Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Better to Be One And Done, or To Lose Super Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Hiker View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying the Ravens should throw in the towel and not try in the first round, to avoid losing the Super Bowl later.
    The question is, now that it's over, which was better for the teams and the fans, to lose in the first round or to lose the Super Bowl. It's kind of a comparison between the Ravens and the 49ers. I still think the way the 49ers season ended was worse.
    M H, I think you're disregarding the notion that many people have : are the Ravens (AKA LJ8) good enough to make the playoffs, but choke once in them? At least if your team wins a playoff game or two, you have hope for the coming season. If you're one-and-done in back-to-back years, the questions will be gone over time and time again. Can you just imagine the horror of the 2020 Ravens making the playoffs, with a BYE, then losing their 1st game again? Unfathomable... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    It really comes down to how you want to view the success of the team. If you prefer yearly success, than making the SB and losing still makes you 2nd place. If you have a longer outlook, than a loss is a loss and youd rather have better ammunition to get better.

I think a SB loss is way harder to deal with than a one and done. SB losing teams have had a hard time even making the playoffs the next year in the past. The psychological impact shouldnt be overlooked. A team that loses early, usually ends up building off of it and feeds them going forward.

I fall into the latter with you. its better to fall short entirely and let that eat at you and drive you, while having better chances to improve your roster every round of the draft, than fall short when so close and allow that to eat at you in a worse way and miss out on more prospects. a loss is a loss but a SB loss is the biggest loss you can have, and luckily weve never had to deal with that as a franchise.

This whole scenario doesnt really make much sense though, because you know the outcomes. nobody would say that theyd rather lose than have a chance to win the SB, but since youre telling me were definitely going to lose the SB, i can adjust my thinking to whats best for the team going forward.
    Exactly. I don't know why it's so hard for some people to wrap their head around that.

It ain't rocket science.

I think a SB lost is more painful to get over emotionally. I'd be reliving that 3rd and 15 all offseason as a Niner fan and getting down everytime about the WHAT IF we stopped them. I truly am over the Ravens loss emotionally now, but still extremely pissed off that we lost to a vastly inferior team as #1 seed (mostly coaching which makes it even more amped up). I dont think I would have been any bit ticked off that we made it to the SB and lost.

Now what emotion would you rather have...Being Depressed more with a SB loss or Being Pissed Off with that Titan debacle? I think being Pissed off fuels you more constructively. It think its tougher to pick yourself up from a huge depressing loss. Look at the teams like Atlanta, Carolina, and numerous other SB losers that just don't recover.

Comparing this to our past playoff losses, I'd say the 2006 Colts was way worse. It pissed me off similarly to 2019 Titans with the gameplan and execution but it was also very depressing since it was against the hated Colts and our QB, McNair was on borrowed time. 2020+ seems to have a very bright future (at least I hope).

There really is no right answer to this and its purely on how you feel. I guess if I had to choose with the Ravens hypothetically losing in the SB to Niners vs the actual Titan loss, I'd probably take the Titans loss.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensnhokies View Post
    I think a SB lost is more painful to get over emotionally. I'd be reliving that 3rd and 15 all offseason as a Niner fan and getting down everytime about the WHAT IF we stopped them. I truly am over the Ravens loss emotionally now, but still extremely pissed off that we lost to a vastly inferior team as #1 seed...
    Now what emotion would you rather have: Being Depressed more with a SB loss or Being Pissed Off ... ?
    There's a big difference between ~4 weeks and, like, 2 days. One of those results is MUCH more recent than the other.

I bet by training camp, most fans would be happier being conference champs than one-&-done losers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tottenham Raven View Post
    Maybe it's the futbol fan in me, but I'd much rather have a trophy than no trophy. Sure, the Lamar Hunt Trophy is a consolation prize of sorts, but its still a trophy.
    Of course you would, you’re a Tottenham fan.

Hopefully, ‘The Special One’ can deliver you one.

Blog Entries

As others have started to chime in and imply, in the scenario, you’re being told that in both aspects of it, you are indeed going to lose. You’re not being told, it’s either one and done or you still have a chance at the Title.

I want to be that one team that has an undefeated record in the Super Bowl, and hang over the history of the league like a Specter.

Give me one and done over Super Bowl loss.

As for one and done or not making the playoffs at all, it depends on the loss. If the loss is close in a great game, I can deal with that. If the loss is an embarrassment, it makes me go, “Well what was the point of getting hyped up all season for this?”

Looser mentality why not go 0 -16 and not have to worry about loosing in the playoffs

Blog Entries

Give me one and done.

Did you see how much fun the a Ravens had at the pro bowl? I can’t see them having the same if they’d just lost the Super bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Did you see how much fun the a Ravens had at the pro bowl? I can’t see them having the same if they’d just lost the Super bowl.
    The Ravens seemed to have a lot of fun in New Orleans, the week leading up to the SB.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    As others have started to chime in and imply, in the scenario, you’re being told that in both aspects of it, you are indeed going to lose. You’re not being told, it’s either one and done or you still have a chance at the Title.

I want to be that one team that has an undefeated record in the Super Bowl, and hang over the history of the league like a Specter.

Give me one and done over Super Bowl loss.

As for one and done or not making the playoffs at all, it depends on the loss. If the loss is close in a great game, I can deal with that. If the loss is an embarrassment, it makes me go, “Well what was the point of getting hyped up all season for this?”
    You won't know that unless you make the Super Bowl, one game anything can happen, that is the great thing about football compared to other sport championship games where you can live another day if you lose.

In the Super Bowl you better bring the A game!! If the Ravens learned anything this season is once you make the playoffs be totally prepared and treat every team as public enemy #1

Blog Entries

In this scenario, we do know. You lose the Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    This.

Right now, when I hear the chant about how many Rings a team has, I still can come back with the question about how it feels when your team loses a Super Bowl? And no other team has won multiple Super Bowls and not lost.
    Captain Offense