Page 4 of 364 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: 2020 Off-Season Thread: News & Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    I agree that Chris Jones would be the guy to get. However, I sure wouldn't complain if Armstead or Fowler would be picked up instead. I wouldn't want Dupree at all. He is a product of Watt being on the other side. I'd keep Judon over him anytime. As for Campbell, he is 33 years old. No thank you. When we (not if we) cut Jefferson we will have over 28 M in cap space. That's a lot of money and we can certainly pick up one of these guys. I think Judon is what Zadarius Smith was last year before he left. He will never be the "man" but if you have another pass rushing threat on the other side (like Preston Smith for GB) then his sack totals will soar even more.

Honestly, I'd seriously consider keeping Judon and see if I could get another FA pass rusher. If you do that, I think this could fix a lot of our problems. If Judon is going to cost too much, then you have to look for at least two pass rushing threats when he leaves.
    Don't we need to wait until he is recovered from his injury before we can cut him? That could be too late to really benefit from any cap space he would provide.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think if they can figure out the $$$, then keeping Judon and adding someone like Chris Jones, Dante Fowler, Markus Golden, Arik Armstead...yea, that would go a long way to improving the front-7.

I just think Judon is going to want too much $$$.
    Agreed.

That's why I think you aim for 2 lower guys. A Markus Golden, Robert Quinn type EDGE rusher with a CCampbell, McCoy, Hargraves type IDL guy.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

3. Re: 2020 Off-Season Thread: News & Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Agreed.

That's why I think you aim for 2 lower guys. A Markus Golden, Robert Quinn type EDGE rusher with a CCampbell, McCoy, Hargraves type IDL guy.
    This.

The funny thing is, Judon is a second tier guy too, but he's about to get paid like a top-tier edge. If we pay him like he's "the man," we won't have enough money left to get the other guy, and we'll be right back where we were this year, but with less cap room.

Last time I checked the rules of poker, 2 kings beats 1 ace. We shouldn't overpay Judon under any circumstances.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I don't see the Ravens going for a splash WR. You already have Andrews, Hurst, Hollywood and Snead. I think they expect a lot out of Boykin off season and next season. I would target someone in the draft and see if they can push guys like Scott for spots on the depth chart.

Zero interest in signing a WR.

All FA dollars should go into the DL. This DL class is very deep. The WR drat class is very deep.

Capitalize on the value.

Top needs:
    IDL - Best to get a FA to be a penetrating 1T who can get after the passer (Hargraves) or a 3T who can slide Williams over to the 1T (McCoy).
    ILB - No FA's that fit. Gotta go draft.
    EDGE - Probably 1 FA and draft a guy too. Who you draft would depend on where they put their FA dollars.
    WR - Draft 100%
    IOL - Draft 100%

So basically:
    DL = FA
    Everything else = draft

Address the DL in FA and you have a lot more flexibility to go BPA in the draft. Obviously double ups will happen (i.e. we could sign 1 DT and draft 1 DT, same with EDGE)
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

We say that every year for a lot of teams, but then they go and figure shit out.

Some potential cuts for them:
    Joe Haden - clears $7 mill against their cap.
    Vance McDonald - clears over $6 mill against their cap.

They could also restructure Ben's contract. He has a $33 mill cap hit this year. I would be surprised if they didn't try to convert some of that to bonus money, etc.
    They're going to be paying Ben until he's 50. Good grief...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    It simply needs to be an interior guy. I'm quite confident Bowser would not be too far off Judon's numbers if he's the next man up, and being realistic a top edge rusher would not necessarily give the Ravens many more sacks over Judon's 9.5. Sooooo much untapped potential on the inside though. Wormley, Ward, Williams and Pierce had 4 sacks combined in 2019. And that's it.
    I feel the same, the edge guys get all the glory, but you need an interior pass rush if you are going to be a good pass rushing team.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I really like Littleton from the Rams, but he's going to be way too expensive.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I really like Littleton from the Rams, but he's going to be way too expensive.
    Also, is he that much of an upgrade over Peanut? I'm not so sure.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Zero interest in signing a WR.

All FA dollars should go into the DL. This DL class is very deep. The WR drat class is very deep.

Capitalize on the value.

Top needs:
    IDL - Best to get a FA to be a penetrating 1T who can get after the passer (Hargraves) or a 3T who can slide Williams over to the 1T (McCoy).
    ILB - No FA's that fit. Gotta go draft.
    EDGE - Probably 1 FA and draft a guy too. Who you draft would depend on where they put their FA dollars.
    WR - Draft 100%
    IOL - Draft 100%

So basically:
    DL = FA
    Everything else = draft

Address the DL in FA and you have a lot more flexibility to go BPA in the draft. Obviously double ups will happen (i.e. we could sign 1 DT and draft 1 DT, same with EDGE)
    It is going to be very hard to get iDL pass rushing capability in FA. Campbell is 33 and still wants to be paid. I like McCoy less after a year in Carolina, and will he want to move his family again after one year?

The Draft is tight too - Derrick Brown will be gone and we would have to move up at unpleasant cost to get Javon Kinlaw. The only other pass rushing DTs of quality I can see so far are Ross Blacklock, who is #18 on Daniel Jeremiah's Big Board and Neville Gallimore, who proably will go early in the 2nd round.

It is much easier to get quality Edge/OLB in FA or trade (Kerrigan) than iDL. For this reason, Blacklock is looking very good to me.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Also, is he that much of an upgrade over Peanut? I'm not so sure.
    I think he is...he's well thought of around the league. Pro Bowls aren't everything of course, but Littleton made one last year and was second team all pro. Peanut has struggled to even be a full time starter.

Peanut has no idea what he's doing half the time if he's not blitzing. I have an extremely low opinion of Peanut's game unless he's just a situational guy.

Quote Originally Posted by DanManMdFan View Post
    They're going to be paying Ben until he's 50. Good grief...lol.
    I love this - Ben will really screw the Steelers whether he is playing or not. No matter the real shape of his old arm on his fatass body, he will act like he is rarin' to come back and save them. Ben is going to cash in big time and Colbert is in a real bind.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)