Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Starting a business? Maybe. Tips?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Look into marketing/social media marketing. Can use that to learn how to promote your business
    Yea thats going to be something i really need to work on as social media is something i never really use. This and Twitter is where i spend most of my time, i dont even have facebook at the moment, but i know doing this i will definitely need to.

Have any of you guys used legalzoom for any business type stuff? From what im reading, you can do the LLC yourself and save money, but when when you go through legalzoom im wondering if all the extra cost is just fee bs they add in. Another thing to research for me
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    Yea thats going to be something i really need to work on as social media is something i never really use. This and Twitter is where i spend most of my time, i dont even have facebook at the moment, but i know doing this i will definitely need to.

Have any of you guys used legalzoom for any business type stuff? From what im reading, you can do the LLC yourself and save money, but when when you go through legalzoom im wondering if all the extra cost is just fee bs they add in. Another thing to research for me
    My wife used U.S Legal forms. You can save money but I think the LLC cost was like $600.

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    My wife used U.S Legal forms. You can save money but I think the LLC cost was like $600.
    Damn. From what im reading its very cheap here in arkansas, about 50$ to file online. There are just a lot of little questions i have, like does the name of the LLC mean thats the name of the business? Stuff like that im going to have to find out. Reddit will definitely be a go to
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Damn. From what im reading its very cheap here in arkansas, about 50$ to file online. There are just a lot of little questions i have, like does the name of the LLC mean thats the name of the business? Stuff like that im going to have to find out. Reddit will definitely be a go to
    You can do it all yourself but I suggest if you think you can afford it find a good accountant that works with small business guys just like you. They will mail you your filings and do your taxes at the end of the year for a nominal fee. You can probably ease into it yourself once you see what your paperwork obligations are to the state and uncle sam. Accountants make life easier though.

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    You can do it all yourself but I suggest if you think you can afford it find a good accountant that works with small business guys just like you. They will mail you your filings and do your taxes at the end of the year for a nominal fee. You can probably ease into it yourself once you see what your paperwork obligations are to the state and uncle sam. Accountants make life easier though.
    I think im going to file for the LLC myself which all can be done online, then talk to some friends and use an accountant for everything after. Not sure when i should start though, like i dont want to get an LLC tomorrow and not be able to do anything with the business for a year or something, if that makes sense.

Order of operations

1) Acquire supplies, work on website
    2) File LLC, find accountant
    3) marketing ie cards, flyers, social media, craigslist
    4) work my ass off

I am going to spend today researching costs and steps moving ahead.

Blog Entries

Definitely seems like the way i will go, since this just came to me yesterday there is still a lot of research to do but what you laid out is basically the road to go down. Word of mouth is always the best advertisement. I have never done anything like this so a lot of research and note taking of the next week will be all im doing. with such limited funds, i mean very limited, this might take longer than i want but im happy to finally have a direction.

I still need to do something with my Gi Bill, only have 7 years left to us it
    Charles, as said above, you can advertise free on Craigslist and try Facebook Marketplace(very popular). I've sold stuff on both. It cost me nothing. If you go to Facebook Marketplace, just type in cleaning services and a bunch will come up, many local to your area. This will give you an idea of your competition and their prices. Best of luck.

Blog Entries

If you're looking for a website, I'd recommend Square Space or Wix. I've used both, they're both really easy to use and not very expensive. You can sync them with a mobile app as well.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    If you're looking for a website, I'd recommend Square Space or Wix. I've used both, they're both really easy to use and not very expensive. You can sync them with a mobile app as well.
    I've heard of them both. I also need to look into accepting payments with debit/credit cards

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

I've heard of them both. I also need to look into accepting payments with debit/credit cards

Sent from my LG-M430 using Tapatalk
    Yea, you can do that with those sites.

Basically, you can set up packages on those sites...customers can access the site and book appointments, pick their package, and pay online.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Set up a separate business bank account and credit card. Commingling with your personal expenses makes for a real mess. If you need to draw from personal to fund the business, do it as a transfer or write the business a check and deposit into the business account.

You probably want to get accounting software like Quickbooks to keep track of your revenue and expenses. You need to know your numbers to make informed decisions as you go. Chances are high your initial plans will change as you learn more.

Make sure with each customer you spell out exactly what you will do and what is not included. Do it in writing so there is no confusion when they come back to you saying "I thought that included ____"

Don't forget to include your overheads in the pricing. You're going to be burning gas to get around, pay an accountant, insurance, bonding of employees, payroll taxes, etc. If you accept debit/credit you'll be paying 5-7% on that. Those are all deductible as business expenses, but if your initial price isn't adequate to cover, you're really not making any money in the end. And it is very difficult to go to a customer and tell them you need to increase your rates significantly.

I think im going to file for the LLC myself which all can be done online, then talk to some friends and use an accountant for everything after. Not sure when i should start though, like i dont want to get an LLC tomorrow and not be able to do anything with the business for a year or something, if that makes sense.

Order of operations

1) Acquire supplies, work on website
    2) File LLC, find accountant
    3) marketing ie cards, flyers, social media, craigslist
    4) work my ass off

I am going to spend today researching costs and steps moving ahead.
    You can start out using supplies provided by the homeowner. Our house cleaner uses our supplies.

Does your town have a small business office or anything that you could talk to to learn about regulations on cleaning businesses?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk