Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Andre Smith re-signed for one more year.

Quote Originally Posted by BHSU View Post
    He's a very good run blocker. I wouldn't be surprised if we are trying to get him involved in power packages
    Doesn't really help us though.

He would have to be one of the game-day active linemen. And you're only going to activate one swing T backup and one iOL backup, that means he would be the backup for the game at both right and left tackle.

And as others have pointed out, the idea of him playing game snaps in pass pro is horrifying.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Doesn't really help us though.

He would have to be one of the game-day active linemen. And you're only going to activate one swing T backup and one iOL backup, that means he would be the backup for the game at both right and left tackle.

And as others have pointed out, the idea of him playing game snaps in pass pro is horrifying.
    Which is why they may move him to guard (as a backup) with the possibility of Yanda retiring. better to have a backup plan if that were to happen then nothing.

3. Re: Andre Smith re-signed for one more year.

Quote Originally Posted by BHSU View Post
    He's a very good run blocker. I wouldn't be surprised if we are trying to get him involved in power packages
    That sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    When has Andre Smith ever been in shape? That meme of his man boobs flopping around when he was trying to run I'm sure is still out there.

Just because a couple of Hall of Fame players were able to play at a high level in their mid-30's doesn't mean a guy who has never been in shape and played poorly in recent years can do the same thing.
    No it doesn't. But you don't have to be a HOF player to still be in the NFL at 34, either. So the point is neither here nor there.

It's news to me that being out of shape has been his issue as a pro. Yes, we all know he experienced the exact same embarrassment Orlando Brown was prior to the draft, but I don't recall it being an issue since. What has been an issue is injuries.

He broke a bone in his foot twice coming into the league, and that held him out the first two years. Then he played well as a run blocker for a string of seasons. He starting missing games in '14-'15 again because of concussions. After the Vikings signed him in '16 he tore a triceps. Then it was a knee injury in '17 and an elbow that kept him out in '18.

Someone will respond to this by saying he was injured all the time because he was out of shape. That would be pure speculation, and I'm hard pressed to conclude that foot, head, and knee injuries are a result of being out of shape.

In between those rehabs, teams signed him. My assumption is that because he shows talent as a run blocker when he's physically able to play. My assumption is the Ravens evaluators are not Morons and there is at least a chance he can contribute.

We'll see if he's ready to play, but I think labelling him as chronically out of shape while referencing an 11 year old video is a tad unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    LOL, do you mean he's not older than Pierce, and can get into Pro football playing shape "in a few days", then still can earn a $70MM contract? Yeah sure... A.S. will be playing for his professional life/career in 2020... Bc
    What I really mean is I don't get my jollies by mocking guys trying to get in shape, and I don't hang those labels on them for the rest of their careers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    No it doesn't. But you don't have to be a HOF player to still be in the NFL at 34, either. So the point is neither here nor there.

It's news to me that being out of shape has been his issue as a pro. Yes, we all know he experienced the exact same embarrassment Orlando Brown was prior to the draft, but I don't recall it being an issue since. What has been an issue is injuries.

He broke a bone in his foot twice coming into the league, and that held him out the first two years. Then he played well as a run blocker for a string of seasons. He starting missing games in '14-'15 again because of concussions. After the Vikings signed him in '16 he tore a triceps. Then it was a knee injury in '17 and an elbow that kept him out in '18.

Someone will respond to this by saying he was injured all the time because he was out of shape. That would be pure speculation, and I'm hard pressed to conclude that foot, head, and knee injuries are a result of being out of shape.

In between those rehabs, teams signed him. My assumption is that because he shows talent as a run blocker when he's physically able to play. My assumption is the Ravens evaluators are not Morons and there is at least a chance he can contribute.

We'll see if he's ready to play, but I think labelling him as chronically out of shape while referencing an 11 year old video is a tad unfair.
    Go ask any Bengals fan about Andre Smith. See what those who have seen him game in and game out for years have to say.

Its unlikely that:

a)Smith makes the team. He's likely an injury insurance policy.

b) Hurst gets cut. Ravens love versatile O-lineman, and Hurst played well last year. He still remains the only player on the team semi-capable of playing LT if Ronnie gets hurt.

c) Michael Pierce gets $70m in free agency. He will get a lot closer to 35 than 70.

Early camp fodder.

Nothing to see here.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Cheap move, but prudent. Right now we have Hurst and potentially Merkari as depth at Tackle. With Skura's injury being more complex and a long rehab, I am not sure he will even be ready to play until October... With that said, Smith can also move inside if we lose other players or depth for any reason. Of all the young players, the coaching staff is eager to see the progression of Ben Powers. Again, good depth and learning behind Yanda, while getting coached by D'Allesandris will bode well for him. This forum is tough and was tough on Skura and Bozeman. But, as long at LJ is the QB it will be tough to truly evaluate the quality of the O'Line for the simple fact is their blocking responsibilities are like no other team in the NFL

Now we know why they felt motivated to bring Smith back.

Still don't see Smith playing a snap for this team, even with the Hurst suspension. Smith is a solid move for purely insurance reasons, but I have a hard time seeing him ever playing a down with how poorly he's played in recent years. I'd think a late round flyer on a swing T would be a better option, and that's something I expected us to draft even before the Hurst suspension.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Now we know why they felt motivated to bring Smith back.
    True. They must have known this was happening and planned accordingly