Page 3 of 364 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 2020 Off-Season Thread: News & Rumors

Quote Originally Posted by Valhain View Post
    It simply needs to be an interior guy. I'm quite confident Bowser would not be too far off Judon's numbers if he's the next man up, and being realistic a top edge rusher would not necessarily give the Ravens many more sacks over Judon's 9.5. Sooooo much untapped potential on the inside though. Wormley, Ward, Williams and Pierce had 4 sacks combined in 2019. And that's it.
    Yea, great point. That's a huge problem.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jfoh View Post
    When the Raven defense were great they had one great player at each of the three levels. We have great players in the backfield but no where else. Most of the rest are average to slightly above average. But don’t be fooled. Add one well above average guy, to the line and lb group and it improves everybody around them. A Jones, Clowney or other athletic player would have a major impact. You can only double team one player at a time.

We need more speed on the ends or at middle lb. both would be best. With cap space and multiple draft picks we should see improvements at both areas. This is a deep draft at wr so unless a stud drops down to us in the first I’d be open to any of many players to increase our defense rush speed.
    I think there will be some ILB options in the draft where we're picking.

Ken Murray or Patrick Queen are two really good, athletic, 3-down linebackers. One of them will likely be there at 28.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    IMO, Amari Cooper is the only guy closest to being a "true #1".

He had one lousy year in Oakland (still caught 7 TD's though). Other than that, he's had over 1,000 yards in each of his years. He's also been pretty reliable if I recall correctly.

Is Amari Cooper an AJ Green in his prime or a Michael Thomas? No. Definitely not.

However, Cooper is definitely someone that could be a feature WR for the Ravens.

The question is...what would he cost? Based on his age and productivity, you have to imagine he's angling for Top-5 WR money. So, that would put him around $18-20mill annually.

you left out one thing.....Why would he come to the Ravens? WR's like Willie Snead who are content with 3-4 targets and run blocking most of the time they are on the field are very rare.

I have to imagine the Steelers keep him. Also...I wouldn't be interested in Dupree either. He has been mediocre as hell until this contract year. That would concern me.
    The steelers can't afford Bud Dupree. They probably can't afford anyone. Have you seen their cap room?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ninetysixer View Post
    you left out one thing.....Why would he come to the Ravens? WR's like Willie Snead who are content with 3-4 targets and run blocking most of the time they are on the field are very rare.
    I tend to agree, i don't see the value in trying to pay top dollar for Amari Cooper. Rather see us try to hit a #1 thru the draft although that has been a thorn in our side in the past.
    "When you go into the lions den, you don't tippy-toe in. You carry a spear. You go in screaming like a banshee and say, 'Where's the son of a bitch?""
    - Brian Billick - postgame after beating Titans in Divisional playoff 2001

Twitter handle: @radams8483

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ninetysixer View Post
    I think that's a valid point. It's definitely one I've considered.

From the team's perspective - why pay upwards of $20 million to a WR when the offensive design is centered around the run and controlling the clock? Seems like mishandling precious cap space resources. There is a legitimate argument that, on the offense, that money would be better spent on the OL.

From the FA Wr's perspective - why go to a team where the top receiving target is Mark Andrews? I might be lucky to get targeted 5 or 6 times per game and of those targets, there is a fair chance that only 3 or 4 of them are really catchable passes.

I guess the one X-Factor is Lamar Jackson. Everyone LOVES that kid and the Ravens are 7-1 favorites to win the SB next year.

Cool Re: 2020 Off-Season Thread: News & Rumors

I agree. I dont see anyone replicating 9.5 sacks...which really isnt a lot in today's NFL when you have 18 players that registered 10 or more sacks in 2019.

Matt Judon was tied for 19th with Jordan Phillips and Mario Addison.

