Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Re: Trading our first round pick?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    The team has 21 free agents and 9 draft picks. It's not like everyone who was on the team last year is returning. These picks are extremely valuable.

Player Position
    Jimmy Smith CB
    Michael Pierce DT
    Patrick Onwuasor ILB
    Seth Roberts WR
    Domata Peko DT
    Anthony Levine S
    Pernell McPhee OLB
    Josh Bynes ILB
    Brynden Trawick S
    Justin Ellis DE
    De’Anthony Thomas WR
    Jordan Richards S
    Chris Moore WR
    Jihad Ward DE
    Hroniss Grasu C
    Matthew Judon OLB
    You're out of date my man

I'm expecting Bynes, McPhee and Trawick out of the guys they didn't already re-sign

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    The team has 21 free agents and 9 draft picks. It's not like everyone who was on the team last year is returning. These picks are extremely valuable.

Player Position
    Jimmy Smith CB
    Michael Pierce DT
    Patrick Onwuasor ILB
    Seth Roberts WR
    Domata Peko DT
    Anthony Levine S
    Pernell McPhee OLB
    Josh Bynes ILB
    Brynden Trawick S
    Justin Ellis DE
    De’Anthony Thomas WR
    Jordan Richards S
    Chris Moore WR
    Jihad Ward DE
    Hroniss Grasu C
    Matthew Judon OLB
    Out of 16 players on that list, only 4 players were drafted by the Ravens (Smith, McPhee, Moore and Judon). Just as many, Bynes, Ownuasor, Trawick and Pierce, were UFA. Roberts, Ward, Richards, Peko, Ellis, Grasu, D'A Thomas... cut and picked off the streets by EDC. From that list only Judon and Jimmy if he managed to stay healthy are must-resign if we had the cap space (we probably don't if we want to make another move)

Picks are valuable yes, extremely is pushing it a bit. For a team in rebuild mode or with no cap space, sure, but for us? I'd say more as ammo to trade up than anything.

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    But if Kyle Boller had turned out to be what we hoped — and what many of our scouts thought, i.e. the second coming of John Elway — no one would give that sacrifice a second thought.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    But he didn't...and that's the thing, the player any one of us that are hot and bothered about being a stud could just as easily be a bust. And then you are out of high future draft picks pretty much for nothing.

I remember my favorite team trading their future #1 twice...first was before the Ravens got here, I was a 49ers fan and I remember the JJ Stokes trade up like it was yesterday...ironically, when the Ravens got here, that future first the 49ers traded became Ray Lewis.

Second of course was the bad Kyle Boller trade...and that pick we gave up the following year became Wilfork.

It has worked out at times, but IMHO, the odds are against you getting that game changing player by trading up and giving up future #1's +. IMHO, for us, there's only one player I would consider a trade like that for and it's Chase Young. And even for him, we'd have to give more than just 1 future first round pick to get that high which makes it not worth it anymore to me.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    Out of 16 players on that list, only 4 players were drafted by the Ravens (Smith, McPhee, Moore and Judon). Just as many, Bynes, Ownuasor, Trawick and Pierce, were UFA. Roberts, Ward, Richards, Peko, Ellis, Grasu, D'A Thomas... cut and picked off the streets by EDC. From that list only Judon and Jimmy if he managed to stay healthy are must-resign if we had the cap space (we probably don't if we want to make another move)

Picks are valuable yes, extremely is pushing it a bit. For a team in rebuild mode or with no cap space, sure, but for us? I'd say more as ammo to trade up than anything.
    I'll bet EDC disagrees with you. Time will tell

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    Who is this can't miss player, presumably in the front 7, that we're going to trade up for?

I mean, I wish he existed but all the guys widely considered sure things are out of our range, even to trade for. Whoever we pick would be somewhat of a gamble, which would be fine if we just stick and pick, but too expensive if we've thrown our first 2 picks and more at it. (Obviously if someone we really like drops unexpectedly it would be different.)

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Who is this can't miss player, presumably in the front 7, that we're going to trade up for?

I mean, I wish he existed but all the guys widely considered sure things are out of our range, even to trade for. Whoever we pick would be somewhat of a gamble, which would be fine if we just stick and pick, but too expensive if we've thrown our first 2 picks and more at it. (Obviously if someone we really like drops unexpectedly it would be different.)
    It will always be a crap shoot. Less of a crap shoot trading up, in theory, but a crap shoot nonetheless. My point was, looking specifically at Ravenswintitle's chart, that the majority of those free agents were not even drafted in the first place and/or signed off the streets after being cut. They are mostly depth, and that can be found outside the Draft. We don't need 9 picks for that. We do need to make sure (or as sure as we can be) that we get our guys, trading up a bit if necessary, and obviously if a Kinlaw or a Ruggs III falls around the 20-24 bracket, for example, I trade up even if it means losing a third or a coupe of fourths. Nobody is talking (or I'm not) about Young or Simmons, those are gone Top5 and top 10 at most, and I'm not giving up this years' R1 & R2 on top of next years' R1 (and more) to move that high.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    But he didn't...and that's the thing, the player any one of us that are hot and bothered about being a stud could just as easily be a bust. And then you are out of high future draft picks pretty much for nothing.

I remember my favorite team trading their future #1 twice...first was before the Ravens got here, I was a 49ers fan and I remember the JJ Stokes trade up like it was yesterday...ironically, when the Ravens got here, that future first the 49ers traded became Ray Lewis.

Second of course was the bad Kyle Boller trade...and that pick we gave up the following year became Wilfork.

It has worked out at times, but IMHO, the odds are against you getting that game changing player by trading up and giving up future #1's +. IMHO, for us, there's only one player I would consider a trade like that for and it's Chase Young. And even for him, we'd have to give more than just 1 future first round pick to get that high which makes it not worth it anymore to me.
    I'm not lobbying for doing it. I'm just saying I wouldn't rule it out, and I don't think EDC is ruling it out. But I wouldn't think it would happen this year.

The reason you do it is where you have a big need at a high-profile position (CB, QB, pass rush, LT.) If you have an opportunity to get a player that you have rated higher than anyone you would be able to get in the first round the following year, then it makes sense.

This is what happened in the Boller situation. The only problem was that the scouts had actually rated Boller higher than any of the potential QBs who were coming out the following year. You know, those weak-assed prospects Eli Manning, Phillip Rivers, and Ben Roethlisberger.
    "Chin up, chest out."