Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Better to Be One And Done, or To Lose Super Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    A Super Bowl loss means that all of those young guys had the experience of making the playoffs and winning two games (assuming a bye). Wouldn't you feel better about this team's chances next year knowing they've had success in the playoffs vs. what they've done the past two years?
    moose, yours is an excellent take on it. Giving the young players a taste of playoff victory, then the hunger for more, has a meaningful effect on their future... Bc

Re: Better to Be One And Done, or To Lose Super Bowl?

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    If you would say, "Hey, you can be part of winning the AFC in your stadium, with all the excitement and confetti and fireworks that goes along with it...then have a great 2 week run-up to the Super Bowl and come short in the end...or get dumped by the fucking Titans in your first game"...

I know what i would choose.
    This.

I know losing the Super Bowl would suck...getting really close to come up short absolutely would be a gut punch.

But this one and done shit is for the birds...especially losing at home. if it were to continue with the same cast of characters, it would eventually numb a lot of people of regular season success if all you are going to do is lose the first playoff game.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I think losing a Superbowl would be worse.

Thankfully the Ravens are 2-0. I hope I see another ring but I never want to lose the big game.

Look at LT Joe STaley. Guy has lost 2 superbowls. That has to feel horrible as a player.
    I think the media should not have immediate access to the losing team after a loss like that. They tend to ask some stupid ass questions like the moron asking Sanders about the play where he was open and Garrapolo just missed him.
    Last edited by ravensfan7716; 02-04-2020 at 12:13 PM.

I'll take the Super Bowl loss as well. Hell give me 4 SB losses like the Bills. I'd rather be a Bills fan from 91-94 than be a fan of one of the perennial loser teams during that time. Yes time tends to forget the losers and the only reason the Bills are remembered is because they lost 4 in a row.

It is still damn impressive that a team made the Super Bowl 4 years in a row.

Just me but I'd take making it there and losing any day. Just like I'd take making the playoffs and losing vs not making it in

I am not sure I can answer that question in a Black-and-White sense. There are too many variables to take into account, and frankly I have to just deal with whatever happens for each game. I am still scarred from the 2006 playoff loss than anything else.

Do I want to be known as a team that made it to the Super Bowl and never won? Do I want to be known as a team that lost close games all the time; or that made it and was embarrassed each time? Would I like the same score in the Super Bowl as in the Titans' game, with the memory of a game that did not seem to be close?

In a general sense, I think I could handle a loss in the Super Bowl like the 2011 AFCCG better than one like the Titans' game. A failure to step up and compete in a close contest on the national stage without any other game would be harder to swallow than being lost in the wash in the Divisional round.

Hopefully I never have to face the experience though.
    Captain Offense

I was on call at hospital for our playoff loss and the superbowl. It be harder to miss the superbowl that we were in... So I vote one and done

Blog Entries

I always want to go as far as I can even if that's a blow out loss in the Super Bowl

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I always want to go as far as I can even if that's a blow out loss in the Super Bowl
    You're a braver man than I Bat Man.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I'd feel much better about a super bowl loss than a one and done. Heck at least they would've played well enough to get that far.

I'm sure the players would get much more out the experience than the fiascoes of the last 2 years as well.

"I can accept failure; everybody fails at something. But I can't accept not trying."
    -Michael Jordan

Maybe it's the futbol fan in me, but I'd much rather have a trophy than no trophy. Sure, the Lamar Hunt Trophy is a consolation prize of sorts, but its still a trophy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    You're a braver man than I Bat Man.
    The goal is to win a Super Bowl. The closer you come to doing that the better in my view
    Last edited by GOTA; 02-04-2020 at 04:40 PM.