Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Trading our first round pick?

Its well known the Ravens like to trade back and accumulate picks. While this year could be a perfect example of that. I was thinking if a QB falls and a team who may have passed on a QB with their earlier pick (Lions, Chargers, Panthers etc) wants to trade up. Would you rather trade for their second rounder (if available) or would you rather trade for their first round pick next year.

Personally I would rather have next years first round pick.....

Thoughts???

Blog Entries

Re: Trading our first round pick?

It all depends on how far they have to move up. Both the Chargers and Dolphins are picking pretty high in the 2nd round. They are going to give up as much as a team like the Titans who are picking near the bottom of the 2nd round. The further back you move the more you're going to ask for

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post
    Its well known the Ravens like to trade back and accumulate picks. While this year could be a perfect example of that. I was thinking if a QB falls and a team who may have passed on a QB with their earlier pick (Lions, Chargers, Panthers etc) wants to trade up. Would you rather trade for their second rounder (if available) or would you rather trade for their first round pick next year.

Thoughts???

I personally think the days of trading back out of round 1 completely are behind us. I think Decosta tends to make a selection he knows how important and the impact needed from a 1st rounder.

During ozzie tenure there was a number of 2nd round really bad choices.

The only trade you ever make to move completely out would be to re coupe that teams 1st the next year and thats in antipcation like Ozzie did when we got Jamal Lewis. I think it was 1999 Ravens 2nd rounder for the Falcons 2000 1st rounder where we got Jamal.

Blog Entries

I can't see a team giving up next years 1st round pick if they already passed on that QB in this year's 1st round. With that said, these questions are hard to answer until we know who's available at the Ravens pick. But to strictly answer your question, I'll take next year's #1.

In general, no, I wouldn't want to trade our first but I've been doing a few of the mock draft simulators and the best players at our positions of need are usually gone by 28. There are a lot of players worth gambling on in rounds 2 and 3 so I wouldn't mind having 2 picks in each of those rounds rather than either over drafting someone or picking someone in a postion that wouldn't really help us next year, not when we're in a Superbowl window right now.

Cool Re: Trading our first round pick?

Quote Originally Posted by jhoff66 View Post

Thoughts???
    Actually, if the Colts come calling I'd definitely consider it. They have two 2nd rounders (with the first being pick 36 I think). I'd ask for the 36th pick and their 2nd rounder for 2021 (sort of what we gave up) to get Lamar.

I think that would be a fair trade.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    I can't see a team giving up next years 1st round pick if they already passed on that QB in this year's 1st round. With that said, these questions are hard to answer until we know who's available at the Ravens pick. But to strictly answer your question, I'll take next year's #1.
    This is how I feel about it as well.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

It's way too early, but in general if there's a solid player @ #28, especially in an area of need, then nab him. There's the added benefit of a 5th year option on a 1st round pick. IMO our Ravens are close to a playoff break-thru so I'd rather have one top-notch player than two lesser ones... Bc

I would entertain it. Def would want a Second + this year. We need to get younger/faster in our front 7 on D. Lots of early round talent this year. Maybe not a sure fire #1 rounder but still talent. Like another poster I’ve done a few mocks and traded out a few times and got some very good guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

If we trade the 1st round pick for a team to draft a QB the compensation will be more then a 2nd round pick.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    I personally think the days of trading back out of round 1 completely are behind us. I think Decosta tends to make a selection he knows how important and the impact needed from a 1st rounder.
    It depends on value. The distinction between rounds is actually completely arbitrary. One guy is a first rounder, another is a second rounder. But if we’re talking about pick #32 vs pick #33, there is no more difference than pick #31 vs pick #32.

EDC often talked about draft strategy after the draft, and I don’t expect it to change. If there are five guys with almost equal grades sitting there for us at #28, and he has the opportunity to trade down to the early second round, he’ll do it. And he should. It’s like getting free picks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    If we trade the 1st round pick for a team to draft a QB the compensation will be more then a 2nd round pick.
    Yup I think you get a 2nd and maybe a 4th or 5th as well, I'd consider that depending on who was on the board

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!