Players that had more sacks than Judon in 2019:

Myles Garrett
    Arik Armstead
    Maxx Crosby (rookie)
    Markus Golden
    Josh Allen (rookie)
    Juston Houston
    Robert Quinn
    Dante Fowler
    Joey Bosa
    Bud Dupree
    Preston Smith
    Aaron Donald
    Zadarius Smith
    TJ Watt
    Danielle Hunter
    Cameron Jordan
    Chandler Jones
    Shaq Barrett

Food for thought - Dante Fowler, Bud Dupree, Markus Golden, and Arik Armstead are all UFA's.
    I agree that Chris Jones would be the guy to get. However, I sure wouldn't complain if Armstead or Fowler would be picked up instead. I wouldn't want Dupree at all. He is a product of Watt being on the other side. I'd keep Judon over him anytime. As for Campbell, he is 33 years old. No thank you. When we (not if we) cut Jefferson we will have over 28 M in cap space. That's a lot of money and we can certainly pick up one of these guys. I think Judon is what Zadarius Smith was last year before he left. He will never be the "man" but if you have another pass rushing threat on the other side (like Preston Smith for GB) then his sack totals will soar even more.

Honestly, I'd seriously consider keeping Judon and see if I could get another FA pass rusher. If you do that, I think this could fix a lot of our problems. If Judon is going to cost too much, then you have to look for at least two pass rushing threats when he leaves.

Blog Entries

I think that's a valid point. It's definitely one I've considered.

From the team's perspective - why pay upwards of $20 million to a WR when the offensive design is centered around the run and controlling the clock? Seems like mishandling precious cap space resources. There is a legitimate argument that, on the offense, that money would be better spent on the OL.

From the FA Wr's perspective - why go to a team where the top receiving target is Mark Andrews? I might be lucky to get targeted 5 or 6 times per game and of those targets, there is a fair chance that only 3 or 4 of them are really catchable passes.

I guess the one X-Factor is Lamar Jackson. Everyone LOVES that kid and the Ravens are 7-1 favorites to win the SB next year.
    I'm interested to see what AJ Green may get on the FA market. I wouldn't be opposed to seeing the Ravens offer Green something like 2 yrs $30M and see if he would bite. This seems to be more on par of the Ravens way - signing a vet #1 rather than paying premium for younger #1.
    "When you go into the lions den, you don't tippy-toe in. You carry a spear. You go in screaming like a banshee and say, 'Where's the son of a bitch?""
    - Brian Billick - postgame after beating Titans in Divisional playoff 2001

Twitter handle: @radams8483

Markus Golden would be a great target.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DanManMdFan View Post
    The steelers can't afford Bud Dupree. They probably can't afford anyone. Have you seen their cap room?
    We say that every year for a lot of teams, but then they go and figure shit out.

Some potential cuts for them:
    Joe Haden - clears $7 mill against their cap.
    Vance McDonald - clears over $6 mill against their cap.

They could also restructure Ben's contract. He has a $33 mill cap hit this year. I would be surprised if they didn't try to convert some of that to bonus money, etc.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    I agree that Chris Jones would be the guy to get. However, I sure wouldn't complain if Armstead or Fowler would be picked up instead. I wouldn't want Dupree at all. He is a product of Watt being on the other side. I'd keep Judon over him anytime. As for Campbell, he is 33 years old. No thank you. When we (not if we) cut Jefferson we will have over 28 M in cap space. That's a lot of money and we can certainly pick up one of these guys. I think Judon is what Zadarius Smith was last year before he left. He will never be the "man" but if you have another pass rushing threat on the other side (like Preston Smith for GB) then his sack totals will soar even more.

Honestly, I'd seriously consider keeping Judon and see if I could get another FA pass rusher. If you do that, I think this could fix a lot of our problems. If Judon is going to cost too much, then you have to look for at least two pass rushing threats when he leaves.
    I think if they can figure out the $$$, then keeping Judon and adding someone like Chris Jones, Dante Fowler, Markus Golden, Arik Armstead...yea, that would go a long way to improving the front-7.

I just think Judon is going to want too much $$$.

We are on the same page Wicked!