Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
Results 37 to 48 of 49

Thread: SOTU

  1. #37

    Re: SOTU

    Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    Its pretty simple. I don't like people saying douchy and needlessly racially divisive things in that context. I don't care if it's Jamele Hill or Rush Limbaugh. I don't care to have those type of issues interjected into my sports entertainment. It's not complicated man.
    I don't want politics/sports meshed together either.

    The problem is...ESPN shouldn't have invited a political pundit to be on their TV show. Of course he's going to bring political context to his opinion. As for Hill... She's a sports pundit who couldn't stop pushing her own political beliefs. Slightly different situation as far as comparison's go.





  2. #38

    Re: SOTU

    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    I don't want politics/sports meshed together either.

    The problem is...ESPN shouldn't have invited a political pundit to be on their TV show. Of course he's going to bring political context to his opinion. As for Hill... She's a sports pundit who couldn't stop pushing her own political beliefs. Slightly different situation as far as comparison's go.
    How is what he said about McNabb political context? Real question, I'm not seeing it.





  3. #39
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    14,838

    Re: SOTU

    Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    How is what he said about McNabb political context? Real question, I'm not seeing it.
    Rush's whole thing since he has been around is about the media and what they're trying to accomplish politically by first doing it socially.

    I think this would fall into that. Whether you agree with what he said or not is another thing.
    "Don't let your happiness depend on something you may lose." - C.S. Lewis





  4. #40

    Re: SOTU

    Quote Originally Posted by cjandrze View Post
    How is what he said about McNabb political context? Real question, I'm not seeing it.
    I don't know exactly what he said and don't care to look it up, but...wasn't it about McNabb being pushed as a good QB by the media when he wasn't? Calling out the media is very political in context...especially for Rush...and that type of commentary doesn't belong on a sports program, IMO. The audience doesn't care. ESPN shouldn't have tried to marry the 2 worlds together then...and they shouldn't now.





  5. #41
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    14,838

    Re: SOTU

    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmaniac4life View Post
    I don't know exactly what he said and don't care to look it up, but...wasn't it about McNabb being pushed as a good QB by the media when he wasn't? Calling out the media is very political in context...especially for Rush...and that type of commentary doesn't belong on a sports program, IMO. The audience doesn't care. ESPN shouldn't have tried to marry the 2 worlds together then...and they shouldn't now.
    I just watched it. He said Mcnabb was not regressing, he was never that good, that he was being pushed by the NFL/media cause they were worried about the social aspect and desire a black QB do well.
    "Don't let your happiness depend on something you may lose." - C.S. Lewis





  6. #42

    Re: SOTU

    Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    You're getting hung up on one thing I said. It was just a harsh, unnecessary and pointlessly divisive thing Rush said. It would have been if the guy saying it had been black but it was worse because Limbaugh is a white conservative talk show host.

    I don't watch ESPN outside of games they cover. Definitely not on anything on their cable TV channels other than games/event broadcasts. This year I watched a few Youtube "First Take" episodes on Lamar but I can only take so much Stephen Smith. I don't like the clown that sit's opposite him either.

    I was talking about NFL broadcasts. I am aware ESPN has gone a little woke lately. I think they are figuring out though that most sports guys don't want to mix all the divisive racial/social politics with their sports news and talk. People are turned off I think by that as much as when people like Rush or Jamele Hill are involved.

    Don't cross the streams man.
    Whoa whoa whoa. What are you talking about. You call his comments harsh and racist and divisive because they came from someone you disagree with?? Because the comments were none of what you mentioned

    It wasnít divisive, because the entire panel was bashing mcnabb for his poor performance
    It wasnít harsh, he was stating facts on his performance. And most agree fed with him
    It wasnít racist to point out the truth that the nfl was propping mcnabb up because he was black. If anyone was racist, it was the nfl for propping him up.

    Just because you have a different opinion, donít make someone harsh, divisive and racist





  7. #43

    Re: SOTU

    Quote Originally Posted by Vlad the lad View Post
    Whoa whoa whoa. What are you talking about. You call his comments harsh and racist and divisive because they came from someone you disagree with?? Because the comments were none of what you mentioned

    It wasn’t divisive, because the entire panel was bashing mcnabb for his poor performance
    It wasn’t harsh, he was stating facts on his performance. And most agree fed with him
    It wasn’t racist to point out the truth that the nfl was propping mcnabb up because he was black. If anyone was racist, it was the nfl for propping him up.

    Just because you have a different opinion, don’t make someone harsh, divisive and racist
    I think a lot of people defending him for saying that would be annoyed, to say the least, if a black broadcaster said that the only reason people were saying a white ball player was any good is because he's white and the media wants to see a white guy do well as (you pick point guard, running back etc.). You're assuming I disagree with the substance what he said. I'm saying that's irrelevant. For me that piece of commentary was enough to detract from my enjoyment of the broadcast. I think I knew immediately it would offend people and kick up a lot of crap. He should have too. Same way people don't want the Kapernick social justice issues injected in their football Thursday/Sunday/Mondays. It's the same thing. There is enough drama and interest in the narrative of the game and players etc.. and it's pretty colorblind and based on players skill, determination... you know common themes. Keep that shi* on your non sports talk shows/other forums. Don't inject it in my football.





  8. #44
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    842

    Re: SOTU

    Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    You're getting hung up on one thing I said. It was just a harsh, unnecessary and pointlessly divisive thing Rush said. It would have been if the guy saying it had been black but it was worse because Limbaugh is a white conservative talk show host.

    I don't watch ESPN outside of games they cover. Definitely not on anything on their cable TV channels other than games/event broadcasts. This year I watched a few Youtube "First Take" episodes on Lamar but I can only take so much Stephen Smith. I don't like the clown that sit's opposite him either.

    I was talking about NFL broadcasts. I am aware ESPN has gone a little woke lately. I think they are figuring out though that most sports guys don't want to mix all the divisive racial/social politics with their sports news and talk. People are turned off I think by that as much as when people like Rush or Jamele Hill are involved.

    Don't cross the streams man.
    Rush wasn't appropriate for an ESPN segment... they brought on a political talk show host that covers social issues a lot, and then clutched their pearls when he said something that was political/social. Jamele Hill was an actual sportscaster that went f'ing insane: She called Trump a White Supremacist and told football players to boycott sponsors. Listen... we can agree and disagree on a lot of stuff, but here is something you NEED to understand (and I honestly think you do).. calling someone a white supremacist... you better have PROOF... SOLID PROOF that they are. It can't be your loosely interpreted opinion because they took a photo with a guy one time 15 years ago who said the n word. When someone is labeled a WS nowadays, they are violently attacked with actual physical violence. ESPN was probably JUST going to suspend her for that comment... but when she attacked NFL sponsors, she was gone the second the last syllable left her lips. It takes a special brand of stupid to have done what she did, and the Atlantic is a joke for picking her up. That being said, and the reason I compare is that you cannot compare. Rush did what he does every day and they lost their shit. Jamele lost her shit and they almost kept her around. Comparing them is an extremist opinion that normalizes what Jamele is, and I don't tolerate that. Her mentality on the subject should be publicly ridiculed and kept off of media period.

    I know this is a long response, but it is something I'm just starting to get fed up with. Having conservative viewpoints, both socially and politically, is in NO WAY comparative to the insane crap that Jamele said. She is an extremist. The insane stuff that AOC, Omar, and Rashida say should not be normalized... it is extremist. The label people with terms like "White Supremacist" and "Nazi"... that's f'ing nuts. White Supremacists and Nazi's kill people. Like actually hang them, or beat them to death. Having a different opinion is just a matter of perspective man. The more we normalize THAT level of crazy, the more people that flock to it (antifa). There are a lot of isolated people out there that feel like they don't belong, and are looking for something to believe in... if they are told that, "Not only are YOU right in your perspective, but the other side is actually trying to KILL PEOPLE..." What do you think that creates? It creates extremists... it is the same tactic the KKK uses to recruit people.
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead





  9. #45
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    Northern VA
    Posts
    842

    Re: SOTU

    Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    I think a lot of people defending him for saying that would be annoyed, to say the least, if a black broadcaster said that the only reason people were saying a white ball player was any good is because he's white and the media wants to see a white guy do well as (you pick point guard, running back etc.). You're assuming I disagree with the substance what he said. I'm saying that's irrelevant. For me that piece of commentary was enough to detract from my enjoyment of the broadcast. I think I knew immediately it would offend people and kick up a lot of crap. He should have too. Same way people don't want the Kapernick social justice issues injected in their football Thursday/Sunday/Mondays. It's the same thing. There is enough drama and interest in the narrative of the game and players etc.. and it's pretty colorblind and based on players skill, determination... you know common themes. Keep that shi* on your non sports talk shows/other forums. Don't inject it in my football.
    To this point... they don't do that with white people. People find it "cute" when there is a good RB or WR that is white.... that is about it. I would find it wildly inappropriate if they started propping them up because they were white lol. Julian Edellman was awesome, but he HAD to be awesome to get any recognition. There have been a lot of good, white RB and WR, but the issue is that they need to be flipping amazing to get recognition. One of the advantages they get is from the scouts because the scouting reports generally call white players slow. White RB and WR love that because usually defenses underestimate them early in the game. I will say that DeShaun Watson was spot on that scouts label black QBs as "Dual Threats" which indicates that they are running QBs every time... which isn't the case. Same scouts called a Japanese QB short and slow on time when he was 6'3'' and ran in the upper half of the QBs that year (kid out of Hawaii I believe).
    "Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else." -Margaret Mead





  10. #46

    Re: SOTU

    Quote Originally Posted by DitkasSausage View Post
    Pelosi literally ripped up a speech that roughly 75% of americans approved of out of spite... she knows she isn't going to be speaker much longer. Problem is that they will replace her with someone MUCH worse honestly. My guess is that it will be Dick Blumenthal if they are smart... they aren't... so it will be like Ayanna Pressley because she checks liberal boxes...
    Dear God, not Blumenthal. I can't stand that guy. His face looks plastic and wet, and everytime he speaks I hear Paul Lynde.

    As for Pelosi's staged tearing, they showed that during the speech she would set aside pages that had already been read and "pre-teared" them so it would be easier to do her dramatic tearing. So whether it was the plan all along or she just came up with it during the speech, I don't know. But it was definitely not spontaneous.





  11. #47

    Re: SOTU

    Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    Dear God, not Blumenthal. I can't stand that guy. His face looks plastic and wet, and everytime he speaks I hear Paul Lynde.

    As for Pelosi's staged tearing, they showed that during the speech she would set aside pages that had already been read and "pre-teared" them so it would be easier to do her dramatic tearing. So whether it was the plan all along or she just came up with it during the speech, I don't know. But it was definitely not spontaneous.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=me_XVm5lXso





  12. #48

    Re: SOTU

    Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    Dear God, not Blumenthal. I can't stand that guy. His face looks plastic and wet, and everytime he speaks I hear Paul Lynde.
    Might as well put up someone as physically appalling as Cocaine Mitch.

    At least Pelosi has some huge funbags.





Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Link To Mobile Site