Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Trading our first round pick?

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    Do you think it wise to move up a few spots? I see what you mean. it comes close with mocks but it seems we're a tad too far back for the guys who show the most promise to be immediate impact players.

If one Decosta and the team have high on their board is within striking range we could see them trade up. He doesn't operate like Ozzy and knows you need several game changing players instead of a larger amount of JAG picks
    BA, sorry to reply for QtR Nevermore, but IMO I hope DeCosta does trade up (if there's a player the Ravens have highly rated). We don't need a bevy of draftees with our current 2020 roster. If we're going to add players then let them be of the highest quality our scouts can assess. Of course if someone "falls" to #28 then nab him. I just don't see a trade down unless some team knocks our socks off with an offer we can't refuse. I simply do not see that happening for the #28 pick though... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    Yea id rather draft Shaquille Quarterman in later rounds. have him as your 1st second down linebacker then take him out for Clark or Elliott in sub packages. Then go after a guy like Micah Parsons from PSU next year!
    That would be great if they could grab Parsons next year

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

One of the factors that no one's mentioning is how good the FO might be at recognizing talent that might take a year or two to develop and whether they have the necessary talent (in terms of position coaches) to in fact develop it. Historically the Ravens have for the most part had success in finding hidden jewels in LBs, but OTOH have rarely had a WR draftee (even one taken in the first round) live up to his potential here (I'm looking at you, Breshad Perriman!)

The FO needs to be brutally honest with itself as far as its ability to develop talent. It might turn out that for certain positions/skill sets they'd be better off looking for a veteran of proven ability (& limitations) than trying to get luck in the draft. Kind of like that old beisbol saying that you buy the bats but grow the arms...?
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Sorry, not for me. I'd rather stay @ #28 and get the BPA, especially if he's a pass-rusher, ILB, WR, or even IOL. We're on the cusp of something special here, even with the two playoff one-and-dones, so why not go for a top-notch player who's available when our turn to choose comes? It's not as if we don't have enough draft picks and are in need of more. Plus, and I'm no expert, I think we've got a couple of Comp picks who can now be traded, coming too. I'd rather trade up some to get the cream of what's left than get more 2nd rate players. JMO... Bc
    As usual, I agree with Bc (old farts stick together). Seriously, we have immediate needs at EDGE, OLB, ILB, and short-term needs at WR, IOL. Let's maintain the momentum and add best talent available NOW.
    Not much really matters, and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    As usual, I agree with Bc (old farts stick together). Seriously, we have immediate needs at EDGE, OLB, ILB, and short-term needs at WR, IOL. Let's maintain the momentum and add best talent available NOW.
    Agreed. I'd hate to see us trading for future picks when we're in the Superbowl window now but the draft's always a gamble. If we're down to "2nd round players" by 28 it might be better to get 2 lottery tickets rather than 1 in the hope that we find a winner.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    Agreed. I'd hate to see us trading for future picks when we're in the Superbowl window now but the draft's always a gamble. If we're down to "2nd round players" by 28 it might be better to get 2 lottery tickets rather than 1 in the hope that we find a winner.
    Sure QtR, but if a player the Ravens covet falls into the 20's, then my philosophy would be to trade up (using our #1 plus a couple of lower round picks if necessary). Bad teams need many players to help, but our Ravens (IMO) are just a few away from perhaps great things happening. This is our time to excel, before LJ8's next contract, so "go for the gold"... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Sure QtR, but if a player the Ravens covet falls into the 20's, then my philosophy would be to trade up (using our #1 plus a couple of lower round picks if necessary). Bad teams need many players to help, but our Ravens (IMO) are just a few away from perhaps great things happening. This is our time to excel, before LJ8's next contract, so "go for the gold"... Bc
    I'd be happy with a trade up for a good defensive player too. (We probably couldn't afford to trade up for offense because we have some defensive needs that we almost have to target early -ish.)

In the middle of the season I'd have agreed with you that we only need a few players but the list grew as the season went on.

I reckon we need -
    3 DLine or Edge players, WR, Inside Linebacker, Centre (given Skura's injury), Guard (if Yanda retires) and a young Safety.

Some can be late round picks/ UDFAs and some from free agency but, given those needs, I wouldn't want to trade away middle round picks for a player that wouldn't help the pass rush.

Quote Originally Posted by BearArms View Post
    Do you think it wise to move up a few spots? I see what you mean. it comes close with mocks but it seems we're a tad too far back for the guys who show the most promise to be immediate impact players.

If one Decosta and the team have high on their board is within striking range we could see them trade up. He doesn't operate like Ozzy and knows you need several game changing players instead of a larger amount of JAG picks
    I agree with your first paragraph. But you are wrong about Ozzie - he was willing to move up to try to get impact players, e.g. Arthur Brown in 2013, which was widely praised at the time, in 2015 with Maxx Williams, who everybody thought was the best TE in the draft, and Lamar Jackson, in case you have forgotten.

I think it more likely that there is someone in the #35-#50 range we would really covet to the point of moving up for it.
    Last edited by rhapsody; 02-09-2020 at 10:53 AM.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Without seeing how the draft falls it's very hard to specify what round in which I'd like to see the Ravens most active in moving around.

But in general I think the emphasis should be on quality over quantity. I'd rather have a smaller numbers of very good players than a larger number of average players.

We need a few guys who can contribute sooner rather than later, and have a decent chance to be starters, in order to maximize our odds in this window of Lamar's rookie contract. If we therefore get fewer players, so be it.

Of course it's still open for debate which is likely to get that one "good" player. Is it:

1. One "high" draft pick, or
    2. Two lower draft picks, but now you've got two chances to get it "right" instead of one

And that question is hard to answer in the abstract. We have to see specific scenarios on draft day.

agree with BCRaven.
    tired of all these decent midround finds. I want an impact player, preferably a pass rusher.
    not going to get many Watts or Bosas in the third-fourth round.
    "Nothing stops these Baltimore Ravens. Beat them, injure them, shove them to the bottom of the standings, drag them into a hostile environment and mount a big lead, and they just keep trudging forward like nothing fazes them." (Bleacher Report)

11. Re: Trading our first round pick?

I get that windows of opportunity like Lamar on a rookie contract are, by nature, very small; but I feel like the Flock has been conditioned to treat trade-backs (especially from the first round) like broccoli with a side of lima beans. Honestly, I think that's got more to do with our fairly appalling recent history of second- and third-round busts.

Hindsight is 20:20, I know. But if we can parlay a trade back into MORE shots at the JuJu Smith-Schusters of the world than, say, the Terrance Brooks', I'd be all for a trade back. Especially considering the depth of this class. It remains to be seen if EDC can turn around the aforementioned disturbing trend, though. I'm guardedly optimistic...

Quote Originally Posted by sailorsam View Post
    not going to get many Watts or Bosas in the third-fourth round.
    Or at 28.
    All the pass rushers from last years draft who made an impact went in the top 16, except for Maxx Crosby who went in the 4th. We might find ourselves looking for that guy this year.