Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Better to Be One And Done, or To Lose Super Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The goal is to win a Super Bowl. The closer you come to doing that the better in my view
    Brother Bat, you and I see eye-to-eye on this subject. At least if your team makes the BIG Game, but loses, you had a chance at a championship. If you go 1-and-done, then you'll question "what might have been" ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Brother Bat, you and I see eye-to-eye on this subject. At least if your team makes the BIG Game, but loses, you had a chance at a championship. If you go 1-and-done, then you'll question "what might have been" ... Bc
    I agree. Going one and done the last two years almost makes me forget about the regular season success. And letting a super bowl hangover derail your team the next season isn't something I'm worried about with the Ravens.

The fans are already getting restless. It will get really ugly if the Ravens don't win a playoff game next year assuming the team isn't ravaged by injuries.

Gimme a one and done and a better draft pick for next year.

Blog Entries

Thumbs down Re: Better to Be One And Done, or To Lose Super Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by OhThePossibilities View Post
    Gimme a one and done and a better draft pick for next year.
    Are you serious? The difference is the #28 draft pick to the #31. You believe that's significant enough to go one-and-done? That is the worst idea I've heard yet... Bc

i dont want a blow out in the supa bowl

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Are you serious? The difference is the #28 draft pick to the #31. You believe that's significant enough to go one-and-done? That is the worst idea I've heard yet... Bc
    Yes. I'm serious.

And the difference isn't always gonna be 28 to 31. That's literally the worst possible pick you could have with a one and done. Sure, that's what we got this time. But you could potentially be picking 21 in a one and done scenario.

Either way it ends in a loss. Either way it ends in pain.

At least in a one and done you've got better ammunition heading into the following year.

You can think that's a terrible idea all you want. It's still my answer.

Blog Entries

Yes. I'm serious.

And the difference isn't always gonna be 28 to 31. That's literally the worst possible pick you could have with a one and done. Sure, that's what we got this time. But you could potentially be picking 21 in a one and done scenario.

At least in a one and done you've got better ammunition heading into the following year.

Well then, you and I my friend, have to part ways here. To me even the 21st vs. the 31st draft pick doesn't amount to a hill of beans compared to our Ravens making it to the Super Bowl (even if they lose). It's still not only an honor, but we'd be the AFC champions too. Would you rather us be "also rans?" Not me... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Hiker View Post
    I'm not sure all Buffalo fans felt that way after losing 4 straight. I recall reading articles at the time quoting Bills fans who said they would rather not make the Super Bowl than go there and lose again.
    I'm sure glad Elway did not have the same philosophy after losing three Super Bowl appearances in the late 80's, All three games were demoralizing blowouts, 7 years later he rode into the sunset with back to back Lombardi's.

Yes. I'm serious.

SMH.

Shit take of the year.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

Yes. I'm serious.

It really comes down to how you want to view the success of the team. If you prefer yearly success, than making the SB and losing still makes you 2nd place. If you have a longer outlook, than a loss is a loss and youd rather have better ammunition to get better.

I think a SB loss is way harder to deal with than a one and done. SB losing teams have had a hard time even making the playoffs the next year in the past. The psychological impact shouldnt be overlooked. A team that loses early, usually ends up building off of it and feeds them going forward.

I fall into the latter with you. its better to fall short entirely and let that eat at you and drive you, while having better chances to improve your roster every round of the draft, than fall short when so close and allow that to eat at you in a worse way and miss out on more prospects. a loss is a loss but a SB loss is the biggest loss you can have, and luckily weve never had to deal with that as a franchise.

This whole scenario doesnt really make much sense though, because you know the outcomes. nobody would say that theyd rather lose than have a chance to win the SB, but since youre telling me were definitely going to lose the SB, i can adjust my thinking to whats best for the team going forward.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 02-05-2020 at 08:39 AM.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by JimZipCode View Post
    I'd rather have my team be a part of Super Bowl week, than NOT part of Super Bowl week.

I'd rather be a conf champ, than NOT be a conf champ.

I'd rather have a chance to win it all, than NOT have a chance, and just be among the 30 teams watching at home.

You gotta play to win.

As Teddy Roosevelt said, it's better to know defeat than to be a pussy who doesn't try:

“Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.”
    — Theodore Roosevelt, "The Stenuous Life" (speech delivered at The Hamilton Club in Chicago, 10 April 1899)

“The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
    — Theodore Roosevelt, "Citizenship in a Republic" (speech delivered at the Sorbonne in Paris, 23 April 1910)
    I don't think anyone is saying the Ravens should throw in the towel and not try in the first round, to avoid losing the Super Bowl later.
    The question is, now that it's over, which was better for the teams and the fans, to lose in the first round or to lose the Super Bowl. It's kind of a comparison between the Ravens and the 49ers. I still think the way the 49ers season ended was worse.