well to being a downfield blocker on offense. as important as downfield blocking was for this team, somebody could carve out a roster spot for themselves just with excellent ST and downfield blocking on offense.

Blog Entries

I don't think they need a top-tier add at WR, and I wouldn't want to add one when it's iffy at this point whether one would be utilized enough to make him worth it.

Edge rush, D-line, and LB ought to be the focus for free agency.

In the draft, BPA.