Page 1 of 364 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

2020 Off-Season Thread: News & Rumors

It starts...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Re: 2020 Off-Season Thread: News & Rumors

So, I guess the biggest rumor for the Ravens right now is that Judon probably is not in the future plans.

Lets get a true #1 WR to be on the field at the same time with Hollywood. Go get em DeCosta!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    So, I guess the biggest rumor for the Ravens right now is that Judon probably is not in the future plans.

I can understand why people think that's a good thing. He'll cost a lot. He's a good second edge player to me, and with another credible passrusher opposite him or in the DL I think it would result in more big plays. I'm not sure he's worth a premium contract, which is probably what he'll get. That said I thought the same about Za Smith.

If it was affordable to have him and Chris Jones, I think that would be huge.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    I can understand why people think that's a good thing. He'll cost a lot. He's a good second edge player to me, and with another credible passrusher opposite him or in the DL I think it would result in more big plays. I'm not sure he's worth a premium contract, which is probably what he'll get. That said I thought the same about Za Smith.

The problem with letting Judon walk is that we have no one currently on the roster that can replace his 9.5 sacks. The next closest guy is Bowser, with 5 sacks on the year, which surprised me in of itself. Maybe they think they can bring up Bowser in Judon's role. I have no idea. Either way, upgrading the front 7 is going to be the #1 priority this offseason. They simply weren't good enough, even with Judon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post

I'm on the fence.

On one hand, he's 28 years old (he was an old rookie) and his best season to date is 9.5 sacks. I think there is an argument to be made that he was/is trending upwards...but I don't see that reaching a peak spot where you'd feel comfortable investing $16-18 mill per year.

On the other hand, he's a leader on and off the field. He clearly has a great relationship with his teammates. He is more than just a sack artist - he has had 41 tackles for loss and 72 QB hits in the last 3 seasons. He's also averaging 53 tackles/season in the last 3 years, which for an edge/end player is pretty good. For comparison, Khalil Mack has averaged 57 tackles per season for the last 3 years (obviously the biggest difference is Mack is a true sack artist).

Another plus component for Matt Judon is that he has been consistently available. Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's only missed 2 games since 2016 and those two games were in his rookie year in 2016. It's nice to have that level of reliability in defensive starters.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Purplenemesis View Post
    The problem with letting Judon walk is that we have no one currently on the roster that can replace his 9.5 sacks. The next closest guy is Bowser, with 5 sacks on the year, which surprised me in of itself. Maybe they think they can bring up Bowser in Judon's role. I have no idea. Either way, upgrading the front 7 is going to be the #1 priority this offseason. They simply weren't good enough, even with Judon.
    I agree. I dont see anyone replicating 9.5 sacks...which really isnt a lot in today's NFL when you have 18 players that registered 10 or more sacks in 2019.

Matt Judon was tied for 19th with Jordan Phillips and Mario Addison.

Players that had more sacks than Judon in 2019:

Myles Garrett
    Arik Armstead
    Maxx Crosby (rookie)
    Markus Golden
    Josh Allen (rookie)
    Juston Houston
    Robert Quinn
    Dante Fowler
    Joey Bosa
    Bud Dupree
    Preston Smith
    Aaron Donald
    Zadarius Smith
    TJ Watt
    Danielle Hunter
    Cameron Jordan
    Chandler Jones
    Shaq Barrett

Food for thought - Dante Fowler, Bud Dupree, Markus Golden, and Arik Armstead are all UFA's.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo&Dilly View Post
    Lets get a true #1 WR to be on the field at the same time with Hollywood. Go get em DeCosta!
    WR Free Agents....

Not all that exciting unless the Ravens land Amari Cooper.

Quote Originally Posted by Purplenemesis View Post
    Judon's sacks were a function of exceptional Ravens secondary coverage (by Humphrey and Peters et al) on the back end and not really a function of Judon's irreplaceable talent. Let him get his big contract somewhere else and run to the podium in 2021 with his 3rd round comp pick.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    WR Free Agents....

Not all that exciting unless the Ravens land Amari Cooper.
    After one year with Eric calling the shots, here is what we know. He isn't following the Ozzie blueprint. No disrespect to Ozzie, but EDC's bold moves of trading for a Pro Bowler in Season (for a role ILB, and a draft pick), releasing O'Lineman before they become URFA's and getting Draft capital back, leveraging a place kicker/punter for a draft pick. And what perhaps is my favorite aspect of the late year or so... Targeting play makers from the Big-12 including lineman that know how to block in the wide-open pass rich offenses. It's not the game the Ravens currently play, with the run heavy approach. But, drafting speed and valuing speed is something that was grossly overlooked for about 6 years.. I would say prepare for the unexpected. The dynamic of shedding some big salaries and re-tooling while the bulk of the offense is under team control for three more years is very appealing.

ILB, WR, line play both sides would be my focus. However, we saw what secondary and back end depth did for Wink. So I wouldn't be surprised if we continue to have that as our Defensive ID.

Blog Entries

I really don't think Dupree is that good, would prefer Judon over him.

I still think I'd prefer to get 2 lesser pieces than 1 premium guy.

I think the DL just needs to become disruptive. Get me Hargraves and Quinn. Draft a SAM to play with Bowser. Draft an interior pass rusher to rotaste like Raqueon Williams.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB